Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you want the words to Sussex by the Sea on the big screens before kick off?

Do you want the words to Sussex by the Sea on the big screens before kick off?

• Yes

Votes: 212 76.3%
  • No

Votes: 66 23.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Couldn't Mr Barber just send a laminated sheet of the words to the 214 people who want them? Perhaps include some clackers with "We Stand and Fall" on them?

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Couldn't Mr Barber just send a laminated sheet of the words to the 214 people who want them? Perhaps include some clackers with "We Stand and Fall" on them?

or perhaps the 66 sensitive souls that don't can just shudder and close their eyes.........

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It would be a cheaper solution if the 66 who don't want them just look away from the screen when the offending words appear :lolol:

Sussaxon

Mar 19, 2014
Sussex
I have just sent Paul Barber an email just now...

Dear Mr Barber,

Last Wednesday, 18th February 2015, I attended the North West Sussex Seagulls' Q&A event, with yourself as one of the guest speakers. I posed the question to you "Will the words to Sussex by the Sea be displayed on the big screens before kick off?", the responses from yourself and Paul Camillin, was that it was down to us supporters to support the idea, and thus far you had received 50/50 feedback on the concept.

I decided therefore to set up a simple poll on North Stand Chat, "Do you want the words to Sussex by the Sea on the big screens before kick off?", Yes or No?. http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...by-the-Sea-on-the-big-screens-before-kick-off The Poll ran for 7 days.

The overall result has come back as a definitive Yes!

Votes: 280
Yes: 214 (76.43%)
No: 66 (23.57%)

This proposal therefore has the clear, and unquestionable support of the majority of fans.

My viewpoint is summed up in the post of user Chief Wiggum...
"Born and raised in Sussex, but now living overseas I am still a season tkt holder attending about 80% of home games. I am a proud son of Sussex. GOSBTS was played as the final song at my fathers funeral and it will be played at mine. My 18 yr old son learnt the words from me when we hiked along the South Downs Way last year. It is unique and I shall be at Leeds tonight belting out the words (as shown in this thread) as I always do. Get the lyrics up there, learn the words, learn the history, teach your kids. Have pride. Stand or Fall"
Post #156

Take club anthems like "You'll never Walk Alone", "I'm forever blowing Bubbles" and "Delilah", all these anthems are 'events', they uplift the home team and put fear into the opposition. Sussex by the Sea is unique to us, it is our heritage and identity . At the moment, our anthem is just hummed along to, like it's some sort of nursery rhyme. The words to the song have real, deep meaning, especially around this time; the centenary of the First World War. A song about soldiers fighting on or dying for King, Country and County; "...Stand or Fall for Sussex by the Sea". These words are powerful, and with 28,000+ men, women and children singing this stirring and moving county anthem of ours, it can only have its benefits; boosting the team's spirits and pushing them to victory. The supporters have spoke, Now is the time to put these emotive words on the big screen, now is the time for Marching!

Yours sincerely,

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Dear Mr Barber,

Last Wednesday, 18th February 2015, I attended the North West Sussex Seagulls' Q&A event, with yourself as one of the guest speakers. I posed the question to you "Will the words to Sussex by the Sea be displayed on the big screens before kick off?", the responses from yourself and Paul Camillin, was that it was down to us supporters to support the idea, and thus far you had received 50/50 feedback on the concept.

I decided therefore to set up a simple poll on North Stand Chat, "Do you want the words to Sussex by the Sea on the big screens before kick off?", Yes or No?. http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...by-the-Sea-on-the-big-screens-before-kick-off The Poll ran for 7 days.

The overall result has come back as a definitive Yes!

Votes: 280
Yes: 214 (76.43%)
No: 66 (23.57%)

This proposal therefore has the clear, and unquestionable support of the majority of fans.

