Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone seen this.....

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
80% of the crowd don't have printed tickets, and a similar number don't have a program - nor would you want them to be stood holding a bit of paper / programm up, when they ought to be clapping the team out. The screens are there for a reason. Use them.

Then the 80% are season ticket holders who should damn well know the words already IMO.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Not sure of your point.

The atmosphere BEFORE that Palace game WAS good, so not sure what you mean by 'that went well' - unless you are suggesting that having the words printed contributed to the result? That would be a bit silly, wouldn't it?

And yes, I agree - fading the music for the chorus WOULD improve the atmosphere immediately pre-kick off. Fading it earlier and having EVERYONE sing the whole thing, would improve it even more. IMO.

It was, but we lost. Had we won - the clacker idea would have been forgiven immediately. Similarly with Derby, you think the reaction to them having words on a screen would have been different if they didnt win ? I certainly think it would have been. Having words in the programme is a better idea, also do a history of the song etc - not to mention it opens it up a bit for away fans so they know a bit about us.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
If the club are really adamant about getting the atmosphere going why not put the beer prices down and print the words on the tickets and/or in the programme.

So lowering the beer prices would get the atmosphere going? Brilliant. Maybe you should email Tony Bloom and Paul Barber with your idea.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
This is the way to go. And if anyone thinks it's 'tinpot' maybe they can explain how going der, der, de der because you don't know the words is less 'tinpot' ?

Wise words

Correct. FFS, if you get embarrassed that your football team may put the lyrics up to a song then you really have too much to worry about.

That

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Derby do it with their club song, and the crowd really ramp it up. I don't think they are particularly tinpot, and that ground has one of the best atmospheres in the league. IMO, of course.

In the Play off 2nd leg, we were drowned out when they sang that. I was hugely impressed at the time and wasn't standing there thinking 'How tinpot putting the words on the screen' I was thinking 'Kin Hell, When was the last time I was in an atmosphere like this? I said it at the time but the way Derby have the away fans plonked in the middle of 2 sections who sing really helps the atmosphere and the way the club was together is something we could learn from.

For what its worth, Put the words on the screen. I went to my first Albion game in 1982. I don't know the words. I can't be the only one.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Then the 80% are season ticket holders who should damn well know the words already IMO.

They damn well should, but as was apparent last week, they damn well don't. Maybe they could be tested at the turnstyle before they are let in, turn them away if they damn well don't or, alternatively, the words could be put on screen until they damn well do ?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

But many of them, especially the younger ones DON'T. Repeating that 'they damn well should' is helping nobody and achieving nothing. You can offer proposed solutions, as Tony Bloom has requested, or you can sit and sulk. Whatever.

It was, but we lost. Had we won - the clacker idea would have been forgiven immediately. Similarly with Derby, you think the reaction to them having words on a screen would have been different if they didnt win ? I certainly think it would have been. Having words in the programme is a better idea, also do a history of the song etc - not to mention it opens it up a bit for away fans so they know a bit about us.

First - your post assumes that Derby only put the words up for that one match. They didn't.

Having words in the program would achieve nothing. There are only 4000 programs sold, and nobody who even has one, would bother flicking through it trying to find the right page at the given time, when they want to be clapping and singing.

Its words. On a screen. Get over it.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Fans should know the words - simple as that. If they insist in putting the words in, put them in the programme.

Its a bloody awful idea. Oh, and that Twitter "poll" results have been severely changed by Palace fans.....shows how embarrassing it is. Its a football match, not a karaoke session - know the words before you go to the game. As a comparison, do Palace stick the words to "Glad all Over" on their screen ? No. Do Liverpool for YNWA ? No. Do Sunderland for their song ? No.

Its almost as if we are trying to look like a laughing stock and pretty much admitting we have too many new fans, which we do.

