Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bridcutt Close to Signing for Sunderland? (Sky Sports News)

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
The rain hammered down incessantly on Bridcutt's tin roof. He gazed up and listened with interest at how a couple of deep thuds of rain had turned quickly into a crackling chorus of echoy splashes. After a few moments and almost as quickly as it had come, the rain ceased. Leaving in it's wake the fresh smell of due and electric humidity. The green clearing in the centre of the woodland buzzed with life. The rain clouds above had disappeared and left in their wake an infinite white sky. Bridcutt rubbed his eyes and took a deep lungful of air. Moving his bones, now stiff from fatigue, outside of the shelter, he smiled. All around him he heard the echos of what had just passed. The squelch of his boots in mud, the drips of water falling from treetop, to leaf, to floor. Despite the stillness that surrounded him, life in the East Sussex was restless.

Haunted by the memories of last summer, Bridcutt walked across the downland, the spaciously aligned trees allowing any route to be taken and yet not conceding a clear path. He chose a direction and walked. At that moment of decision his mobile phone sprang to life. It's buzz and hum, normally quiet, seemed to echo all around. The called ID: GUS.

Bridcutt cancelled the call immediately. Last summer had been a difficult year for Liam, and his relationship with Gus was strained. When his employer parted company with the Uruguayan, relief had swept through Bridcutt like a wave. The hazy days of summer with Gus had past, tainted with the sting of less than favourable memories.

After hours of walking Liam had found sanctuary. He stepped off the uneven path and onto the firm pavement of Brighton's bustling town centre. The move away from instability reminded Liam of his arrival at Brighton. He had been a trialist at several clubs, never quite making the grade until Brighton took the chance. He felt safe in Brighton, he felt steady. However after what had been hours of walking, Liam became tired. Even the sun struggled to stay awake. Pink and amber flares slowly giving way to the yellow hazy buzz of the streetlights.

A deep magenta haze shone through the window, catching Bridcutts features in it's crossfire. The light danced round him like heat off baking sands. He checked his phone again. Thirteen missed calls. All from his agent. Liam slammed his phone onto the ground, breaking it instantly. A slow evening had ended abrutly.

He loved Brighton, and the snakey antics of his 'people' and former employer were of no concern to the young midfielder. He was in Brighton now, and he had a job to do.

-----------------------------

That's my alternative scenario. Yours is more far fetched though.

Don't want to worry you, but that sounds like Stuart Hall in his prime

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
The rain hammered down incessantly on Bridcutt's tin roof. He gazed up and listened with interest at how a couple of deep thuds of rain had turned quickly into a crackling chorus of echoy splashes. After a few moments and almost as quickly as it had come, the rain ceased. Leaving in it's wake the fresh smell of due and electric humidity. The green clearing in the centre of the woodland buzzed with life. The rain clouds above had disappeared and left in their wake an infinite white sky. Bridcutt rubbed his eyes and took a deep lungful of air. Moving his bones, now stiff from fatigue, outside of the shelter, he smiled. All around him he heard the echos of what had just passed. The squelch of his boots in mud, the drips of water falling from treetop, to leaf, to floor. Despite the stillness that surrounded him, life in the East Sussex was restless.

Haunted by the memories of last summer, Bridcutt walked across the downland, the spaciously aligned trees allowing any route to be taken and yet not conceding a clear path. He chose a direction and walked. At that moment of decision his mobile phone sprang to life. It's buzz and hum, normally quiet, seemed to echo all around. The called ID: GUS.

Bridcutt cancelled the call immediately. Last summer had been a difficult year for Liam, and his relationship with Gus was strained. When his employer parted company with the Uruguayan, relief had swept through Bridcutt like a wave. The hazy days of summer with Gus had past, tainted with the sting of less than favourable memories.

After hours of walking Liam had found sanctuary. He stepped off the uneven path and onto the firm pavement of Brighton's bustling town centre. The move away from instability reminded Liam of his arrival at Brighton. He had been a trialist at several clubs, never quite making the grade until Brighton took the chance. He felt safe in Brighton, he felt steady. However after what had been hours of walking, Liam became tired. Even the sun struggled to stay awake. Pink and amber flares slowly giving way to the yellow hazy buzz of the streetlights.

A deep magenta haze shone through the window, catching Bridcutts features in it's crossfire. The light danced round him like heat off baking sands. He checked his phone again. Thirteen missed calls. All from his agent. Liam slammed his phone onto the ground, breaking it instantly. A slow evening had ended abrutly.

He loved Brighton, and the snakey antics of his 'people' and former employer were of no concern to the young midfielder. He was in Brighton now, and he had a job to do.

Have to say that this is beautifully written.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It was a light-hearted complement to your diplomacy skills.
Don't think I've ever had a compliment on my diplomacy skills before. Regardless, teams don't have to sell players. Does anyone think Liverpool regret telling Suarez he had to stay?

