Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calderwood to Villa

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Many fans will remember the last time an assistant manager was poached. Alan Cork was Adams's right hand man. Was tapped up by a rival in the same league (Cardiff). We didn't lose to them that season, got Bob Booker in and the team went on to win back to back titles.

Let's see how this pans out. Clearly the club and players have had a week to work their heads round this and nothing leaked. So they may be resolute on this

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Trollope has worked with CH before and is out of a job. I'm sure he will be our man.
From wiki:
He was first-team coach at Birmingham City for the 2011–12 season, and then followed manager Chris Hughton to Norwich City until April 2014.

I think you're right. This could happen pretty quickly too.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
I believe CC has had some serious personal issues in his life the past few months, this move maybe driven by those issues so let's not be too quick to judge.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
So before I castigate him consider the following. His absence earlier this season for a couple of games was apparently due to ill health and family reasons.

Consider he had a health scare and his Mrs/Family didn't want him to be so far away from home given the circumstances. Wouldn't you in a similar situation look for gainful employment closer to home?

A loss? Yes. A shock? Yes. Should we be worried? No, there are plenty of able assistants out there and I have full faith in the hierarchy to deliver what CH wants.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
I accept his personal situation may well have had a bearing and good luck to him in that regard, my old age cynical view is simply concerned with the timing and possible implications tomorrow of selling the family silver.

Hopefully I am doing the man a great injustice.

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
This evening I saw a stat on the 90's footballers twitter feed (great way to lose an hour) that in the 196 games Franco baresi and Paolo maldini played together they let in 29 goals. Get them in as a team!

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I like to think I'd have the decency to get the game against said team out of the way like a professional would before jumping ship, at least.

That would never have been possible. If there was intentions for him to move he can't continue to be involved with the Brighton squad in the lead up to this match. There would be a conflict of interest so the club are 100% correct to insist that he isn't involved with the squad this week in preparing for this match.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
That would never have been possible. If there was intentions for him to move he can't continue to be involved with the Brighton squad in the lead up to this match. There would be a conflict of interest so the club are 100% correct to insist that he isn't involved with the squad this week in preparing for this match.

All true. Which makes it a bit odd that the club didn't announce themselves that he was leaving. They've had since Saturday.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
When was the last time the club had a slightly weird poaching of a coaching staff member? I thought Horton to Port Vale was a bit odd. (Did anyone left on here follow the Albion when that happened?)

There was a point when Sammy Lee was going to be the Assistant with the worst managerial record we've ever had. Trollope would outdo that.

Enjoyed the club tweet. "A club statement."

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
This is the thing, we can all be morally outraged if we want but the simple fact is nobody knows the full story.

Yeah, like THAT stops anyone in this place!

Personally I feel uncomfortable at some of the antagonistic posts pointed in his direction. Life's too short to get angry, annoyed or disappointed. Thanks for you help, Colin; good luck in the future. Bye-bye.

Doesn't bother me where or when he's going, it's out of our control and none of our business. Onwards and upwards

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
So what, the monkey's leaving. Give me a shout when the Organ Grinder's off. Typically clueless Chinese investors on one side and a man who wanted to be nearer his family, with more cash, and was prepared to screw over his mate for it, on the other

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
The squad and the club are way bigger than him. It is no biggie to be honest. Hughton will get a quality right hand man in.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
This is the first time I knew anything about this by reading this thread so without knowing anything beforehand perhaps we shouldn't jump to run anyone down on the subject.

As reported by many others on this thread Colin commutes a long distance to the South Coast from Northampton. Perhaps everything is very amicable. Col gets to work closer to home. We get compensated and everyone shakes hands on a deal where all parties are happy.

As for the post where someone suggested that Colin might be the mainstay behind Chris' success. I would point out that Newcastle were comfortably at the top of the Championship before Colin was ever brought in as his assistant for the very first time.

I am guessing at all of the above and have no way of knowing whether I am right or wrong but I would like to think that's what has happened

You're WRONG as Calderwood lives in HOVE and I KNOW exactly where, he lives in Señor Calderon's old flat

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Sure the reason for the terse club statement is that there was probably an agreement to keep this quiet until after the game. Then what do you know it's leaked 24 hours b4 the game. Shit no class mind games!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here