Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bridcutt Close to Signing for Sunderland? (Sky Sports News)

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
It was a strange bid from Sunderland. Bridcutt for £2.5 million sounds like a reasonable starting bid, but Buckley at £1.75 million was miles underpriced. I think Buckley is their real target!

I think Lee Catermole is better than Bridcutt in the same position. Not much to choose between them.

Buying a talented player off-form gets a player cheap and that is the best policy if you are budget conscious. Getting rid of Buckley at any price would be suicide.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Sorry but l can't agree. With very few exceptions, defensive midfielders don't fetch fantastic amounts of money. As good as Liam is at his job, he doesn't norm ally venture very far from his position in front of the back four, isn't a box to box type player, or weigh in with his share of goals.

If Sunderland, or any other club were to offer, say £2.5m for him, l'd do business. Especially bearing in mind we already have Keith Andrews and Rohan Ince on the staff who can do a similar job, (perhaps not quite as well, but at least adequately).

That £2.5m could then be spent on bringing Craig Conway back to the club permanently, and maybe attract another proven target man to sign for us, especially bearing in mind the continuing absence of CMS, and the possibility that Ashley Barnes will jump ship before the window closes.

I have to say I'm glad you're not handling negotiations. £4M is about right IMHO.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
i wasn't suggesting we would be rushed or steamrollered, my point was its a fine line between maximising the fee without scuppering the deal and ending up with a worthless "asset".

I'm confident TB knows when to hold and when to fold! ;-)

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Sorry but l can't agree. With very few exceptions, defensive midfielders don't fetch fantastic amounts of money. As good as Liam is at his job, he doesn't norm ally venture very far from his position in front of the back four, isn't a box to box type player, or weigh in with his share of goals.

If Sunderland, or any other club were to offer, say £2.5m for him, l'd do business. Especially bearing in mind we already have Keith Andrews and Rohan Ince on the staff who can do a similar job, (perhaps not quite as well, but at least adequately).

That £2.5m could then be spent on bringing Craig Conway back to the club permanently, and maybe attract another proven target man to sign for us, especially bearing in mind the continuing absence of CMS, and the possibility that Ashley Barnes will jump ship before the window closes.

I agree as defensive midfielders tend to be eye catching and look better than they really are. I thought Conway was very ordinary and unnecessary as a permanent signing.

I think we will stick to our wages policy and I do not expect any signings, except a replacement if Bridcutt and Barnes do go. I think Sunderland need a right back.

There aren't any target men around except Becchio and he will not move south so he is out of the agenda.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
It was a strange bid from Sunderland. Bridcutt for £2.5 million sounds like a reasonable starting bid, but Buckley at £1.75 million was miles underpriced. I think Buckley is their real target!

I think Lee Catermole is better than Bridcutt in the same position. Not much to choose between them.

Buying a talented player off-form gets a player cheap and that is the best policy if you are budget conscious. Getting rid of Buckley at any price would be suicide.

This is really interesting. I would say that £1.75M was a good price for us to receive for WB!

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing

Really? It is funny how we (the fans) see the same things so differently. For me I would say the Bridcutt bid is the seriously under-value one. I don't think we should sell for a penny under £4m and to Gus that should be £4.5m!

£1.75mill for Buckley who really is a massive disappointment most of the time should be snapped up and put towards Conway and another. After all we have KLL and March as well so with Conway Buckley would be an expensive luxury.

He hasn't done anything this season and his form last term was erratic at best when he's not injured that is (which seems to be most of the time!)

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I'm confident TB knows when to hold and when to fold! ;-)

That Buckley bid was a really underplayed hand. Worried he may be prised away. Not concerned about Bridcutt (I am not a Sunderland fan).

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Really? It is funny how we (the fans) see the same things so differently. For me I would say the Bridcutt bid is the seriously under-value one. I don't think we should sell for a penny under £4m and to Gus that should be £4.5m!

£1.75mill for Buckley who really is a massive disappointment most of the time should be snapped up and put towards Conway and another. After all we have KLL and March as well so with Conway Buckley would be an expensive luxury.

He hasn't done anything this season and his form last term was erratic at best when he's not injured that is (which seems to be most of the time!)

I would be very annoyed if we get rid of Will Buckley. He is simply the best winger I have seen at the Albion in 50 years. He is good even if playing badly.

We would be robbed at any price.