No, not many people would turn it down. But my point is that the reason is not because their careers end at 30 as they can earn enough in 3 years to set them up for life. The reason is, as highlighted by your response and theose below you by nwgull and Tricky Dicky, simply greed.
I think it's unfair to call it greed, since every right minded person would take the pay rise (100k vs 10k). That's not greedy, that's just normal. And when players make decisions about moving, they will take different things into account, and no doubt the needs of their family, and the length of their career will be in their mind when making such decisions.

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
I can't believe we will receive a serious bid for Buckley
Not with another hamstring injury
January buys need to be ready to play

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009

After reading that drivel he'll be off

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Most, if not all, footballers would take it yes. But I think, and I bloody hope, that it is not the case to a lot of people. If you were on 10k a week to do a job you enjoy but were offered a job on 100k a week would you take it even if it was doing something you morally disagreed with?
Personally once a wage gets above a point where I can live comfortably the wage is not an issue, what you are doing/where you are is much much more important.
But anyway I think this has slipped off on a tangent :lolol:

Nearly all people would take a rise from 10K - 100K; why on earth wouldn't they? There is nothing morally wrong with a player moving clubs if the new club is offering an improved contract and has agreed a transfer fee, or the old contract has been fulfilled.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Hmm, I'd question the credibility of this latest "development" given their quote fails to recognise the fact that he's cup-tied (in the COC).

"Liam Bridcutt has seen his reputation rocket over recent years and Sky Sports understands that Sunderland are closing on his signature. The Black Cats hope to have reached an agreement with Brighton for the highly-rated midfielder by the time they face Manchester United in the Capital One Cup semi-finals on Tuesday."

Arrive and go straight into the team against Utd on the same day - not very probable is it?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
£10k a week is a ridiculous sum of money, no-one needs that much and I LOVE living in Brighton (where I'm soon to move out of because I can't afford to live here, despite working here).

It's all relative though, isn't it? A starving Ethiopian would say whatever you receive a month is "a ridiculous sum of money, no one needs that much".

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If you were on 10k a week to do a job you enjoy but were offered a job on 100k a week would you take it even if it was doing something you morally disagreed with?
But we're only talking about football, so I don't know where 'morally disagree' comes into it. If it was to do testing on animals, I'd say no thanks. If it was to be a banker, I'd take the 900% pay rise.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
If you are not an author you should be, that is a beautifully executed piece of writing.

Haunted by the memories of last summer, Bridcutt walked across the downland, the spaciously aligned trees allowing any route to be taken and yet not conceding a clear path. He chose a direction and walked. At that moment of decision his mobile phone sprang to life. It's buzz and hum, normally quiet, seemed to echo all around. The caller ID: GUS.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
My scenario also included:

"There will be very high expectations of him from the fans, Short, Di Fanti and the rest of the Sunderland squad as he would be a "Gus signing". There would be nowhere for him or Gus to hide and he has to live up to that Golden Child reputation Gus has put on him. Both their futures will be put under extremely close scrutiny."

This in my view is spot on. And despite all the hype of so much more money, which he'd get and probably more at any other club I personally don't think Sunderland and Poyet is in Liam's interest. But I know as much as us all.....nowt :)

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)

Haunted by the memories of last summer, Bridcutt walked across the downland, the spaciously aligned trees allowing any route to be taken and yet not conceding a clear path. He chose a direction and walked. At that moment of decision his mobile phone sprang to life. It's buzz and hum, normally quiet, seemed to echo all around. The caller ID: GUS.

There's 3 minutes of my life I'm not getting back.

Note: the 3 minutes it did replace were also quite tedious.:albion2:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Sorry but l can't agree. With very few exceptions, defensive midfielders don't fetch fantastic amounts of money. As good as Liam is at his job, he doesn't norm ally venture very far from his position in front of the back four, isn't a box to box type player, or weigh in with his share of goals.

If Sunderland, or any other club were to offer, say £2.5m for him, l'd do business. Especially bearing in mind we already have Keith Andrews and Rohan Ince on the staff who can do a similar job, (perhaps not quite as well, but at least adequately).

That £2.5m could then be spent on bringing Craig Conway back to the club permanently, and maybe attract another proven target man to sign for us, especially bearing in mind the continuing absence of CMS, and the possibility that Ashley Barnes will jump ship before the window closes.

Fair enough.. We will have to agree to disagree. All about opinions..

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Don't think I've ever had a compliment on my diplomacy skills before. Regardless, teams don't have to sell players. Does anyone think Liverpool regret telling Suarez he had to stay?

I think it's unfair to call it greed, since every right minded person would take the pay rise (100k vs 10k). That's not greedy, that's just normal. And when players make decisions about moving, they will take different things into account, and no doubt the needs of their family, and the length of their career will be in their mind when making such decisions.

I think I agree with this, and to some extent it touches upon how the 'right' struggles with the idea of a the left (like myself) seeing people earlning a lot of money. If someone gets to earn a big sum, fair play to them - If they are happy to pay the appropriate taxes and share some of that wealth with the more needy, that's not greed to me. If they aggresively avoid taxes and share as little as possible, that's greedy.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield

Very well written!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here