Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Argh got a stomach bug (I hope [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] has been washing his hands before adding to this thread). Hopefully recover in time for Hastings but looks like an enforced taper for the rest of the week.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Argh got a stomach bug (I hope [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] has been washing his hands before adding to this thread). Hopefully recover in time for Hastings but looks like an enforced taper for the rest of the week.

The Curse of Hastings!
That's three of us including @St Leonard's Seagull. Only [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] healthy.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
A friend of mine has just withdrawn from the Brighton Marathon so he will sell on his place (he doesn't expect the full amount back) to anyone who wants it.

On a related subject who used an Amex Card to pay for their entry? Just received an email which confirms access to their tent prior to the race. I made use of it last year and it was quite handy, would be a good hub for the NSC runners.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
A friend of mine has just withdrawn from the Brighton Marathon so he will sell on his place (he doesn't expect the full amount back) to anyone who wants it.

On a related subject who used an Amex Card to pay for their entry? Just received an email which confirms access to their tent prior to the race. I made use of it last year and it was quite handy, would be a good hub for the NSC runners.

....trying hard not to think what you made use of it for! No Amex card for me, I'll be with the plebs.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Two flat out miles this morning with five minutes jogging in between and 20 min warm up and cool down either side. Fastest one was 7.03 which was my fastest ever but also annoying to be that close to sub 7. It confirmed I'm of that odd breed who enjoys slow-ish 14 mile runs but hates the fast stuff.

For anyone interested there is now a sticky at the top of the board with the REMF sponsorship details for Brighton for [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] and myself. Last time I plug it on here I promise! :)

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
10 miles and a 5.30 start for me this morning, might be one of my last early starts just as the weather is making early morning runs enjoyable.

@Guinessboy like you, when my Garmin starts with a 6 in the pace column I hope maybe this time I can hold on to that pace for a mile but come the end I'm back up to 7 something.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
Recorded another PB on Saturday on the Hove Promenade Park Run, in sight of under 25 minutes which is something I never thought I'd get near. The main change has been eating an hour before running (previously I didn't eat till after). I hit the sweet spot from the off so I don't think I've got much more in the tank.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Recorded another PB on Saturday on the Hove Promenade Park Run, in sight of under 25 minutes which is something I never thought I'd get near. The main change has been eating an hour before running (previously I didn't eat till after). I hit the sweet spot from the off so I don't think I've got much more in the tank.

Congrats. Work on an 8+ week training plan from Runnersworld and you'll smash 25. Be ready for a summer NSC challenge and you should PB through adrenaline and training.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Longest run in 8 years or so last night, bit over 10 miles with 775 feet of climbing. Thought that was a solid run and I was quite proud of it, only to check Strava and saw some incredible nutcase did a marathon at the weekend with 3,275 ft of climbing!! Christ. Put me back in my box!

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
cheers Knocky,

I only picked up the Park Run as an addition to my general fitness regime, so I'm far from a devoted runner. It's just nice being able to carve into my times as I thought these were rather set in stone!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Two flat out miles this morning with five minutes jogging in between and 20 min warm up and cool down either side. Fastest one was 7.03 which was my fastest ever but also annoying to be that close to sub 7. It confirmed I'm of that odd breed who enjoys slow-ish 14 mile runs but hates the fast stuff.

For anyone interested there is now a sticky at the top of the board with the REMF sponsorship details for Brighton for [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] and myself. Last time I plug it on here I promise! :)

I love a long run, but always have a funny feeling when I know I'm about to go and do fast runs (apart from parkrun). The thing is, they have to be done, in my book, to get the right variety in training. Man, 7.03 is really good going - you've come a long way (baby) :)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Hmmm. This is what wakes me in the night. Your distance strength. I'm more Epsom Derby to your Cheltenham Gold Cup. The fast stuff I love and the slowish stuff I like. I even love marathon pace but only up to 20 miles. Good to see your training plan working well, it's worrying me!
Off to see Jesus this morning for some preemptive work on the ITB expecting some pain but should get it relaxed for Hastings.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Nailing the negative splits; really chuffed with them. However, I was more knackered at the end (and it was a couple of minutes slower) doing this compared with other recent 10ks I've knocked out in training.

1 8:32.5
2 8:18.8
3 8:07.3
4 7:55.4
5 7:40.1
6 7:22.0
7 1:21.5

49:18

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1085728309

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Nailing the negative splits; really chuffed with them. However, I was more knackered at the end (and it was a couple of minutes slower) doing this compared with other recent 10ks I've knocked out in training.

1 8:32.5
2 8:18.8
3 8:07.3
4 7:55.4
5 7:40.1
6 7:22.0
7 1:21.5

49:18

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1085728309

Very impressive. How do you manage to track those as you run, is your watch accurate enough with pace that you just keep an eye on it all the time?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Hmmm. This is what wakes me in the night. Your distance strength. I'm more Epsom Derby to your Cheltenham Gold Cup. The fast stuff I love and the slowish stuff I like. I even love marathon pace but only up to 20 miles. Good to see your training plan working well, it's worrying me!
Off to see Jesus this morning for some preemptive work on the ITB expecting some pain but should get it relaxed for Hastings.

Good luck, hope He heals!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Good wheels ! With you on the slow v fast. Give me 5 hours on the trails vs a parkrun any day.

Hotel crosstrainer for me this week hoping the calf niggle is just that......effing annoying........

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Very impressive. How do you manage to track those as you run, is your watch accurate enough with pace that you just keep an eye on it all the time?

It seems to be pretty accurate, so I just glance at it a few times during each mile just to make sure I'm at the right sort of pace. A couple of times this morning I found myself easing up towards the end of the mile, just so that I didn't screw myself for the next mile. Today was about the closest I've got to achieving what I set out to do. Previously I'd gone down to about 7:45 by mile 3, and then there is only so far I can go to carry on upping the pace.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'm about to plummet down the table. Went out after lecturing yesterday and after 1.5 miles there was a nasty grinding sensation at the top of my hip, immediately came to a halt.

8 hour flight home tonight is not going to improve my posture, so fingers crossed it is something inconsequential.

Thanks I have just had a great painfull massage that has got my right, lower back, hip and knee moving. Mentioned your grinding, may be the precursor of bursitis Jesus says. If no improvement get those muscles loosened by an expert.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here