Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you want the words to Sussex by the Sea on the big screens before kick off?

Do you want the words to Sussex by the Sea on the big screens before kick off?

• Yes

Votes: 212 76.3%
  • No

Votes: 66 23.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I think the the reaction to the tannoy system going wrong at the beginning of the season and the club's realisation that the crowd singing it loud and proud sounded great says everything we need to know.

Post the words up for a season or two until EVERYONE knows the words, we all sing the SAME version and, most importantly, all at the same TEMPO and it will sound fantastic.

Obviously it would be better if this was spontaneous and didn't need a cheesey karaoke bouncing ball over the words but lets face reality, that WILL work.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
We have that already, in the programmes at least, and you have to admit the anthem singing of 'our anthem' is pitiful.
I'd say the fact that no 2 people sing the same is even more embarrassing than words on the screen.

That is a fookin lush idea, you need to be working at the club.
I'm in, where do I sign up.

My application to join the marketing team is in the post.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Get them up on the screen, no bouncing ball. And instead of a crescendo 'Going up to win the cup', huge letters of 'you can tell them all that we Stand or Fall, for Sussex by the sea' with the sound off!!! And the whole crowd singing it. Yes please.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The 'no' campaign has to be based on the fact everything is ok as it stands, which it clearly isn't.

So if we have to have words we only have ourselves to blame.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Just been to the North West Sussex Seagulls Q&A event with Paul Barber, and asked "Are the words to Sussex by the Sea going to be displayed on the big screen before kick off?". He said that the fans' opinion on this was 50/50, so this is why they're holding off doing it.

I'm not so sure it's 50/50, So here is a straightforward poll, Do you want the words to Sussex by the Sea on the big screens before kick off?

I will give this poll 1 week, and will email the results to Paul Barber.
This thread has stayed high up the front page for two days now. A lot of Albion fans are interested in "Sussex By The Sea" and its potential to be so much better. The number of fans appreciating the value of the "stand or fall" message, and sentiment about our heritage as the people and football club of Sussex, has grown year by year in recent times. This has happened without the club doing anything to foster it (which is a massive missed opportunity and completely barmy commercially...).

The people have now spoken conclusively. Only 20% of a negatively biased sample - NSC contributors/voters are far more bothered than the average Amex attender about how this sort of stuff "looks" - have said they would prefer it not to happen.

Now is the time for marching!

(not literally - but it is the time for the club to make it happen)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
As a away fan , why would you want the words of your adopted club anthem on a big screen ? Shouldn't you , as brighton fans , know these words ?
The only reason I'd think of having it on the screen is because we have different versions of the song, and it would be nice if most people were singing 'stand or fall', rather than 'going up'.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No. But it's not that hard to learn the words.

Please let's not actually show the opposition that we don't know the words to our own anthem.

Here's a challenge to us all. At the next game, just teach the person next to you the words.
I like your challenge. Since you're against the idea (and it looks like it will go ahead if unchallenged), how about you try and get the decision postponed (a simple poll like this one), and in the meantime encourage NSC users to print the words and take then for those they sit next to. If you can do it that way, we won't need the words on the screen.

I didn't go to Cardiff or Derby, so I don't know what it was like, but I'm surprised so many seemed to like how they did it. It's difficult to picture what it looked like.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I like your challenge. Since you're against the idea (and it looks like it will go ahead if unchallenged), how about you try and get the decision postponed (a simple poll like this one), and in the meantime encourage NSC users to print the words and take then for those they sit next to. If you can do it that way, we won't need the words on the screen.

I didn't go to Cardiff or Derby, so I don't know what it was like, but I'm surprised so many seemed to like how they did it. It's difficult to picture what it looked like.
We could get the words printed on the reverse side of clackers.

Kill 2 birds with one stone.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
This thread has stayed high up the front page for two days now. A lot of Albion fans are interested in "Sussex By The Sea" and its potential to be so much better. The number of fans appreciating the value of the "stand or fall" message, and sentiment about our heritage as the people and football club of Sussex, has grown year by year in recent times. This has happened without the club doing anything to foster it (which is a massive missed opportunity and completely barmy commercially...).

The people have now spoken conclusively. Only 20% of a negatively biased sample - NSC contributors/voters are far more bothered than the average Amex attender about how this sort of stuff "looks" - have said they would prefer it not to happen.

Now is the time for marching!

(not literally - but it is the time for the club to make it happen)

Totally agree with this. Its all very well to say "people should learn the words..." but really why should they and who the f**k are these people to tell them? If the club wants the fans to sing SBTS in a robust and unified way (and who doesn't think this is desirable?) then putting the words up on the screen is a complete no-brainer.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Crucially, who are the real Brighton fans who have any influence? (apart from Tony Bloom, who I suspect is a bit of a pragmatist in personality terms and not really in tune with the more emotive feelings of the "terraces"...)

