Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you want the words to Sussex by the Sea on the big screens before kick off?

Do you want the words to Sussex by the Sea on the big screens before kick off?

• Yes

Votes: 212 76.3%
  • No

Votes: 66 23.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Football songs have to be simple or they dont work. Too many words and it will fail, that is why at the Soldstone the record was played, people would hum along and then sing "going up to win the cup". Good luck with it tho, I would be surprised if you will get thousands singing long verses instead of a couple of ditty's but it would be nice. In

Have you ever heard Sheffield United sing their version of Annies Song? "The Greasy Chip Butty song as they call it.

Sounds brilliant and quite a few words too.

You Fill Up My Senses,

Like A Gallon Of Magnet,

Like A Packet Of Woodbines,

Like A Good Pinch Of Snuff,

Like A Night Out In Sheffield,

Like A Greasy Chip Butty,

Like Sheffield United,

Come Fill Me Again,

Na Na Na Na Na...OOOOHH!

Feb 14, 2010
Have you ever heard Sheffield United sing their version of Annies Song? "The Greasy Chip Butty song as they call it.

Sounds brilliant and quite a few words too.

You Fill Up My Senses,

Like A Gallon Of Magnet,

Like A Packet Of Woodbines,

Like A Good Pinch Of Snuff,

Like A Night Out In Sheffield,

Like A Greasy Chip Butty,

Like Sheffield United,

Come Fill Me Again,

Na Na Na Na Na...OOOOHH!

And Fields of Athenry, but I think SBTS is great to hum to and the chorus of "and we are going up to win the cup" or "stand or fall" works but think they might be struggling to sing the words to the rest of it. Love to be wrong and good luck to them but that is what the test of time seems to suggest.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
This.

And it was very nice to hear a few lads in WSU trying to get Stand or fall going yesterday, I joined in but sadly nobody else did.

I think you'll find you weren't the only one.

I joined in as well, Row M.

They've been doing it for most of this season and a few more are catching on.

I'm guessing it's [MENTION=29098]Sussaxon[/MENTION] leading it?

Sussaxon

Mar 19, 2014
Sussex
I think you'll find you weren't the only one.

I joined in as well, Row M.

They've been doing it for most of this season and a few more are catching on.

I'm guessing it's [MENTION=29098]Sussaxon[/MENTION] leading it?

No I wasn't leading it, but it was great to hear. It was way up behind me, I sit near the front. I heard it being sang before after the start of the second half, but yesterday it sounded louder, I hope more people are joining in?

I think yesterday proved to me that more needs to be made out of SBTS, the music is way too loud to hear anyone singing the words anyway, and why the music isn't now being dipped out is beyond me! I just can't help but remember when we played Liverpool at Anfield a couple of seasons ago, that YNWA is an 'event', at the moment SBTS is nowhere near this. It should be feared by the Away team!!!

I did like the Ring of Fire up to kick-off, although that could have been faded away aswell to allow the crowd to carry it on.

Feb 14, 2010
One thing is for sure, the visit of Leeds will show just how good Sussex by the Sea is. Poor old Leeds can only ever reply with "Yorkshire, Yorkshire, Yorkshire". Is GOSBTS the longest running / oldest football song in the country? Any other candidates?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Probably a good idea. Not everyone knows the words so it might help with the singalong.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
One thing is for sure, the visit of Leeds will show just how good Sussex by the Sea is. Poor old Leeds can only ever reply with "Yorkshire, Yorkshire, Yorkshire". Is GOSBTS the longest running / oldest football song in the country? Any other candidates?

On the ball (Norwich) city is older.

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
Should I be ashamed that before reading this thread, I had no idea Norman Wisdom was not only a fan but a member of the board of the Albion. Anyone else I may have missed who supported us or still does? Especially any former Match of the Day hosts or famous DJs?

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
Please let's not actually show the opposition that we don't know the words to our own anthem.

We do every week.
Lets do the, apparently for some painfully embarrassing, work of teaching it to the JCL's, students and what not.

