Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Friday night Arcade Fire fancy dress roll call thread

Egon Spengler

Jul 5, 2011
Right, we're setting off, going to stop off in the Shepherds Bush Brewdog for a decent beer pre gig.

Looking forward to this!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What a great band and what a brilliant gig with added, rather random, Ian McCulloch and The Cutter cover. Managed to meet up with/or spot gjh1971, Hamilton, Pogue Mahone, CP 3 BHA 0, The Merry Prankster and Carrot Cruncher.

Next stop Berlin Kindl-Bühne Wuhlheide.

LeTiss

May 20, 2010
Southwater, Horsham
I haven't posted in a long long while but went to last nights gig and it made me dust down the password details.

Absolutely fabulous gig and to top it all Macca came on stage to do the Cutter cover seconds after I found it we had a new manager, who also has Liverpool connections of his own. I went with my youngest daughter donning a cravat and tweed jacket, drank in The Falcon, Clapham and had a fab evening. Loving the carnival vibe and one of the best feel good gigs in many a year (which I wasn't expecting).

Bring on the IOW festival!!

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I went last night - great performance by the band but for Jesus' sake Earls Court just sucks as a venue - I've been to nearly 300 gigs over the years at a variety of venues and the acoustic's at EC are truly appalling - no roof insulation to speak of so the sound was incredibly flat the further back you went. Time for Earls Court to have a refurb methinks.

Saw them in Camden in 2004 with only 200 people in the crowd - they've certainly gone too commercial for my tastes now but they can certainly play. Good night in all but the O2 gig in 2010 was far better.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Just seen last nights set list

Reflektor
(instrumental outro tape)
Reflektor
Flashbulb Eyes
Neighborhood #3 (Power Out)
Rebellion (Lies)
Joan of Arc
Rococo
The Suburbs
The Suburbs (Continued)
Ready to Start
Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)
The Cutter
(Echo & The Bunnymen cover) (with Ian McCulloch)
Neighborhood #2 (Laika)
No Cars Go
Haïti
We Exist
Afterlife
(w/ 'My Body Is a Cage' acapella intro)
It's Never Over (Oh Orpheus)
(Régine on B-Stage)
Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains)
('Damian Taylor Remix' intro)
Encore:
Bitter Sweet Symphony
(The Verve song) (fake band on B-stage)
Normal Person
Here Comes the Night Time
Wake Up

I would be delighted with more of the same tonight.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Bitter Sweet Symphony? Really?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Earls Court is a bit of a warehouse, it feels like the sort of venue you'd expect in Eastern bloc countries in the 70s...

However, if any band can command a space such as this, Arcade Fire can. And they did. Lots of genuine shiver up the spine moments, hair sticking up on the back of your neck etc. I thought the sound level was a bit dodgy at the start, but it didn't stay that way - they appeared to notice where it needed cranking up. We were quite near the front, so this may have helped.

I'd been looking forward to this gig for a long time. Last time I saw them was at Ally Pally in 2007. I had tickets for the O2 in 2010, but couldn't get out of Brighton due to a massive snow storm that made travel impossible. They did not disappoint last night, what a gig. I love this band.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Firstly, I must say I thought the performance of the Band, the set-list and the various fun elements they added were fantastic last night. I also really enjoyed meeting some fellow NSCers in the Atlas beforehand - boy, that was a busy pub!

But why oh why did AF choose Earls Court as a venue? It was truly horrible. The acoustics were the worst I've ever experienced in 30+ years of gig-going. The sound was completely muddy - all we really got was drums and a penetrating bass that made everything vibrate - don't get me wrong - I love being able to feel the bassline at a gig but this was ridiculous!

We chose to get seats because Mrs CP03 isn't the tallest and doesn't like the crowds when standing. We had Row B in one of the blocks nearest the standing area and level with the sound desk - on paper so far so good?. Our seats were higher than the lighting rig! The drop down to the standing area and the stage created a barrier that any band would struggle to bridge - and AF gave it a real go.

London and the UK have some terrific indoor venues these days - Earls Court either needs a complete revamp or to be used for exhibitions only.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I've got NSC to thank for getting me into arcade fire. I'll be there tonight, wearing my DJ.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Agree with all the comments. AF were brilliant, great theatre, great atmosphere, great to meet up with some NSCers. But Earl's Court is not a venue I'd hurry back to just because of the sound. It didn't bother me because the band were just very very very good, but they deserve a better space.

Great to hear The Cutter mid set.

Here Comes the Night Time was just lovely.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
We're seated tonight for the same reason as above (missus not the tallest etc.). Substitute a cameo by Ian McCulloch with David Byrne and I'd die a happy man. I though I'd read somewhere that AF was to be the last (ever?) gig at EC, possibly before a refit?!

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
We're seated tonight for the same reason as above (missus not the tallest etc.). Substitute a cameo by Ian McCulloch with David Byrne and I'd die a happy man. I though I'd read somewhere that AF was to be the last (ever?) gig at EC, possibly before a refit?!

They can't knock it down or refurbish it soon enough IMHO!

We were in Block 28. The secret is to get everyone up and standing. So frustrating to sit down a a gig like this.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Here Comes the Night Time was just lovely.

Agree and the crowd were really loosened up and going for it at this point. Lots of group hugging and jumping around.

My favorite was Hey Orpheus (It's Never Over); it's a lovely song and Win and Regina sang it to each other at different ends of the arena.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
They can't knock it down or refurbish it soon enough IMHO!

We were in Block 28. The secret is to get everyone up and standing. So frustrating to sit down a a gig like this.

Seated for Franz Ferdinand earlier this year and I swore never again! Oh well. :smile: Note to self: next time get a taller g/f

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The bit with the large papier mâché heads?

I couldn't recognize the song they were performing. Was it really Bitter Sweet?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
The bit with the large papier mâché heads?

Must have been this bit - I couldn't recognise a tune, and certainly didn't spot that it was Bitter Sweet Symphony.

I loved the 2nd stage idea - during We Exist there were dancers whose dance reminded me of the video to Fatboy's Praise You in it's kitschness. And when Regina was on it for Hey Orpheus...lovely. And the guy in the Refelktor suit.

Having got up near the front, I was a little worried that they were going to play their set from this stage, so was pleased when the band appeared where they did!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here