Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So. Iron Maiden tonight, ACDC tomorrow. And a bit too much craft beer last night

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I just don't think I got it. Or I was too far back. Or I think I need to actually hear a song every now and again. Or I'm too cynical.

Anyway, I left feeling a bit confused by them.

Same here, I left before the end. I do like them though, I'm very interested to see where they go from here, there's talent and songs in there, I just don't think it's quite the sum of its parts live.

Mind you, I thought Blood Sport who supported them were excellent and they seemed to inspire revulsion in the majority of the people I overheard/ spoke to. Hats off to Algiers for taking something so challenging on tour with them, I normally moan about 'bought on' tour supports but this clearly wasn't one of them.

I'll punt the Blood Sport EP again on this thread. I was very pleased to pick it up on Sunday - https://bloodsport.bandcamp.com/.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Same here, I left before the end. I do like them though, I'm very interested to see where they go from here, there's talent and songs in there, I just don't think it's quite the sum of its parts live.

Mind you, I thought Blood Sport who supported them were excellent and they seemed to inspire revulsion in the majority of the people I overheard/ spoke to. Hats off to Algiers for taking something so challenging on tour with them, I normally moan about 'bought on' tour supports but this clearly wasn't one of them.

I'll punt the Blood Sport EP again on this thread. I was very pleased to pick it up on Sunday - https://bloodsport.bandcamp.com/.

I think that Blood Sport have something, I just wished they'd strip it all back a bit instead of trying to use every piece equipment they've got.

They also had a wicked t shirt in amongst their merch, which was a bootleg of a lucazade sport t shirt.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I think that Blood Sport have something, I just wished they'd strip it all back a bit instead of trying to use every piece equipment they've got.

They also had a wicked t shirt in amongst their merch, which was a bootleg of a lucazade sport t shirt.

They reminded me a touch more than I was prepared for of Battles. Raw but I love the idea.

That t-shirt was ace.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Algiers tonight. I haven't looked forward to a gig so much for ages.

Resident got their Album of the Year right last year, probably, in my opinion. I have listened to it even more this year. It is magnificent...I really can't wait!

I thought they were great, would recommend both the Album and seeing them live. Loved the bass players hitting everything with his hands, his head, the floor the drummer...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3L0NI8vcMg

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton

Cheers for the Blood Sport link, they really reminded me of a band that would have just used up their Peel session time in just one track, lots of good stuff oozing out in that set.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Brian Jonestown Massacre playing the Concorde this month. Surely they could have sold out the Dome at the very least. Always amazes me some of the big acts that end up at the Concorde.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Saw Shellac in that London last night. They were brilliant as ever.

Is anyone lucky enough to be in Barca for Primavera?

Shellac are one of my favourite live acts, they manage to channel intensity, menace and tension in their sets. I'm about to head up to that London, but seeing a bit of Shakespeare instead.
I'm extremely annoyed with myself about missing out on Primavera, their line-up is about as good as that Shellac-curated ATP about 15 years ago.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Brian Jonestown Massacre playing the Concorde this month. Surely they could have sold out the Dome at the very least. Always amazes me some of the big acts that end up at the Concorde.

They've fluctuated in popularity a fair bit in recent times. It wasn't that long ago there were tickets on the door for a Concorde gig of theirs, the one where they played well beyond the curfew - was anyone else there? Around 2008/9 IIRC.

I remember seeing them in a really small venue in London a few years before that as well.

Good to see they appear to be on an upwards trajectory again.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Went to see Shellac at Koko last night, who were supported by Helen Money. Experimental cello, I thought, isn't for me. Saw her last 3 or 4 tracks though, and they were rather good. :)
Shellac, afterwards, were their usual selves of hardrocking faux-hateful mischief. A good night of it. Since my back naughtily decayed a couple of years ago, I am finding it more difficult to stay standing throughout a gig though, without a nagging pain. Any speedy or mosh-worthy bands I couldn't watch whilst seated though. I am looking forward to the days of a gravity free area in music venues for the less mobile to bob around in.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Recovering from two epic rock gigs. Iron Maiden were great and Bruce seems more sprightly than ever. ACDC with Axl was a blast; he turned up on time, behaved himself and fitted in perfectly. He is certainly added a different but positive dimension to the band. Good call from ACDC and a fun and brilliant night of rock and the band seemed to enjoy is all as well...especially Axl

Last edited:

Jul 7, 2003
Recovering from two epic rock gigs. Iron Maiden were great and Bruce seems more sprightly than ever. ACDC with Axl was a blast; he turned up on time, behaved himself and fitted in perfectly. He is certainly added a different but positive dimension to the band. Good call from ACDC and a fun and brilliant night of rock and the band seemed to enjoy is all as well...especially Axl

How was the AC/DC set list compared to last year? I read today that they have taken the opportunity to rejig the set and bring back some older songs that are more suited to Axl than Beano. If they did Touch Too Much I will be very jealous.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
How was the AC/DC set list compared to last year? I read today that they have taken the opportunity to rejig the set and bring back some older songs that are more suited to Axl than Beano. If they did Touch Too Much I will be very jealous.

The set was the same as last year but they have added Rock and Roll Damnation and Riff Raff. The latter, as I understand it, was at Axl's request as it's a favourite of his. Not sure what, or if, they dropped two tunes to accommodate these. No Touch Too Much I'm afraid.

As an aside there was a high beer and meat intake taking in a visit to The Bird on Monday and ending with a pork knuckle yesterday lunch time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here