Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace make £23 million profit from first season in PL

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Speak for yourself. I think a lot of us thought there would have been a good chance of Watford beating us had we have got to the final, I don't think we were arrogant at all.

I agree. Watford had trounced us earlier in the season and we couldn't get near them. I had said IF we got to Wembley, I was just going to enjoy the day out, as I didn't think we could beat them.
Luckilyt for Palace, Watford just didn't turn up.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Decent set of figures from what has come out so far, Well done CPFC2010.

I wouldn't expect the same sort of profits going forward though as we try and establish ourselves in the top flight, The wage bill will go up 20-30% at least. Although if we are hang around for another couple of seasons we will start to be enriched by the even bigger deal in 2016/17.

Good times :)

This is the crux of the problem in football. Why is there this tacit acceptance that wages have to keep going up? Are these players actually achieving more? My evidence is that the PL is declining in quality not improving. The very best players don't play here and we cram our football with moderate and overpaid foreigners, who are no better than some of our home grown talent. Our national side suffers as a result and youngsters watching the game now are reared on a diet of cheating and gamesmanship. The game now offers less value for money than ever before.
The players and agents are holding the game to ransom because no-one wants to make the first move and stand up to them. The clubs are ignoring the bigger picture and are terrified of losing ground to their competitors We now have this mind boggling situation, where a very young player, still learning, refuses to commit himself to the most successful club in our history. Offered a massive pay-rise and the potential to earn well in excess of £5m a year, he is stalling and seeing what other offers are on the table and claims that all he wants to do is win trophies. Surely, the biggest challenge to him would be to try and help his present club return to their past glories of regular success.
Palace may have done well in your eyes turning in healthy profits. In my eyes, clubs should be making a lot more profit. The staggering amount pouring into the game from TV rights, should be ensuring the whole future of the footballing pyramid, down to grass roots, for years to come.
Instead, we are allowing a hugely disproportionate and undeserved amount of money to go straight into players and agents pockets and clubs are continuing to struggle. Most of them aren't worth it. They are paid fortunes for inactivity.
Good times for those feasting at the top table. Much leaner times for everyone else. The biggest are getting stronger and the divide keeps growing. Eventually, it will become a chasm.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I think a lot of us thought there would have been a good chance of Watford beating us had we have got to the final, I don't think we were arrogant at all.

Did you WATCH that final? Watford never turned up, same as we never turned up for the semi-final second leg. Palace were given a BYE into the Premier League. Sake!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He didn't spend on seats instead of promotion, he was limited in how much he could spend on the team because of FFP

Are you rewriting history? I don't think FFP applied at that time?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Did you WATCH that final? Watford never turned up, same as we never turned up for the semi-final second leg. Palace were given a BYE into the Premier League. Sake!

You can guarantee, had we beaten Palace like we did a few weeks before, that Watford would have turned up. Sure as eggs is eggs.

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
This is the crux of the problem in football. Why is there this tacit acceptance that wages have to keep going up? Are these players actually achieving more? My evidence is that the PL is declining in quality not improving. The very best players don't play here and we cram our football with moderate and overpaid foreigners, who are no better than some of our home grown talent. Our national side suffers as a result and youngsters watching the game now are reared on a diet of cheating and gamesmanship. The game now offers less value for money than ever before.
The players and agents are holding the game to ransom because no-one wants to make the first move and stand up to them. The clubs are ignoring the bigger picture and are terrified of losing ground to their competitors We now have this mind boggling situation, where a very young player, still learning, refuses to commit himself to the most successful club in our history. Offered a massive pay-rise and the potential to earn well in excess of £5m a year, he is stalling and seeing what other offers are on the table and claims that all he wants to do is win trophies. Surely, the biggest challenge to him would be to try and help his present club return to their past glories of regular success.
Palace may have done well in your eyes turning in healthy profits. In my eyes, clubs should be making a lot more profit. The staggering amount pouring into the game from TV rights, should be ensuring the whole future of the footballing pyramid, down to grass roots, for years to come.
Instead, we are allowing a hugely disproportionate and undeserved amount of money to go straight into players and agents pockets and clubs are continuing to struggle. Most of them aren't worth it. They are paid fortunes for inactivity.
Good times for those feasting at the top table. Much leaner times for everyone else. The biggest are getting stronger and the divide keeps growing. Eventually, it will become a chasm.