My viewpoint is summed up in the post of user Chief Wiggum...
"Born and raised in Sussex, but now living overseas I am still a season tkt holder attending about 80% of home games. I am a proud son of Sussex. GOSBTS was played as the final song at my fathers funeral and it will be played at mine. My 18 yr old son learnt the words from me when we hiked along the South Downs Way last year. It is unique and I shall be at Leeds tonight belting out the words (as shown in this thread) as I always do. Get the lyrics up there, learn the words, learn the history, teach your kids. Have pride. Stand or Fall"
Post #156

Take club anthems like "You'll never Walk Alone", "I'm forever blowing Bubbles" and "Delilah", all these anthems are 'events', they uplift the home team and put fear into the opposition. Sussex by the Sea is unique to us, it is our heritage and identity . At the moment, our anthem is just hummed along to, like it's some sort of nursery rhyme. The words to the song have real, deep meaning, especially around this time; the centenary of the First World War. A song about soldiers fighting on or dying for King, Country and County; "...Stand or Fall for Sussex by the Sea". These words are powerful, and with 28,000+ men, women and children singing this stirring and moving county anthem of ours, it can only have its benefits; boosting the team's spirits and pushing them to victory. The supporters have spoke, Now is the time to put these emotive words on the big screen, now is the time for Marching!

Yours sincerely,

Very good closing sentence. I almost shed a tear.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Excellent work Sussaxon, well done!

Sussaxon

Mar 19, 2014
Sussex
Paul Barber's response

I have just received an email off of Paul, unfortunately I can't copy and paste it as the club have rules about sharing information in emails, but his main points are:

* He's going to recommend to the executive team giving it a go, and monitor fans reception.
* The poll had 280 voters, which is less than 1% of the season ticket holder base. But he agreed it was very positive none the less.
* NSC is only one of a lot of different sources where supporter voice their opinion, and his email inbox usually has mixed views on the concept.
* Anthems like YNWA and Bubbles are good examples, but those clubs do not display the words.

I'm extremely pleased that he's going to recommend this a go, I like many, don't think it should or needs to be a permanent fixture. I know the poll was a relatively small sample, but it's all I could do in my own personal control, I would have loved to have been able to ask the opinion of every single supporter of Brighton & Hove Albion. I think that people are more likely to email Barber when they have issue with something, rather than an email of support. And, as I've stated before songs like YNWA and Bubbles all have the singing of the words over the top of the music, so have been easily picked up by those fan bases.

I think on the whole, extremely positive! I will now email these points back to Paul Barber, and I really do hope the club now implement this idea.

Great Stuff! :thumbsup:

Sussaxon

Mar 19, 2014
Sussex
My response

I have just received an email off of Paul, unfortunately I can't copy and paste it as the club have rules about sharing information in emails, but his main points are:

* He's going to recommend to the executive team giving it a go, and monitor fans reception.
* The poll had 280 voters, which is less than 1% of the season ticket holder base. But he agreed it was very positive none the less.
* NSC is only one of a lot of different sources where supporter voice their opinion, and his email inbox usually has mixed views on the concept.
* Anthems like YNWA and Bubbles are good examples, but those clubs do not display the words.

I'm extremely pleased that he's going to recommend this a go, I like many, don't think it should or needs to be a permanent fixture. I know the poll was a relatively small sample, but it's all I could do in my own personal control, I would have loved to have been able to ask the opinion of every single supporter of Brighton & Hove Albion. I think that people are more likely to email Barber when they have issue with something, rather than an email of support. And, as I've stated before songs like YNWA and Bubbles all have the singing of the words over the top of the music, so have been easily picked up by those fan bases.

I think on the whole, extremely positive! I will now email these points back to Paul Barber, and I really do hope the club now implement this idea.

Great Stuff! :thumbsup:

Hi Paul,

Thank you very much for your quick response. I am, and I'm sure so are others, very grateful that you are going to put forward these recommendations to your executive team. I'm really pleased that I support a club where the club listen to the views of the fan base and respond, and I would like to thank you for that.

I strongly believe the fundamental reason that clubs like Liverpool and West Ham United don't display the words to 'You'll never Walk Alone' and 'I'm forever blowing Bubbles' respectively, is that both these songs have the words sang over the top on the pieces of music used. Sussex by the Sea doesn't have this luxury and is where I draw the difference between our anthem and those I have just stated, and hence why I think the words should be displayed.

