Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Almost sounds like a thumb up was needed.........in all seriousness though, nothing worse than setting out knowing there is one in the chamber.

Disaster for me. Calf went ping about 30 mins into my easy hour's run. Crocks bench for me and no Moyleman tomorrow [emoji20]

Swift recovery with that I hope and not the soleus

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Things going from bad to worse. Garmin Connect has lost its Classic set up which means I can't download runs at the moment, my Mac is too ancient to do the downloads. I've been holding of buying a new Mac so now ill be taking the plunge next week, fortunately it coincides with bonus pay day.

Banker's Bonus! You'll be buying a few houses, cars as well as a Mac no doubt........

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Almost sounds like a thumb up was needed.........in all seriousness though, nothing worse than setting out knowing there is one in the chamber.

Disaster for me. Calf went ping about 30 mins into my easy hour's run. Crocks bench for me and no Moyleman tomorrow [emoji20]

Get well soon and bad luck. A timely reminder to me to roll and stretch mine tonight, they're tighter than a Yorkshireman's wallet.

Aiming for 16 miles tomorrow at around 9 min miles. Ovingdean is the only bit of the marathon course I don't know so it'll be out to there with some probable small titting around down a bit of Basin Rd South to get the extra distance. Not quite a full dress rehearsal but probably a 3-geller.

Talking of which, if you want to get used to High5s before Brighton, Lidl are currently doing a massive High5 Marathon nutrition race pack for £7.99.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
My first time on the High5 gels tomorrow, going to give one of their pre race energy drinks a go as well :thumbsup: only 14 miles for me tomorrow with my last long 20 miles next Sunday before taper.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
No parkrun today. Heading onto the Downs in the morning, for a change.

Oh, and [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION], I saw you at 5 a side on Thursday. Mind those legs!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Bognor Parkrun for me yesterday: 21:14 but this was after bike ride from Worthing. As this was my best time for a while at Bognor I'm wondering if a 15 mile bike ride in dense fog is now the ideal warm-up.
Sorry to hear of dazzer's calf problem.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Disappointing coldy week before the planned mini taper for Hastings has led to a rescheduling of the training. Will write off this week and hope to do high mileage tomorrow and Tuesday.
Good to see Guiness Boy and EP slogging it out at the top of the Strava League this morning.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Disappointing coldy week before the planned mini taper for Hastings has led to a rescheduling of the training. Will write off this week and hope to do high mileage tomorrow and Tuesday.
Good to see Guiness Boy and EP slogging it out at the top of the Strava League this morning.

I'm about to plummet down the table. Went out after lecturing yesterday and after 1.5 miles there was a nasty grinding sensation at the top of my hip, immediately came to a halt.

8 hour flight home tonight is not going to improve my posture, so fingers crossed it is something inconsequential.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Did the 16 miler to Ovingdean and back, adding a hill off the main drag to make up part of the mileage shortfall. Of note were the wasted clubber on Brighton seafront who desperately asked me if I had a light (I was running 9"00 miles and chugging a gel at the time in full race gear), and the guy in the half marathon finishers t-shirt who I kept passing as his turn round point was shorter than mine at both ends. He must have been getting REALLY peed off with me :lolol:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'm about to plummet down the table. Went out after lecturing yesterday and after 1.5 miles there was a nasty grinding sensation at the top of my hip, immediately came to a halt.

8 hour flight home tonight is not going to improve my posture, so fingers crossed it is something inconsequential.

Possibly an inflamed illiotibial band tendon (ITB injury). Sports injury massage could get that if it persists. Mine is playing up from knee, through hip and into lower back. Think I'll book an appointment.

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012

I know how you feel I had 20 miles planned for this morning, I've woken up feeling awful. So I have decided to scrap that and hope to reschedule for tomorrow.
I was hoping to mini taper for Hastings next too, do you think 20 miles would be too much on Monday if I go easy for the rest of the week?
I feel guilty as I only did 9 miles last week due to work.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I know how you feel I had 20 miles planned for this morning, I've woken up feeling awful. So I have decided to scrap that and hope to reschedule for tomorrow.
I was hoping to mini taper for Hastings next too, do you think 20 miles would be too much on Monday if I go easy for the rest of the week?
I feel guilty as I only did 9 miles last week due to work.

If you are doing the Brighton Marathon you have to decide which is you priority. I am 60/40 Brighton/Hastings, so will hope to do 20m tomorrow or Tuesday. After that I'll take it easier. Aiming at sub 1:45 after last years 1:45:33 when I respected the uphills too much. Have booked to see Jesus on the ITB Tuesday morning.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I have just additionally noticed that the Strava segment for Duke's Mound is called "The Ramp at Black Rock".

Well no one wants a personal best at Dukes Mound on their record I suppose.

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012
If you are doing the Brighton Marathon you have to decide which is you priority. I am 60/40 Brighton/Hastings, so will hope to do 20m tomorrow or Tuesday. After that I'll take it easier. Aiming at sub 1:45 after last years 1:45:33 when I respected the uphills too much. Have booked to see Jesus on the ITB Tuesday morning.

Ok thanks, Brighton is definitely my priority, as I've never done a marathon before so I want to make sure I'm well prepared for that.
My problem is that lots of people I know are running Hastings and the closer it gets the more serious I feel about it.
I think I've got carried away thinking about it, with it being my local half wanting to get a PB as its the first time I've run it seriously since starting running.
I'm just being a greedy runner I suppose wanting it all without thinking of the repercussions.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I'm really pleased to say I completed the Surrey Half today in 1:30:06. A 7:22 for mile 13 meant I just missed my target - but given the achillies problem I had a few weeks back, and having knocked over 2 minutes off of my pb, I am not at all disappointed.

:)

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Lovely conditions today went out after two decent off loads and done 10.5 miles in 1:10:20 @ 6:42 pace so pleased with that especially as the last 2.5 was at 6:20 pace.

Hill session Tuesday. 5 aside Thursday I didn't see you [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] then a 130 minute run Monday after work (finishing @ 3pm).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here