*Awaits flaming for actually coming out and saying my full opinion against what others think*

How hard is it to sing "I wanna be *clap* *clap* glad all over" or YNWA come to that - if people are worried it will give the away fans a giggle then put it on the South screen and not the north then the away fans might not notice. Have you ever listened to how many sing SBTS Ner Ner Ner Ner andweregoinguptowinthecupforsusbytsea

Something needs to happen

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I'm off to the beach for the day now and when I get back to Brighton for the next home game I damn well expect the damn words to be on the damn screen :cool::bigwave:

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
First - your post assumes that Derby only put the words up for that one match. They didn't.

Having words in the program would achieve nothing. There are only 4000 programs sold, and nobody who even has one, would bother flicking through it trying to find the right page at the given time, when they want to be clapping and singing.

Its words. On a screen Get over it.

Well it could increase sales for a start, FFP and all that. Besides, who said you have to read it like a church hymn. You read up the words BEFORE the song. Its a football match, not a singalong.

Yes, it is words on a screen, but its pretty bloody tinpot. If Derby frequently do it, then effectively we are needing to copy another club whilst admitting our fans cant even learn the rather easy words to a song which is about a minute long (the Amex version anyway).

Taking Palace fans off the tweet from the club, it (vaguely) looks like a near 50/50 split. A better poll or survey is needed if they really want to gauge fan opinion on it, and yes - i would be saying the exact same things to the club as I would be now.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Not sure of your point.

The atmosphere BEFORE that Palace game WAS good, so not sure what you mean by 'that went well' - unless you are suggesting that having the words printed contributed to the result? That would be a bit silly, wouldn't it?

And yes, I agree - fading the music for the chorus WOULD improve the atmosphere immediately pre-kick off. Fading it earlier and having EVERYONE sing the whole thing, would improve it even more. IMO.

Quite I think that game has been tainted with the way a certain manager approached the game I personally thought the buzz before that game was superb and the opera singer was brilliant - our humiliation that day was NOTHING to do with the fans or the clackers

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
How hard is it to sing "I wanna be *clap* *clap* glad all over" or YNWA come to that - if people are worried it will give the away fans a giggle then put it on the South screen and not the north then the away fans might not notice. Have you ever listened to how many sing SBTS Ner Ner Ner Ner andweregoinguptowinthecupforsusbytsea

Something needs to happen

2 songs which are longer than GOSBTS for the record. The Der Der is bad, yes, but sticking words on a screen is asking for trouble, stick and almighty piss taking from other fans when it inevitably back-fires as things do for us.

Albion_Dave

Jul 4, 2011
Eastbourne
2 songs which are longer than GOSBTS for the record. The Der Der is bad, yes, but sticking words on a screen is asking for trouble, stick and almighty piss taking from other fans when it inevitably back-fires as things do for us.

Do you really care that much what other fans think of us? If you do then you really need to get a life.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Quite I think that game has been tainted with the way a certain manager approached the game I personally thought the buzz before that game was superb and the opera singer was brilliant - our humiliation that day was NOTHING to do with the fans or the clackers

We'd had clackers several times at Withdean and I don't remember all the whinging about them then. Maybe there was?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Well it could increase sales for a start, FFP and all that. .

You really think people will buy the program to learn the words of a song?

Pearl's Jam's Alive is one of my Favourite songs of all time. I don't know the words.

I had Sussex by the Sea played at my wedding when I walked out the church and at the reception by a band. The song means a lot to me but I don't know the words. My brain simply isn't wired that way. As stated before, stick the words on the screen. We all sing the same version (the pedants will argue what that is) and it will create a better atmosphere. Most football fans aren't MENSA members. It's unrealistic for the majority of the crowd to know more than 1 verse of any song. Christ, most of us can't get past the first verse of God Save the Queen.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Do you really care that much what other fans think of us? If you do then you really need to get a life.

Personally I couldnt care, but Palace bang on about the Clackers a fair bit - this idea is up there with them - IE sh*thouse.

Its my personal opinion on it, there are better ways to go about it, its football - not pub karaoke.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

That opera singer sent a shiver down my spine.

Absolutely Fantastic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here