Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calderwood to Villa

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Hes on gardening leave so cant work for Villa currently. Hes left but is having to serve his notice

Terse statement from the club suggests that all is not well and that the parting hasn't exactly been amicable, though obviously one cannot be sure. However, we normally have such things as thanks for all the hard work etc, which is conspicuous by its absence.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
PUBLISHED

20:23 17th November 2016

Brighton & Hove Albion can confirm that assistant manager Colin Calderwood has resigned from the club to take up a new position elsewhere.

He was placed on gardening leave on Saturday 12 November 2016 to serve his notice period.

Well at least he hasn't been part of team preparation this week, although the team choice is fairly obvious.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I thought things were going too smoothly...

Got to feel for CH being shat on by his mate just before the game

This is the first time I knew anything about this by reading this thread so without knowing anything beforehand perhaps we shouldn't jump to run anyone down on the subject.

As reported by many others on this thread Colin commutes a long distance to the South Coast from Northampton. Perhaps everything is very amicable. Col gets to work closer to home. We get compensated and everyone shakes hands on a deal where all parties are happy.

As for the post where someone suggested that Colin might be the mainstay behind Chris' success. I would point out that Newcastle were comfortably at the top of the Championship before Colin was ever brought in as his assistant for the very first time.

I am guessing at all of the above and have no way of knowing whether I am right or wrong but I would like to think that's what has happened

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Looks like the rats are leaving our sinking ship,He obviously doesn't want to be involved in our annual chokeathon .
One day the penny will drop,people CANNOT work with Barber.
This club will NOT make the promised land all the time this self obsessed bean counter is in Blooms ear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Okay mate

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
I've no issue with a member of the team wanting to leave, I'm sure he has good reasons - perhaps he feels there's a better chance of making Manager in less time. But the timing of this stinks. Chris H is so classy compared to 95% of other managers, Bruce is acting like a total bell.

Jedinak blatantly going to be playing as well. "He said he's feeling quite fresh. It turns out that Thailand isn't as bad as playing in Oz, as it's TEN HOURS less travel, I didn't realise this! Anyway, I'm off for another pint of crème de menthe and several lobster bisques. Toodleoo"

Prick

Apr 30, 2013
It's grim oop north
This is the first time I knew anything about this by reading this thread so without knowing anything beforehand perhaps we shouldn't jump to run anyone down on the subject.

As reported by many others on this thread Colin commutes a long distance to the South Coast from Northampton. Perhaps everything is very amicable. Col gets to work closer to home. We get compensated and everyone shakes hands on a deal where all parties are happy.

As for the post where someone suggested that Colin might be the mainstay behind Chris' success. I would point out that Newcastle were comfortably at the top of the Championship before Colin was ever brought in as his assistant for the very first time.

I am guessing at all of the above and have no way of knowing whether I am right or wrong but I would like to think that's what has happened

Really hope its all amicable. The club is on such a high and the timing is awful. CC has always seemed a very decent guy and hopefully this is something all parties are happy with and hes closer to family commitments.

Hope we rip them a new one tommorrow now!!!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales

Yeah and playing Villa this week was just a coincidence :lolol:

Well no need for a team talk tomorrow.

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
Think everyone needs to calm down a bit. Chris has proven he is a good manager in this division before Calderwood joined him at respective clubs. People worried about Calderwood being the 'brains' should look at his managerial record at Notts Forest in this division, it's pretty woeful. Obviously not ideal but it's nowhere near the same as losing a good player imo.

Col, as far as I'm concerned, is a steaming pile of shit.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So the team he's going to, it's announced before that game.

Whoever controls work and wages, controls morals - Susan B. Anthony
Villa have no class.

Hardly stop press news is it?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Think everyone needs to calm down a bit. Chris has proven he is a good manager in this division before Calderwood joined him at respective clubs. People worried about Calderwood being the 'brains' should look at his managerial record at Notts Forest in this division, it's pretty woeful. Obviously not ideal but it's nowhere near the same as losing a good player imo.
I don't think it's worry as such, but you've got to admit that the timing stinks. I think that's the main concern rather than losing an assistant.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Terse statement from the club suggests that all is not well and that the parting hasn't exactly been amicable, though obviously one cannot be sure. However, we normally have such things as thanks for all the hard work etc, which is conspicuous by its absence.

I am not disagreeing with this, the club are probably miffed as it is not needed just when things are going so well.
But the players, manager and coaching staff are pros and know that this situation can crop up at any time and is fairly commonplace in football today.
They will just get on with it and if anything will just spur them on to perform tomorrow, its what they are paid well to do, often when a manager leaves, never mind a coach, the team goes on to win the next few games and the replacement does well (for a few games at least)
This is just a blip and its up to the club to get the right man in ASAP

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here