Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes, The Latest: Ashley Barnes Signs for Burnley *Confirmation*

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
We have let far to many players leave to easily or for relatively little that is the point.

how does this look as a illustration of how we've upped our game re: transfer deals...
Elphick, Cook, Alan Navarro, Gary Dicker, Romain Vincelot, Matt Sparrow, Ryan Harley, Marcos Painter, Grant Hall, Joe Mattock, Torby Adgenstein, and admittedly Noone, Murray
replaced by ...
Ward, Andrews, Agustien, Conway, Upson, Ulloa, David, Bruno, Orlandi, Crofts, CMS, Buckley, Kuz.
all international players with Prem League or La Liga experience. (Ulloa is exception here :)

Bridge we did let go last year cos of wages (but he's been injured) and Vicente (injured ..no other club has taken him on).
this is an astonishing transformation in transfer business in terms of players in and players out.

And hardly a selling club.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Doesn't really matter whether you're vague on it or not. The fact is that Holloway was responsible for nearly taking Palace out of the play offs altogether. Dobbie didn't keep them up there more than any other player. Someone else would have scored the goals. The fact is that Murray has been excellent for them and Dobbie was given to them because we didn't rate him. I think Barnes going to Burnley says more about what we think about Burnley than Barnes. IE he's too good for them. They won't go up. And with or without him we'll end up above them.

One draw instead of a defeat would have seen them fall out of the playoffs, pretty sure Dobbie scored a winner for them at some stage, bit glib to say with any certainty that some else would have done it if he hadn't. The chances of us catching Burnley diminish with us selling them a striker, they are quite far ahead of us already, what makes you so confident we'll catch the?

Maybe you or NW gull could name me another Championship team who have sold one of their better strikers to a promotion rival in a January window, because I can't think of one, yet we look like doing it twice in two seasons. Just madness IMO, as it makes life more difficult for us.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The name I've heard, and please understand that this comes complete with a pinch of salt, is this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Stuani

He's at Espanyol at present, who are financially up shit creek with no paddle and a hole in the canoe. Guillem Balague was talking on Revista de la Liga last week about how anyone with a few quid could basically knock on the door and have their pick. We shall see...

A...er...Uruguayan? I hope Gus doesn't meet them all at the airport or phone them. I hope he has a snazzy nickname.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove

Attachments

• simon_jordan_981561c.jpg
    simon_jordan_981561c.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 578

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
SSN Suggest Fee Agreed with Burnley for Ashley Barnes

One draw instead of a defeat would have seen them fall out of the playoffs, pretty sure Dobbie scored a winner for them at some stage, bit glib to say with any certainty that some else would have done it if he hadn't. The chances of us catching Burnley diminish with us selling them a striker, they are quite far ahead of us already, what makes you so confident we'll catch the?

Maybe you or NW gull could name me another Championship team who have sold one of their better strikers to a promotion rival in a January window, because I can't think of one, yet we look like doing it twice in two seasons. Just madness IMO, as it makes life more difficult for us.

He's scored 4 goals and 2 pens. Hardly a great return for a striker.

If we hadn't got rid of Dobbie, we wouldn't have been able to signs Upson. I'd argue that Upson in the side won us a number of points and got us into the playoffs (above palace). Hardly a poor bit of business.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Reading between the lines I rekon this outcome was inevitable from the moment Burnley wanted him.

His agent would know what Burnley were prepared to offer and if we weren't able or prepared to match it then it's the obvious choice to leave. He's probably getting a nice signing on fee as well which he wouldn't get if he signed another contract here.

To be honest I don't blame him. At this level players surely have to follow the money more than they do in the prem, he's not a millionaire and if he earns an extra 50 or 100 grand through the term of the deal then I think anyone in that situation would take the bigger contract.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Well, I've just told the kids about Ashley Barnes. Unanimous sadness that we'll probably never see him playing the club again...

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Well, I've just told the kids about Ashley Barnes. Unanimous sadness that we'll probably never see him playing the club again...

If they fancy the trip, you'll probably be able to see him playing us again in a couple of weeks...

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009

Understand what you mean. I was more worried about Dobbie because I thought he was an excellent player who didn;t work for us. But he didn't work for Palace and I think Bloom called that one right. As for Burnley I think they are overrated. They have an excellent manager but I think the team will be found out over a whole season. We will end up ahead of them I think. I don't think Barnes is the answer for them. I'm not so fussed about selling to rivals along as the protagonists involved understand it and I think Bloom generally does.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
If they fancy the trip, you'll probably be able to see him playing us again in a couple of weeks...

Burnley on a school night in January? I bet they won't miss him that much!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
how does this look as a illustration of how we've upped our game re: transfer deals...
Elphick, Cook, Alan Navarro, Gary Dicker, Romain Vincelot, Matt Sparrow, Ryan Harley, Marcos Painter, Grant Hall, Joe Mattock, Torby Adgenstein, and admittedly Noone, Murray
replaced by ...
Ward, Andrews, Agustien, Conway, Upson, Ulloa, David, Bruno, Orlandi, Crofts, CMS, Buckley, Kuz.
all international players with Prem League or La Liga experience. (Ulloa is exception here :)

Bridge we did let go last year cos of wages (but he's been injured) and Vicente (injured ..no other club has taken him on).
this is an astonishing transformation in transfer business in terms of players in and players out.

And hardly a selling club.

Well said, the voice of reason.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

... my six-year-old is pretty upset too, as am I, but we're not despondent, and think that the club will navigate their way through this situation just fine. Only time will tell on that front though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here