Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes, The Latest: Ashley Barnes Signs for Burnley *Confirmation*

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Good day - Burnley fan here in peace - well sort of.
works hard, presses high up the pitch, reasonable amount of talent and knows where the goal is even if not prolific.

Hello. You've got things about right here. He works really hard, and is an intelligent player with excellent movement, provided he can avoid any further indiscretions. Knows where the net is, but often contrives to miss it. Think you'll like him.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I have zero hope that CMS will be the player he was (and I wasn't particularly excited by the player he was).. I can only be pleasantly surprised.

Ditto, we will be back to watching ping football

jimmy_patrick

Sep 23, 2011
Always thought he was never quite good enough. Great in league one but found out in the championship. Could work hard when he wanted to but often his awareness was not good enough and his decision making was poor. Brilliant business for the club if we get over 1m for a player of his quality with 6 months on his contract. Big question is who will be his replacement?

lasvegan

Jan 30, 2009
Sin City
Always had mixed feelings about Barnes, but an interview in the Argus after his Bournemouth goal summed him up for me, and I quote...

Barnes admitted it was the sort of strike he rarely produces in training. "We have a lad who goes and collects them out of the trees," he joked. "I'll have a look at it on the DVD for sure.

Now I'm all for a bit of self deprecating humor, but that is not the kind of statement that you would like to hear coming from your center forward. I think our standards are rising enough that someone as good as Barnes will never reach the standard the the club is setting for the future. I wish him well, but not that sad to see him go.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Always had mixed feelings about Barnes, but an interview in the Argus after his Bournemouth goal summed him up for me, and I quote...

Barnes admitted it was the sort of strike he rarely produces in training. "We have a lad who goes and collects them out of the trees," he joked. "I'll have a look at it on the DVD for sure.

Now I'm all for a bit of self deprecating humor, but that is not the kind of statement that you would like to hear coming from your center forward. I think our standards are rising enough that someone as good as Barnes will never reach the standard the the club is setting for the future. I wish him well, but not that sad to see him go.

Ash has been a bit of a cart horse for us and unless Dyche is a better manager than Oscar that is what he will be for Burnley , love the guy to bits but ever since he nearly cut CMS in half on telly i knew he is missing something ,will it come with age...? who knows...? Ta ta and all the best Ash.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Ash has been a bit of a cart horse for us and unless Dyche is a better manager than Oscar that is what he will be for Burnley , love the guy to bits but ever since he nearly cut CMS in half on telly i knew he is missing something ,will it come with age...? who knows...? Ta ta and all the best Ash.

You haven't seen him play have you???

Shoreham Gull

Nov 3, 2012
Westdene
You can't leave the Firm Barnes!

If you are looking for playing for burnley, I can tell you they don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let the new contract go now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.
Good Luck !!!

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Nakhi Wells is signing for Huddersfield. I'm disappointed we didn't go in for him as he would have been an ideal replacement for Barnes.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Good day - Burnley fan here in peace - well sort of.

One or two fairly ignorant comments about the club, town and it's people - which surprised me a bit. I used to work with a BHA fan many moons ago (if you are reading Charles, hope you are well :) ) and he was a real, genuine football fan - in common with most of the BHA fans I've met over the years. I can only assume a new breed have been attracted by that fabulous and bright & shiny new stadium. That said I love some of the stuff they do at your gaff - fan comfort seems to be a central philosophy which is hardly the norm at this level.

Anyway, on to why he might have signed for us. Instinct tells me it is all down to the manager. He's wanted him at least since summer and I suspect he was able to win over Barnes. What I've read of him (Barnes) and the little I've seen he is a player very much in the mould Dyche looks for, works hard, presses high up the pitch, reasonable amount of talent and knows where the goal is even if not prolific. I also imagine the contract on offer at Brighton for whatever reason wasn't as appealing, be it money, duration or both. I doubt the level of football would be a factor, with your greater resources I'd have thought over a 5 year time line you'd have far more chance of making it to the PL than Burnley.

I won't wish you luck for this season - for obvious reasons - but I will wish you luck for the future and just ask you to remember that it is as ridiculous a generalisation to assume all people in the North fit the media stereotypes as it is to believe all the nonsense spouted about people from Brighton

:wave: Hello Phil, I'm good, hope you are too!

Welcome to the delights of NSC, but be careful, you may not want to leave! Ignore the numpties who slag off Burnley, we have our share of ignorant and insular cretins.

I think you have it about right with Barnes. Personally, I'm sorry to see him go, as he has been an integral part of the squad (and usually starting 11) all season. If Obika (plus hopefully one other) can contribute at least as much through the rest of the campaign, then it will prove to be a sound piece of business on our behalf. If not, we will probably struggle to make the play-offs.

