Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Really enjoyed Melt Yourself Down last night, impossible not to stand still even after a day of disappointment and grief. Still waiting for the vinyl version of the new album to arrive in the post but enjoyed the live taster. Shame about these Haunt events is they finish so early. Was planning then to see AK/DK but that was almost over too.

Glad you went. I didn't get back until 9.30, and was knackered. They're some experience live.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
So some consolation for no playoff final is that the 28th looks like an amazing day of gigs in B'ton.

A Downtown Boys matinee followed by Follakzoid or The Chills. Smashing stuff.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Interesting couple of weekends coming up with Hacienda Classical tomorrow and Algiers next weekend. Fancy I might try and find a little something on Saturday for free too.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Phronesis at The Corn Exchange tonight, and then Follakzoid next Saturday now I won't be going to Wembley :cry:
and also Algiers next Sunday.

Tidy schedule that, especially Follakzoid. I'm off to see Suuns tonight.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Phronesis for me tonight as well. Really enjoyed their set at love supreme a couple of years ago. Am listening to the new studio release Parralax as I catch up on NSC!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Phronesis for me tonight as well. Really enjoyed their set at love supreme a couple of years ago. Am listening to the new studio release Parralax as I catch up on NSC!

They were really impressive. We were right in the middle of the front row and we had a fine time. I was really pleased to see so many there, never thought that avant-garde Scandi jazz would attract 200/300/whatever.
I managed to bump into Dan Spicer last night, who put on last year's Brighton Alternative Jazz Festival, which was an incredible event. He said that it's going ahead this year, early/mid-September -- I'd highly recommend that.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
The Dictionary Pud/ Faux Discx organised all dayer was fantastic on Saturday. Hookworms were their usual brilliant selves, it was great to catch them in a properly small venue again. - ace support from Cold Pumas, Sweet Williams, Irma Vep & Great Ytene among others as well.

Did anyone do the TGE main event? Was it Ggod/ bad/ indifferent? I managed to have a great 3 days scooting around seeing the Alternative Escape stuff. The freebies downstairs at The Hope were rather good on the Saturday.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Did anyone do the TGE main event? Was it Ggod/ bad/ indifferent? I managed to have a great 3 days scooting around seeing the Alternative Escape stuff. The freebies downstairs at The Hope were rather good on the Saturday.

Me. I thought it was really good fun this year. This was the first year where i really had no idea who the hell anyone was, so it was full on work your way through the line up research at the last minute. Saw quite a wide range of bands some nice indie from Blossoms and Fronteers, some good country/americana from The Sisterhood, The Wild Feathers and Larkin Poe, some good rocking with Black Foxxes and Reigning Days, the Scottish showcase was particularly good with Isle and Man of Moon very impressive. Finished off with Parisian psychedelia from Holy Oysters on the saturday night. Also caught some alt escape stuff I enjoyed Super Glu at the East Street Tap in particular.

All in all an excellent year, thursday was great as you could flit from venue to venue and the atmosphere around was town was just buzzing. Looking forward to doing it all again next year.

SicilianHungary

Dec 5, 2015

I did! Saw loads of people across the three days with the wristband, saw almost everyone I wanted - the one I couldn't see could have been fixed with better planning on my part! Highlights including Eagulls, Bleached, Wyvern Lingo, Gundelach and Liss.

I think the free shows were perhaps 'cooler' than some of the main shows. Dream Wife at Photomatic, Get Inuit at Beyond Retro, Day Wave in the middle of Hare & Hounds. Chastity Belt at the Hope were very good - they played my favourite!

Just a few weekends until Field Day in London!

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
The Dictionary Pud/ Faux Discx organised all dayer was fantastic on Saturday. Hookworms were their usual brilliant selves, it was great to catch them in a properly small venue again. - ace support from Cold Pumas, Sweet Williams, Irma Vep & Great Ytene among others as well.

Glad you enjoyed your weekend. We had tickets for the main festival but ended up seeing lots from the alternative too- mainly in Bar Rogue where Earworm were running things. The Fiction Aisle played there on the Friday and managed to squeeze into the tiny space available. They were particularly enjoyable and Tom White clearly deserves some success with them. Other bands included Frankie Cosmos (should go down well with those on the indietracks thread) Larkin Poe ( rather attractive ) Skinny Girl Diet, Chastity Belt, Vulgarians, Idles (loud), Tibet, Smerz, Glass, View, Aisha Devi, Guy Andrews, and a few others the names of which I did not catch. Was not able to see much during Thursday and Friday daytime due to work sadly. Overall I enjoyed this year more than the last. Brighton is at its very best during the festival and great fun wandering around not really having any agenda to worry about. Bring on 2017.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Jeffrey Lewis for the umpteenth time tonight. He is fun though.

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
late to the party on this lot, but i see the avalanches have been announced for Wildlife festival.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here