From the comments I received on the thread on North Stand Chat although many agree with the idea, it is fairly clear people are in favour of different version of the words to appear on the big screens, if the club do indeed take up the idea. I have therefore set up another seven day poll, http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...e-words-do-you-want-to-see-on-the-big-screens, asking "Sussex by the Sea: Which version of the words do you want to see on the big screens?". I'm sure yourself and the rest of the club will be very interested in these results as well. I appreciate that in my last poll the electorate was less than 1% of the season ticket base, but I do believe it is an extremely good indicator of the opinion of supporters without physically asking every single supporter of Brighton and Hove Albion.

Thanks once again for your positive reply.

Yours Sincerely,

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
... I appreciate that in my last poll the electorate was less than 1% of the season ticket base, but I do believe it is an extremely good indicator of the opinion of supporters without physically asking every single supporter of Brighton and Hove Albion...

Indeed.... YouGov, Lord Ashcroft, etc... use samples of 1000-2500 to represent the whole UK voting population of >45 million!

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
..... I appreciate that in my last poll the electorate was less than 1% of the season ticket base, but I do believe it is an extremely good indicator of the opinion of supporters without physically asking every single supporter of Brighton and Hove Albion.
But of course, if the club DID want the opinion of every single season ticket holder of Brighton & Hove Albion, they could simply email a simple tick-box survey to all the 20,000-plus names on the club's database... It would make a change from receiving endless opportunities to buy Valentine's Day dinners and deeply unsuitable sportswear.

palace4861

May 15, 2014
How sad that you have to lobby fans to try and create a bit of atmosphere before the start of the game . If your fans don't know the words then these people must be plastics . When at Selhurst Glad all Over is belted out by everyone and no words needed on a big screen .COYP

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
How sad that you have to lobby fans to try and create a bit of atmosphere before the start of the game . If your fans don't know the words then these people must be plastics . When at Selhurst Glad all Over is belted out by everyone and no words needed on a big screen .COYP
Trololo... The Full Original Version.: http://youtu.be/sTSA_sWGM44

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

You're singing along to a 60s pop group singing a very, very basic song.

Sussex By The Sea is over 100 years old, and is an instrumental.

But yes, obviously you are uberfans, and we should know our place. We are all plastic. I wish we could be like you.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

or perhaps the 66 sensitive souls that don't can just shudder and close their eyes.........

It would be a cheaper solution if the 66 who don't want them just look away from the screen when the offending words appear :lolol:

Couldn't those who want to sing the words (whichever version) just learn them by themself rather than need to be prompted on the screen, (we've had them on things handed out over the years and i think even in the programme, yet only a handfall (if that) sing the 'proper' words.

Why do you think that having a version of the words (not necessarily the most popularly sung version by our fans) will make them either sing the version you want them to sing or stop them singing the version(s) they have always sung, most of which have more to do with our club rather than the singing of the 'original' words

Dear Mr Barber,
..................... Take club anthems like "You'll never Walk Alone", "I'm forever blowing Bubbles" and "Delilah", all these anthems are 'events', they uplift the home team and put fear into the opposition. Sussex by the Sea is unique to us, it is our heritage and identity . At the moment, our anthem is just hummed along to, like it's some sort of nursery rhyme. The words to the song have real, deep meaning, especially around this time; the centenary of the First World War. A song about soldiers fighting on or dying for King, Country and County; "...Stand or Fall for Sussex by the Sea". These words are powerful, and with 28,000+ men, women and children singing this stirring and moving county anthem of ours, it can only have its benefits; boosting the team's spirits and pushing them to victory. The supporters have spoke, Now is the time to put these emotive words on the big screen, now is the time for Marching!
Yours sincerely,

These songs that are used by other clubs (& even Palace's Glad all over) only have 1 version and not multiple lyrics but GOSBTS does as the words sung by fans have altered over the years.

If the stand or fall version of the words to GOSBTS are part of our heritage, why do so few fans sing them & far more hum the first bit and then sing and we're going up to win the cup for Sussex by the Sea? - Do we need the words on the screen for that?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here