Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you want the words to Sussex by the Sea on the big screens before kick off?

Do you want the words to Sussex by the Sea on the big screens before kick off?

• Yes

Votes: 212 76.3%
  • No

Votes: 66 23.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
"Now is the time for marching" straight into Barber's office with the results of the poll and the words up on the screen for tonight please. Oh yeah, and tell him to stop the music as before so that the climax of our great anthem can be truly belted out with no military oooompaas distracting from the sheer wall of noise as 20,000 + men and women of Sussex join in saluting our mighty club.

Phew, got a bit carried away there ..........
No need to apologise. Top of my list when it comes to supporting the Albion are feelings about family, friends, communities, pride in the club and coming from Sussex.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
No need to apologise. Top of my list when it comes to supporting the Albion are feelings about family, friends, communities, pride in the club and coming from Sussex.

I'm a JCL and not originally from Sussex but it nearly made me cry :)

Get the bloody proper words on screen FFS, and fade it out as before.

Sussaxon

Mar 19, 2014
Sussex
I honestly believe with enough work, that we can all make Sussex by the Sea as great, and powerful as this...

For those who say that SBTS has too many words, may I remind you that the Welsh national anthem is sung in, what is for many, their second language!!! SBTS isn't meant to be a 'chant', it is an Anthem, and should be treated as such.

Unfortunately, what we've got at the moment, is this shambles...

Hummed along to like it's some sort of nursery rhyme! C'mon people, it can only get better!
:albion2::ascarf::albion::albion2::ascarf::albion::albion2::ascarf::albion::albion2::ascarf::albion:

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
I honestly believe with enough work, that we can all make Sussex by the Sea as great, and powerful as this...

For those who say that SBTS has too many words, may I remind you that the Welsh national anthem is sung in, what is for many, their second language!!! SBTS isn't meant to be a 'chant', it is an Anthem, and should be treated as such.

Hummed along to like it's some sort of nursery rhyme! C'mon people, it can only get better!
:albion2::ascarf::albion::albion2::ascarf::albion::albion2::ascarf::albion::albion2::ascarf::albion:

There's the evidence right there.
It's actually comical that we collectively sound so bad.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Maybe we could all dress up in military uniform for the first home game of every month? This could just be the beginning.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Sod it. OK, I give in.

Yes. Change my vote to a yes.

Bloody hell.

And don't forget the second verse after half time!

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
For those claiming SBTS has too many words... If countless hordes of bin-dipping, joy-riding Liverpool scallys can manage to remember all of these words, where's the problem for thousands of clearly superior Albion supporters?

When you walk through a storm, hold your head up high
And don’t be afraid of the dark
At the end of the storm, there’s a golden sky
And the sweet, silver song of a lark
Walk on through the wind
Walk on through the rain
Though your dreams be tossed and blown
Walk on, walk on
With hope in your heart
And you’ll never walk alone
You’ll never walk alone

Walk on, walk on
With hope in your heart
And you’ll never walk alone
You’ll never walk alone

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005

This version provides a realistic template for what it should sound like when people sing with pride and passion to the tune of Sussex By The Sea. Turn up your volume and enjoy. It is "embarrassing" that it takes a bunch of Lankys to show us how it is done but hopefully this aberration is soon to be rectified. The defining Youtube clips for "Sussex By The Sea" will be of a packed Amex belting it out...

The people responsible at the club for sorting this out can learn from the last three videos posted in this thread.

1. The Welsh sound magnificent. Setting the bar high but nothing wrong with that.

2. SBTS at The Amex IS currently a pathetic shambles.

3. The 14/20 hussars footage gives a glimpse of how good it can be. We need a recording made that achieves the same as the hussars' bandsmen. The initial fanfare and then mainly very low volume rhythm keeping in the background, so that singing can take over, but with a few bursts of music at key points to join it up. Oh, and also, why not keep the refrain of "plough and mow" in - the tune to that bit is magic.

We will also need to wean people off clapping along as that sounds crap and interferes with the singing.

All achievable given the will. Can't wait...!!

Last edited:

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Everyone near me at tonight's match, when joining in with GOSBTS sang it as And we're going up to win the cup, this is how i've always known it and can't recall the original words ever being sung en-mass by our fans (only a few singers / an opera group singing the real words and being drowned out by the version the fans know)

So will having completely different words on the screen affect people joining in, will they continue to sing the version they have always known or just not bother joining in at all?

If it works out, then great but there have been a few people wanting the original words sung at games going back to Withdean and beyond (wanted them printed in the programme,etc) but i just don't get whats the big deal with wanting to use the original words and not our version(s) that have been sung by fans for decades

Last edited:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
At a time when Canada and Australia have changed the words to their National Anthems to be gender specific step forward BHA. Come on Boys sing the full words to a song that we have never sung before the Amex that excludes women. They should not be at football anyway.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
At a time when Canada and Australia have changed the words to their National Anthems to be gender specific step forward BHA. Come on Boys sing the full words to a song that we have never sung before the Amex that excludes women. They should not be at football anyway.
Most intelligent female Albion fans won't mind joining in with the singing of our club/county anthem in its traditional form. The words and references are so obviously historic and traditional rather than a current statement of the club's equity and diversity policy.

I can't see anyone having a problem with this aspect apart from a very few loonies.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Jeez. For anyone who says we don't need the words on the screen: your argument has been absolutely and comprehensively trashed. Even if we all sing different versions of the 'stand or fall' line it can only get better.

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
I quite liked it when they stopped the SBTS music when the teams came out and let the crowd sing but they seem to have stopped that now. Why?

Feb 14, 2010
Everyone near me at tonight's match, when joining in with GOSBTS sang it as And we're going up to win the cup, this is how i've always known it and can't recall the original words ever being sung en-mass by our fans (only a few singers / an opera group singing the real words and being drowned out by the version the fans know)

So will having completely different words on the screen affect people joining in, will they continue to sing the version they have always known or just not bother joining in at all?

If it works out, then great but there have been a few people wanting the original words sung at games going back to Withdean and beyond (wanted them printed in the programme,etc) but i just don't get whats the big deal with wanting to use the original words and not our version(s) that have been sung by fans for decades

Im with you and also, why does everything have to be created. Just "let it be". Understated and natural. Last thing I would want is some pantomime like they have at Anfield with "You'll never walk alone". Its not Sussex, its not English. Its overkill American style nonsense. Let people have a chat, hum to Sussex by the Sea and sing "win the cup" a couple of times. No ramp up or anything fake. Thats my take on it. Bigger and louder is not better. There is something original and old school about understated.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here