In the transfer market I would look for players with pace and skill, young and going through a bad patch. Will Buckley is a prime candidate. Fortunately he is in contract for a few years.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
However you also run the risk of losing the deal completely. Imagine the club plays hardball, Sunderland then find another target and sign him, Bridcutt gets p*ssed off we didn't let him move to the premier league
It should be easy to explain to a player. Tell him something like: while we think you're brilliant (nice bit of flattery to start with), we wouldn't stop you from leaving, but the offer was insulting towards you. Gus has said you're good enough to play at the top, and we agree, but the Sunderland board don't seem to agree, and only offered a few million for you. You will be playing in the premier league soon, for a club that values you as much as we do.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
It should be easy to explain to a player. Tell him something like: while we think you're brilliant (nice bit of flattery to start with), we wouldn't stop you from leaving, but the offer was insulting towards you. Gus has said you're good enough to play at the top, and we agree, but the Sunderland board don't seem to agree, and only offered a few million for you. You will be playing in the premier league soon, for a club that values you as much as we do.

The diplomatic service has vacancies!

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
I would be very annoyed if we get rid of Will Buckley. He is simply the best winger I have seen at the Albion in 50 years. He is good even if playing badly.

We would be robbed at any price.

In the transfer market I would look for players with pace and skill, young and going through a bad patch. Will Buckley is a prime candidate. Fortunately he is in contract for a few years.

I agree he is VERY, VERY good when fit and on form... sadly these two scenarios very rarely align.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Here is a scenario:

Bridcutt probably gets a phone call from Gus, Oatway and his agent on a daily basis saying what fun they are having, and Bridcutt, without wanting to offend them, is going yeah yeah yeah it will be great to join you.

Behind the scenes Bridcutt has already told Bloom to please put him out of their price range as I don't want to play for Gus again. Bloom has said ok I will put your selling price at £4m, but if they do put in a bid for that amount you will have to go.

When Ulloa came here Gus probably told him he would build the team around him, but a month later Gus wanted out.

What assurances will Gus give Bridcutt about his own future?

What I would say is that if Bridcutt goes it will be even more fascinating to see how he fits in because there will be very high expectations of him from the fans, Short, Di Fanti and the rest of the Sunderland squad as he would be a "Gus signing". There would be nowhere for him or Gus to hide and he has to live up to that Golden Child reputation Gus has put on him. Both their futures will be put under extremely close scrutiny.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I'm already resigned to him going, now it's just a question of how much we can get. 4 Mill would be fair.

If we get anywhere close to £4 Million it will be fantastic business for us.

He clearly wants to join Poyet so let's get the best price possible for a player that doesn't want to be here (judging by his last couple of appearances). Ducked out of tackles and was way below the standard we've seen over the last couple of years. I personally don't think he'll do anything great in the Premier League-some of his wayward passes will bite him and his new club on the backside against most PL sides. He gets away with stray passes in this league but has nearly cost us a couple of times already since he's been back-Bournemouth for instance. I'm not saying this because it looks like he's off, he often gives the ball away in dangerous places. His tenacity and ability to out-jump even tall opponents countered his weakness. He has had a couple of very good seasons for us-there has to be a reason that other PL clubs haven't enticed him away.

Liam has been good for us but if his heart's no longer in it, time to say goodbye and Ker-Ching!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The diplomatic service has vacancies!
Struggling to tell if that's sarcasm or not :)

On a separate note, why am I seeing loads of threads saying that other clubs want to buy our players, but no threads about all the players we're trying to buy? Come on, my excitement levels are faltering.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Really? Granted Brighton is nice but some of the northeast coast is fantastic. I can't beleive you wouldn't move out of Sussex for 100k a week!

£10k a week is a ridiculous sum of money, no-one needs that much and I LOVE living in Brighton (where I'm soon to move out of because I can't afford to live here, despite working here).

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Here is a scenario:

Bridcutt probably gets a phone call from Gus, Oatway and his agent on a daily basis saying what fun they are having, and Bridcutt, without wanting to offend them, is going yeah yeah yeah it will be great to join you.

Behind the scenes Bridcutt has already told Bloom to please put him out of their price range as I don't want to play for Gus again. Bloom has said ok I will put your selling price at £4m, but if they do put in a bid for that amount you will have to go.

:lolol:

That certainly is a scenario.

Not an accurate one but a scenario none the less

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here