Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bridcutt sold £3.25million. (with Sunderland kit picture)

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Has this got anything to do with TB? I thought players and player budgets were the responsibility of the Director of Football Operations and they only inform the chairman as a matter of courtesy.

TB is not hands on every day like DK was he has employed experienced professionals in the important roles and trusts in them to do the job they are paid to do, reporting back to the board and then justifying what they have done if they require them to do so.

i think TB would be very much ITK about this particular transaction..........gotta be 3.5 million minimum surely

shirley...???

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove
There were rumours on tuesday at Burnley that we had turned down £6M for Bridders and Buckley. £4M seems likely, very good business and good luck Liam.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Timco, why do you think this? Do you have inside knowledge of what goes on?

Not saying you're wrong but I have no idea exactly how transfer negotiations are conducted and how much input TB has.

If I were in his shoes I'd want to be kept informed at every stage, even I wasn't the one talking to agents etc. Surely, spending millions on players, or receiving millions for selling them, is somewhat above 'every day' stuff.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I feel sorry for [MENTION=20845]Bridcutt[/MENTION]. If I remember rightly, he's already had to change his username once, after Noone left, so the next choice of name will be a big one.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide

Not saying you're wrong but I have no idea exactly how transfer negotiations are conducted and how much input TB has.

If I were in his shoes I'd want to be kept informed at every stage, even I wasn't the one talking to agents etc. Surely, spending millions on players, or receiving millions for selling them, is somewhat above 'every day' stuff.

The Albion roar interview with David Burke made it very clear that TB is consulted on all transfer dealings I thought

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Fulham, WBA, Cardiff and Swansea were all sniffing around the 2.5m-3m mark this week...not firm bids, just testing Sunderland's resolve. ( Reliable source )
Looks like LB's mind was made up ( for him ) some time ago.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

I don't know about TB but in business generally you would have agreed a complete gameplan for the negotiations prior to them starting, including minimum acceptable levels, flexibilty on what areas, percentages agreeable etc etc. You then leave the team to negotiate within the agreed criteria.

I would be stunned if TB were involved in the negotiations at all unless it was pre-ageed as part of the gameplan.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
nojWx.gif
Ah , brings memories of the days when Seagulls Player didn't work :lolol:

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham

It comes from the interview done with David Burke, he was directly asked about transfers and is answer was very much that the players we sign or sell are down to the manager (and team) to identify and for him to negotiate within the budget to sign/sell players.

The rest comes from my knowledge of being a chairman, they do not make day to day decisions their role is a strategic one and there would be no point employing highly paid professionals to do a role unless you are going to trust them to get on with it within the strategic framework set-out for them. It also comes from the interview where DB said they would, as a matter of courtesy, keep the chairman informed of decisions but not to get their approval or for them to be directly involved in the nitty gritty of contact negotiations.

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
The Albion roar interview with David Burke made it very clear that TB is consulted on all transfer dealings I thought

I got exactly the opposite impression, he was saying that he is given a budget by the board and he operates that budget and makes decisions based upon that budget. The coaching team identify who they want and he does the deal, only keeping TB informed of what is going on.

This is the way I would expect a big business to run, you employ a professional to do a job set down clear guidelines on how that is done and let them get on with it.

Only where there is a need to go outside those guidelines would I expect the boards representative (TB) to get involved, EG: the transfer fee is outside the budget constraints.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I got exactly the opposite impression, he was saying that he is given a budget by the board and he operates that budget and makes decisions based upon that budget. The coaching team identify who they want and he does the deal, only keeping TB informed of what is going on.

This is the way I would expect a big business to run, you employ a professional to do a job set down clear guidelines on how that is done and let them get on with it.

Only where there is a need to go outside those guidelines would I expect the boards representative (TB) to get involved, EG: the transfer fee is outside the budget constraints.

I am not a high flyer like TB but like us, he is a fan. How many of you would let somebody else sign players without you at least being told who the club were about to buy. There is NO WAY I wouldn't want an input. What if Burke decides to buy Wilbrahim because he fits into the budget. I'd go completely mental if he was signed and I was funding it and hadn't been consulted :lolol:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I am not a high flyer like TB but like us, he is a fan. How many of you would let somebody else sign players without you at least being told who the club were about to buy. There is NO WAY I wouldn't want an input. What if Burke decides to buy Wilbrahim because he fits into the budget. I'd go completely mental if he was signed and I was funding it and hadn't been consulted :lolol:

I agree with you Icy. It must be incredibly hard for him as a fan not to pick the phone up and ask what's happening. As timco says though, he's put in place well paid professionals to execute the strategy. He'll want to leave them to get on with it. As chairman, he'll only pick the phone up if things are going disastrously wrong. At the moment, we're in the mix for play offs (a tough ask); we've got a decent squad that one assumes the manager is happy with; attendances are holding up; training ground is on target - there's really no need to get involved on a day to day basis. Still, his phone finger must be itching.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Good luck to him, thank goodness this is resolved and we can all move on

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here