Ain't that the truth!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Did you WATCH that final? Watford never turned up
No I didn't. But it's not relevant that they didn't turn up, because the accusation is that we were arrogant and thought we were about to be promoted, and I'm saying we didn't think that. How Watford performed later, doesn't make a difference.

Are you rewriting history? I don't think FFP applied at that time?
Oh, I guess I may be then. Perhaps we could have spent more on a loan or two, as any full signings would have an impact on the following seasons. But maybe Tony thought we were doing well as it was. We were the form team and came 4th, and spending more would not have guaranteed gaining promotion anyway.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
No I didn't. But it's not relevant that they didn't turn up, because the accusation is that we were arrogant and thought we were about to be promoted, and I'm saying we didn't think that. How Watford performed later, doesn't make a difference.

Oh, I guess I may be then. Perhaps we could have spent more on a loan or two, as any full signings would have an impact on the following seasons. But maybe Tony thought we were doing well as it was. We were the form team and came 4th, and spending more would not have guaranteed gaining promotion anyway.

A fair amount was spent on the team that year anyway. Over the course of the season, we brought in: Orlandi, Spanish Dave, Ulloa, Jobbie, Bridge, Kuszczak, Bruno, Upson, Crofts and Hammond. Not to mention extending Vicente's deal for another year and attempting to buy Van Dijk for a couple of million.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Sorry, makes ALL the difference. If we'd played our normal game in that second leg v Palace, we'd have have comfortably turned them over, same as we did three weeks earlier, and gone on to possibly face the same set of ineffectual Watford pussies that Palace faced.

All water under the bridge tho eh? That was our big chance, It'll come around again sometime. Pretty disgusting that the likes of Bournenouth FFS can make the jump into the £23 million parachute zone so easily. Maybe nature's way of telling the Albion board to stop f*cking around with FFP and invest properly in the playing side. Because in the end that's the only way any of them will get their investment back. Unlike us fans who will turn up and watch any old shit.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012

It's amazing the number of teams that don't turn up against us Chelsea , Liverpool , Everton , Spurs , Stoke to name a few ..... Oh and you lot as always .

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It's amazing the number of teams that don't turn up against us Chelsea , Liverpool , Everton , Spurs , Stoke to name a few ..... Oh and you lot as always .

Well, apart from the Saint Patrick's Day Massacre that play-off season. We had high hopes after that. You lot - and your manager - patented wanted to win through the play-offs MORE though, and fair play for that.:clap2:

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
if we are hang around for another couple of seasons we will start to be enriched by the even bigger deal in 2016/17.

Good times :)

I'm sure Torquay, Wrexham, Bury and Rochdale fans, to name just four, would agree wholeheartedly with your 'Good Times' sentiments. Idiot.

matbha

Apr 13, 2014
Remind me Bwian. Owing a rich gambler £130m is 'being built from the ground up' and organic is it? Yes you had a couple of scumbag business men. Just like we had a truly inept one and one who got in hock with a professional loanshark. Looking past the rivalry for a second I have a lot of respect for the fans of Brighton just like you should for the fans of Palace who marched on RBS and who gathered together the cash to make sure that St John's were paid (though I notice how you lot always forget to mention that part). Your club aren't whiter than white and we sure as hell aren't.
LOL 100 fans that marched ,in time of need you had 100 give or take

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Yup, the constant references to administration sound a bit desperate when

(a) there have been 59 instances of clubs going into admin in the past, and
(b) the Albion had an informal agreement with their creditors in which they did not pay all that was owed to them. The only reason why an administrator wasn't appointed was because there were no assets to sell. We're not whiter than white.

I have seen you state this before in past threads and I have tried to find reference to this in my books on the clubs history and I have never been able to find anything about such agreements. I would love to read up on this part of our history and who conducted the deals with the creditors, so I would appreciate you or any other fans that could point me into where this was recorded. I could then read more about the two winding up orders in October 1992 and June 1993.
And when you said we had no assets to sell, surely we still owned the Goldstone during those winding up orders, as the Ground was sold around 1995 I believe?

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Sorry, makes ALL the difference. If we'd played our normal game in that second leg v Palace, we'd have have comfortably turned them over
No it doesn't, it makes no difference at all. You're saying what you think would have happened in the final, and you are partly basing your view on how Watford played in the final, but that's not what we're talking about. We're talking about what Brighton fans thought prior to the second leg of the semi, and obviously what happened in the final does not effect what Brighton fans thought would happen prior to the semi final.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here