The Head of Communications (I think I have that right?), Paul Camillin is as Albion as they come - a survivor of the Gory years - fanzines, marches, demos, etc.

The Head of Marketing, Tom Gorringe - the man responsible for the 'match day experience' and of 'Albionising' the outside spaces, etc, was a Withdean season ticket holder.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
The Head of Communications (I think I have that right?), Paul Camillin is as Albion as they come - a survivor of the Gory years - fanzines, marches, demos, etc.

The Head of Marketing, Tom Gorringe - the man responsible for the 'match day experience' and of 'Albionising' the outside spaces, etc, was a Withdean season ticket holder.
That is interesting information.

Feedback from the NWSS meeting was that Paul Camillin is apparently "very" anti having the words to SBTS on the screens. I wonder what is the substance of his personal objection? He surely can't think that the current dog's dinner is preferable? Or that it doesn't really matter? If it is the "tin pot - people should know the words" argument then that is frustrating.

My guess would be that his personal objection has been influential in shaping opinion at the club, Beirne and Barber would logically defer to him on such a matter.

Does Paul Camillin have an NSC account?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Feedback from the NWSS meeting was that Paul Camillin is apparently "very" anti having the words to SBTS on the screens. I wonder what is the substance of his personal objection? He surely can't think that the current dog's dinner is preferable? Or that it doesn't really matter? If it is the "tin pot - people should know the words" argument then that is frustrating.

My guess would be that his personal objection has been influential in shaping opinion at the club, Beirne and Barber would logically defer to him on such a matter.

Insider.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Stick a question on 'Ask the Club' pointing at this thread.

http://www.northstandchat.com/forumdisplay.php?35-Ask-the-Club

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
As a away fan , why would you want the words of your adopted club anthem on a big screen ? Shouldn't you , as brighton fans , know these words ?

What set of words though? If you watch that Norman Wisdom clip you'll hear a totally different set of words from the original, and even now the younger fans sing a different version to the older fans. This is more about getting everybody to learn the CORRECT words, not any of the *******ised "While shepherds washed their socks by night" type versions that have sprung up over the years. As has been pointed out there's been a growing groundswell of opinion over the last few years (especially with the 100th anniversary of WW1) that this should be the case, and I'll support anything that can bring it about.

"You may tell them all that we stand or fall!"

EDIT: Oooh, the swear filter doesn't like the slang word for 'illegitimate'.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005

Ah... Of course, rings a bell now.

The issue has obviously been revisited several times by various people on "Ask-the-Club" to no avail (I found my own question on p.22 dated 5th November 2011).

Things have perhaps moved on from 26th August 2011, however, when Paul was able to respond to Gazwag with "I think the unanimous view within the club is that atmosphere has been outstanding at the Amex and that the five minutes immediately prior to the match has already become a ritual. Nonetheless I will pass on your suggestions".

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005

I cannot believe that Paul C. would be unaware of this thread. Presumably he doesn't look at NSC to find out about honey badgers or BensGrandad's thoughts on David Stockdale...

The OP, Sussaxon, has a plan to take the results of the poll, and presumably a flavour of the discussion, to Paul Barber. Hopefully that will result in action.

Although I would love to see it a.s.a.p. I guess a realistic timeframe, and probably strategically better for a positive impact, would be the start of next season. New start and all that...

I might just be slightly biased but I think it would be worth the club putting quite a bit of effort into making this work as well as possible. People are already being employed to do this stuff. A new/renewed position as the club of Sussex, for all the people of Sussex, and with a proud tradition understood and cherished by the club, would be commercially and competitively advantageous. The communal belting out of "Sussex By The Sea" before every game at The Amex would be symbolic of something much more significant in terms of a sense of all belonging to a common cause.

The recent "Ring of Fire" experience showed just how much difference there can be between something a bit half-baked (stick on a Johnny Cash CD) and something done really well (play a properly mixed version that suits the crowd participation).

It doesn't seem that difficult. Get the technical AV bit spot on - font sizes, images, transitions etc Trial it over the summer. Have it perfected for The Amex pre-season friendly. It might be a bit lame on that occasion, and will presumably take time to "catch on", but persevere and see where it can get to by the second or third league game.

An effective "introduction" to what is going on the big screen would help. Not Richie Reynolds telling us to be loud and proud but some appropriate people (an old soldier of the Sussex Regiment, Tony Bloom, Solly March, Chris Hughton, Winston Churchill, whoever...) saying something sensible about "Sussex By The Sea" and why we are going to start singing it properly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here