Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
In fact it was starting the phone earlier than the watch and forgetting to stop it. Have a look now. You can rest easy for a bit :)

The hill slowing you on the climb and giving you speed on the down is now on the graph. I thought you had a super human steady pace regardless of terrain. Brilliant run regardless of Strava and Garmin.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Not much excuse for going too fast at BM then [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

It's worse than that. The fecker died on 24 miles because even though I'd charged it I'd been using it as an actual watch since 6.30am on the day of the race. Had it been working I'd have sprinted like Usain Bolt on crack, pain or no pain, to get under 4 hours. Unfortunately I had no idea of my time whatsoever! #shootmenow

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It's worse than that. The fecker died on 24 miles because even though I'd charged it I'd been using it as an actual watch since 6.30am on the day of the race. Had it been working I'd have sprinted like Usain Bolt on crack, pain or no pain, to get under 4 hours. Unfortunately I had no idea of my time whatsoever! #shootmenow

That doesn't sound like your watch is right. My Garmin is on my wrist 24/7, used as a watch and does continual HR monitoring too. It lasts at least a week without charges.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Got one. I use both the phone and a watch as I've had the watch die on me and I'm a paranoid data nerd. Normally they match to within a couple of seconds but I screwed up today.

Ah - that might explain something. I was Strava-stalking a few of the NSC running club earlier to see how many miles a week you were all having to do to train for a marathon training and on one week I noticed you did 78.5 miles which made me go "Woooooooah!" but looking closer, there are 4 pairs of near-identical runs - date/time/distance/duration. Do they both get logged into Strava and you then have to delete one, if you remember?

Since I got my Garmin,

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Ah - that might explain something. I was Strava-stalking a few of the NSC running club earlier to see how many miles a week you were all having to do to train for a marathon training and on one week I noticed you did 78.5 miles which made me go "Woooooooah!" but looking closer, there are 4 pairs of near-identical runs - date/time/distance/duration. Do they both get logged into Strava and you then have to delete one, if you remember?

Since I got my Garmin,

I had my watch set to only manually upload to avoid dupes. It took a software update and uploaded the whole lot to strava because I linked it to my Garmin connect account way back when. I thought I'd de-duped them but I might need to trawl through further. 40 - 45 miles a week was about my peak in marathon training.

It's only a forerunner 10 as well, nowhere near as whizzy as yours. It has a 5 hour exercise max and I was aiming for sub-4. Clearly using it as a timepiece takes out of that, or I hadn't fully charged it.

It's my birthday in November so I'll probably get an upgrade that does HRM and has longer battery life then, ready for next year.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
It's only a forerunner 10 as well, nowhere near as whizzy as yours. It has a 5 hour exercise max and I was aiming for sub-4. Clearly using it as a timepiece takes out of that, or I hadn't fully charged it.

It's my birthday in November so I'll probably get an upgrade that does HRM and has longer battery life then, ready for next year.

.....or you could run it quicker next year and keep the one you have. I just found out that the new battery in my Garmin lasts at least 5:10:00. It is now Knocky 5 Jackson 7. I'm catching the ironman up!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Three Forts done. Relentless hills as usual with 3000 ft of elevation but fairly happy with 4.43 given all the recent training interruptions. Good to see [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] enjoying his trip out to the Dyke, and pretty sure [MENTION=30744]Pembury[/MENTION] was smashing it - miles ahead of me on the out and back section anyway. Hope [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] had a good half too. Decent NSC representation out there this morning

Not telling you how this was sent or from what device [emoji867]

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Three Forts done. Relentless hills as usual with 3000 ft of elevation but fairly happy with 4.43 given all the recent training interruptions. Good to see [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] enjoying his trip out to the Dyke, and pretty sure [MENTION=30744]Pembury[/MENTION] was smashing it - miles ahead of me on the out and back section anyway. Hope [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] had a good half too. Decent NSC representation out there this morning

I only entered today after reading all your positive comments and got to say thanks. I bloody loved it. Incredibly tough going and in hindsight probably went off a bit quick but I didn't realise what was coming. The weather was really kind to us today, just wish I could have taken in the sights a bit more instead of desperately taking in oxygen. I managed 1:48, which is slower than I'd hoped before I started but looking back I'm well pleased. That's the toughest race I've done.
Good to see the NSC runners beforehand, your obviously getting back in the groove and good to see [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] make a decent time considering he's only run 5 miles in the last fortnight.
Definitely putting that in the calendar for next year.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I only entered today after reading all your positive comments and got to say thanks. I bloody loved it. Incredibly tough going and in hindsight probably went off a bit quick but I didn't realise what was coming. The weather was really kind to us today, just wish I could have taken in the sights a bit more instead of desperately taking in oxygen. I managed 1:48, which is slower than I'd hoped before I started but looking back I'm well pleased. That's the toughest race I've done.
Good to see the NSC runners beforehand, your obviously getting back in the groove and good to see [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] make a decent time considering he's only run 5 miles in the last fortnight.

Great time on that course, nice one !

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Well done to the three forts runners. Sounds a tough course, going by the elevation.

2nd run post marathon for me upping the mileage from 5k to 4.5 miles. A little bit cloudier in Mexico but still really hot.
Final run Tuesday before heading home looking to get to 10k.

Didn't feel any tightness in my calf or groin today so having an extended rest looks to have done the trick.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

I'd rather only run 5 miles before than the 40 [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] accumulated this week before today. The man has bionic legs. Great meeting his running club.

Great event organisation, excellent camaraderie, many Hove Park faces around, beautiful weather showcasing the beauty of the South Downs. Walking uphills leads to chatting time and a group formed that all encouraged each other.
When they suggested a sprint finish we all went for it. The downside was I crossed the finish line flat out, tripped on the blue covers and flew through the air horizontally. Thankfully the medal man caught me and kept me upright.

Now for the final promotion push!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I'd rather only run 5 miles before than the 40 [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] accumulated this week before today. The man has bionic legs. Great meeting his running club.

Great event organisation, excellent camaraderie, many Hove Park faces around, beautiful weather showcasing the beauty of the South Downs. Walking uphills leads to chatting time and a group formed that all encouraged each other.
When they suggested a sprint finish we all went for it. The downside was I crossed the finish line flat out, tripped on the blue covers and flew through the air horizontally. Thankfully the medal man caught me and kept me upright.

Now for the final promotion push!

Epic stuff. Hats off to the 3 Forts Three.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012

Now for the final promotion push![/i

I hope that was caught on camera. Time for a new avatar...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Now for the final promotion push![/i

I hope that was caught on camera. Time for a new avatar...

Sounds like it was just after the official photographer. I'll message him and ask him anyway though :)

You've described trail running to a tee.........to the point I tripped up as well, at 25m. Gashed my knee but no real drama (or photos)

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly

1:48 is great time on that course. Nice one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here