Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes, The Latest: Ashley Barnes Signs for Burnley *Confirmation*

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Ashley Barnes was in a front 2 with Glenn Murray and they both scored a hatful (and Barnsey missed a fair few). But we just don't play with 2 up top at the moment. Very good footballer and disappointed he appears to be off, but not in Glenda's class.

Murray missed quite a lot as well

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I think Barnes has been brilliant for us. A fantastic servant. Getting a fee for him with 6 months left is a great bit of business, but I will be sad to see him go. He scored some goals when they mattered, he worked tirelessly alone up front on several occasions and I always saw him as a team player. Ok, he showed his red mist every now and then, but I will forgive him that. If he is going, then I say thanks and wish him the very best (except against us).

Agree with all this Hamilton, but will add one thing. Barnes is a great squad player for the Championship. I have serious doubts as to whether he'll do much in the Premier League, if he gets there. He quite simply is not clinical enough. That header that he put against the put is just one example that is illustrative of that. Oscar doesn't say much in his interviews, but the one thing that he's regularly stated is that we're not taking our chances. I agree with him on that. And guess what word Obika used in his first interview: clinical. This might just be Oscar putting his stamp on the squad.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
not fussed either way tbf,never really rated him although never berated himl ike some on here.
Always needed 4 chances for one goal,spend about 6 mins a game,either moaning at ref while out of the game,or on the floor again out of the ,good luck to the lad mind

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Sure, he HAS scored 20 goals. That was in the level below. Do you honestly believe that he has it in him to do that in the Championship? He is chronically profligate in a team that creates him chance after chance after chance. Every game he blasts one sitter somewhere other than the goal. I think people are already rewriting history about the quality of our third choice striker.

Do you never sleep? You were on here into the wee small hours of this morning (when I was tucking into the FBI Files on QUEST) and you're back here now!?!?!?!?!.!!!?!?,?!?,?

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
That is true. I guess I could be proved horribly wrong. Fortunately, knowing Ashley Barnes's chance conversion rate, that is unlikely. To be honest though, if we are actually getting £1.5 million I'm surprised there isn't a que of people outside the stadium willing to drive him up there.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Sure, he HAS scored 20 goals. That was in the level below. Do you honestly believe that he has it in him to do that in the Championship? He is chronically profligate in a team that creates him chance after chance after chance. Every game he blasts one sitter somewhere other than the goal. I think people are already rewriting history about the quality of our third choice striker.

Your one-eyed opinion is all about the goals he's scored. There is much more to his game than that (e.g. creating chances for other by lay-offs, passes and through balls, pressuring defenders and moving them out of position and I've lost count of the times his clearing headers have saved the day at opposition corners.

Let's look at this objectively; on the one hand Gus rated him, Oscar rates him, Leeds rate him, Burnley rate him. On the other hand you don't.

No brainer.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Why do all Ashley Barnes threads turn into arguments? Just ignore the trolls, anyone with half a brain cell can see how much Ashley gives the team as a TEAM player. (Crosses/Defensively from Corners ect)

Learnt from experience on here, the people who don't like Barnes can't be reasoned with it's an irrational thing

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Apart from the fact I don't want him to go, I can't see how he is going to get a game at Burnley anyway with Ings and Vokes there

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Apart from the fact I don't want him to go, I can't see how he is going to get a game at Burnley anyway with Ings and Vokes there

Very much this. He will come off the bench there but the expectations will be much greater. He works hard and is a good team player but not one who is naturally gifted at top championship level.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Agree with all this Hamilton, but will add one thing. Barnes is a great squad player for the Championship. I have serious doubts as to whether he'll do much in the Premier League, if he gets there. He quite simply is not clinical enough. That header that he put against the put is just one example that is illustrative of that. Oscar doesn't say much in his interviews, but the one thing that he's regularly stated is that we're not taking our chances. I agree with him on that. And guess what word Obika used in his first interview: clinical. This might just be Oscar putting his stamp on the squad.

Can't disagree with that.

PS don't tell Burnley.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
That is true. I guess I could be proved horribly wrong. Fortunately, knowing Ashley Barnes's chance conversion rate, that is unlikely. To be honest though, if we are actually getting £1.5 million I'm surprised there isn't a of people outside the stadium willing to drive him up there.

So who provided the cross of the season for Ulloa's maiden goal

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
They are very happy that they have 'stolen' our top scorer from under our noses...

http://nonaynever.net/18080/barnes-signing-is-a-metaphor/

"The signing of Ashley Barnes is more than that though. It affects more than just tactics. It’s a metaphor. A metaphor for commitment, belief and increasing ambitions. It’s a message to the rest of the league but more importantly though, it’s a message to ourselves."

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
good price really,the club had been waiting for him to sign a deal

It's a steal...Where else would a team pick up a 10 goal a season championship striker for less than £1million at any point in their contract?

I hope the clauses we're adding on include a promotion and appearance clause!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here