Alternatively lets leave it a bit mediocre, because some slightly immature posters on here find a season of teaching it to the newcomers a bit cringeworthy because of what opposition fans might say/think. I think you probably care too much about what people think of you, there's no shame in the amount of new fans we have, it came with the terrible times we came through, be proud to be doing all we can to get them on board and the stadium rocking.

It could be awesome. If it doesn't work most of us have lost nothing, and you'll have had some thoughts about what people must be thinking, but probably aren't and to be honest who really gives 2 shits anyhow...

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

I suspect The Blaydon Races has been sung at NUFC games for longer.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
We do every week.
Lets do the, apparently for some painfully embarrassing, work of teaching it to the JCL's, students and what not.

Alternatively lets leave it a bit mediocre, because some slightly immature posters on here find a season of teaching it to the newcomers a bit cringeworthy because of what opposition fans might say/think. I think you probably care too much about what people think of you, there's no shame in the amount of new fans we have, it came with the terrible times we came through, be proud to be doing all we can to get them on board and the stadium rocking.

It could be awesome. If it doesn't work most of us have lost nothing, and you'll have had some thoughts about what people must be thinking, but probably aren't and to be honest who really gives 2 shits anyhow...

Immature? Oooooo. Get you!

Dec 15, 2014
Here
Immature? Oooooo. Get you!

dating-love-immature_men-growing_up-grown_ups-first_dates-jknn363_low.jpg

Chief Wiggum

Apr 30, 2009
Born and raised in Sussex, but now living overseas I am still a season tkt holder attending about 80% of home games. I am a proud son of Sussex. GOSBTS was played as the final song at my fathers funeral and it will be played at mine. My 18 yr old son learnt the words from me when we hiked along the South Downs Way last year. It is unique and I shall be at Leeds tonight belting out the words (as shown in this thread) as I always do. Get the lyrics up there, learn the words, learn the history, teach your kids. Have pride. Stand or Fall

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Born and raised in Sussex, but now living overseas I am still a season tkt holder attending about 80% of home games. I am a proud son of Sussex. GOSBTS was played as the final song at my fathers funeral and it will be played at mine. My 18 yr old son learnt the words from me when we hiked along the South Downs Way last year. It is unique and I shall be at Leeds tonight belting out the words (as shown in this thread) as I always do. Get the lyrics up there, learn the words, learn the history, teach your kids. Have pride. Stand or Fall

THIS!

"Now is the time for marching
Now let your hearts be gay
Hark to the merry bugles
Sounding along our way
So let your voices ring my boys
And take the time from me
And I’ll sing you a song as we march along
Of Sussex by the sea

Oh Sussex, Sussex by the sea
Good old Sussex by the sea
You may tell them all we stand or fall
For Sussex by the sea"

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Sussaxon - please can you include this in your missive to the club.

Seems we have settled on "about 78% in favour". The 78% is, of course, 78% of those felt strongly enough to vote on the matter (and on NSC which can be supremely precious about such matters). With all the "don't really minds" added in then I am sure the percentage of people actually opposed to the idea is in fact tiny (< 5%?). Where they ever got "50/50" from makes you wonder?

Will they listen...?

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
"Now is the time for marching" straight into Barber's office with the results of the poll and the words up on the screen for tonight please. Oh yeah, and tell him to stop the music as before so that the climax of our great anthem can be truly belted out with no military oooompaas distracting from the sheer wall of noise as 20,000 + men and women of Sussex join in saluting our mighty club.

Phew, got a bit carried away there ..........

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
NO NO NO to the words for many reasons.
I've also been der der dering and 'for we're going up for to win the cup, for Sussex By The Sea' for 40 odd years and will never change. Those are the words that the vast majority sing.
I remember Derby play off away last season where they all sang their song with the lyrics on screen. Noisy but looked stupid.
If you're not singing now with at least 70% doing so, then putting words up wont make any difference.

Don't agree with your logic I'm afraid.

You don't want the correct words up on screen because you prefer to go "der der der" and you think it looks stupid. Fine. You can keep singing that whilst the other 20 odd thousand sing the right words. If it embarrasses you seeing the words up there, just close your eyes or look away from the big screen whilst you're humming :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here