I must admit I'm surprised at how well Burnley have done this season so far. Hanging on to Ings would seem to be key to your chances this season. You'll have to post on here to let us know how the Clarets fans take to Barnes as the season progresses.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
Oscar needs to tell Adam El-Abd to keep his hands off Barnes later in the month or there'll be at least one Burnley penalty given in the match. We know Ashley goes down quicker than "your Mum" when given half a chance.

J2 DOG

Feb 28, 2009
Hove
Good signing for Burnley! Adding another dimension to their already effective front line. This is what you need to do to make that big step into the Prem! I hope the club have something up their sleeve to replace him because you cannot get much for £750000 these days. Signing players for these sort of prices is always a risk, although Barnes is NOT.He is a proven player at this level and a real bargain for Burnley. We have been lightweight up front for the last 3 years,not enough competition in this area. So we now go and sell one of our two fit strikers?

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
So Barnes says a fond farewell to the Albion fans that supposedly hounded him out the club, I guess we'll find out his real feelings when he inevitably scores against us on the 28th. Murray had the class to not celebrate his goals against us, I just can't see angry man Barnes doing the same.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Ashley Barnes has said thank you to Albion’s fans and told seagulls.co.uk he will take many fond memories from his time with the club.

The striker completed his move to Burnley earlier today, but before heading off to Yeovil with his new side for their game Huish Park tomorrow, the former Plymouth Argyle striker took time out to say a fond farewell to Seagulls fans.

“I am sorry to leave Brighton, but it was a fantastic opportunity with Burnley and one which I really had to take,” he explained. “I hope fans understand that football can be like that.

“Now I am now looking forward to the next chapter of my career at a new club – but I will take away some brilliant memories from time with the Albion.

“The fans have been fantastic to me, and the last four years have been brilliant. It’s been a rollercoaster, but with a lot more ups than downs – both for the club and me personally.

“I’d also like to thank those at the club who’ve helped me develop as a player, especially Gus, Tano and Charlie. And since the summer Oscar and Nathan.

“Brighton are a great club and I am sure they will continue to progress with Oscar. He is a top coach and I have enjoyed my time playing for him this season, and I would like to thank him and wish him well.”

Barnes is already looking forward to a swift reunion with his former colleagues, when Albion travel to Burnley on the 28th January.

“As a professional I will be looking to do my best for Burnley, I’m sure Albion fans will understand that sentiment will be put to one side for that match; maybe a few will give me a bit of banter from the stands – but I hope most will remember the good things I did for the club.

“My highlights are winning the league and scoring 20 goals in the championship-winning season, helping to establish Brighton as a real force in the Championship and I will never forget that first game at the Amex, and beating Doncaster 2-1.

“I will always have a soft spot for the club and wish all the lads well for the rest of the season – except of course when they come to Turf Moor!

Read more at http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/article/ash-says-thanks-to-fans-1286305.aspx#LGEbQ6IRIwzBJmJk.99

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Ashley Barnes has said thank you to Albion’s fans and told seagulls.co.uk he will take many fond memories from his time with the club.

The striker completed his move to Burnley earlier today, but before heading off to Yeovil with his new side for their game Huish Park tomorrow, the former Plymouth Argyle striker took time out to say a fond farewell to Seagulls fans.

“I am sorry to leave Brighton, but it was a fantastic opportunity with Burnley and one which I really had to take,” he explained. “I hope fans understand that football can be like that.

“Now I am now looking forward to the next chapter of my career at a new club – but I will take away some brilliant memories from time with the Albion.

“The fans have been fantastic to me, and the last four years have been brilliant. It’s been a rollercoaster, but with a lot more ups than downs – both for the club and me personally.

“I’d also like to thank those at the club who’ve helped me develop as a player, especially Gus, Tano and Charlie. And since the summer Oscar and Nathan.

“Brighton are a great club and I am sure they will continue to progress with Oscar. He is a top coach and I have enjoyed my time playing for him this season, and I would like to thank him and wish him well.”

Barnes is already looking forward to a swift reunion with his former colleagues, when Albion travel to Burnley on the 28th January.

“As a professional I will be looking to do my best for Burnley, I’m sure Albion fans will understand that sentiment will be put to one side for that match; maybe a few will give me a bit of banter from the stands – but I hope most will remember the good things I did for the club.

“My highlights are winning the league and scoring 20 goals in the championship-winning season, helping to establish Brighton as a real force in the Championship and I will never forget that first game at the Amex, and beating Doncaster 2-1.

“I will always have a soft spot for the club and wish all the lads well for the rest of the season – except of course when they come to Turf Moor!

Read more at http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/article/ash-says-thanks-to-fans-1286305.aspx#LGEbQ6IRIwzBJmJk.99

I can't believe he has disrespected us fans so much, I'm going to give him dogs abuse now at Turf Moor.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here