Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Same Sh*t, Different Day

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I came away OK with the draw in the end. Shame it wasn't three, but our patchy quality first eleven was up against a club who've had 5 PL transfer windows to spend huge sums on fees and wages to give a far more talented and pacey 11 than ours. Fact.

Loads of positives:

Schelotto was great.
Murray back in the goals and played well.
Stephens, Gross, Izquierdo, Suttner, Knockaert played well.
A far more positive attacking performance.
CH would've had learned so much today, e.g. Schelotto and Izquierdo must start for us now.

But the icing on the cake, if you read PB's programme notes, it's clear the club will be investing in new players in this window.

boik

Do it on your own. Don't point to people on TV notorious for not knowing much about smaller teams - point to the more attacking game we played, and the chances created - Bournemouth were throwing themselves in the way of our shots, we could have had a hatful today! That's an improvement on recent games where we have had a lot of possession but nothing in the final third. We actually looked dangerous. The improved performances of Izquierdo and Schelotto are positives to embrace. Point to the effort put in by players who were clearly dead on their feet.

Righto. Thanks for telling me.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Its interesting that everyone keeps going on about a striker but we do have an issue defending which is being ignored. We play too deep and invite too much attacking in areas where it hurts. We do need to change tactics (occasionally) and we also need to get the ball forward quicker to clear our lines. When we did that today we looked like punishing them.

The killer for me though was the handling of the subs, Howe got his right, Chris did not.

We were good today against a Bournemouth team who have some very good players and wanted to win. We were n't crap but we need to be able to adopt to conditions and situations a lot better than we have.

We have 4 decent centre halves , not sure why we don't play 3 at the back or at least have it as an option. Bournemouth did that and could commit to more attacking without looking too exposed..

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Its interesting that everyone keeps going on about a striker but we do have an issue defending which is being ignored. We play too deep and invite too much attacking in areas where it hurts. We do need to change tactics (occasionally) and we also need to get the ball forward quicker to clear our lines. When we did that today we looked like punishing them.

But how much of that defending problem is a result of a lack of reliable outlet? If opponents don't have to worry about our attack, they can push up higher, putting our defence under more pressure, etc?

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
You see, now, I don't struggle to understand, purely because I am not a pro coach or manager, and they tend to know better than me. They watch these players day in and day out and have their tactics totally sorted. I just sit there and watch, and support. So, I don't question it, maybe I'm wrong and maybe I should be Brighton manager. One thing is for sure, there are a hell of a lot of managers on NSC and I can't wait for you to take on the hot seat. You will get my full backing with your knowledge.

Bmuff made three changes during match ,Everton make 7 changes before game with big sam saying his players have tired legs all of the players on bench should b fit and ready to go all he said was struggle to understand the thinking behind lack of subs which most of us would agree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

The killer for me though was the handling of the subs, Howe got his right, Chris did not.

We were good today against a Bournemouth team who have some very good players and wanted to win. We were n't crap but we need to be able to adopt to conditions and situations a lot better than we have.

We have 4 decent centre halves , not sure why we don't play 3 at the back or at least have it as an option. Bournemouth did that and could commit to more attacking without looking too exposed..

We need to give away far fewer corners and dangerous freekicks.

I remember an article about Liverpool conceding stacks of goals from set pieces against the usual suspects of WBA etc, and how they solved much of this by simply vastly cutting the numbers of corners against.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Hughtons negative tactics will send us down.

Talking out of your ass.

You think we could play exciting stuff with Murray and Hemed up front....

Murray was completely flattened for their equaliser, think it’s reasonable to assume the ref was going to stop play and bring medical staff on...

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
We need to give away far fewer corners and dangerous freekicks.

I remember an article about Liverpool conceding stacks of goals from set pieces against the usual suspects of WBA etc, and how they solved much of this by simply vastly cutting the numbers of corners against.

Easily said, how do we introduce this tactic?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
It was a good game and we played okay but it’s not the result we needed. I’m starting to think we’re going down. The numbers just don’t add up. We still need 15 points, so a minimum of four wins, but we only have Swansea, Huddersfield and West Ham to play at home who you think we could beat. We’ve only won three out of 11 at home this season so how likely are we to win those three? There is virtually no chance sadly. Chances are we will win one, two if we’re very lucky. So this means we are going to need to win at least a couple of games either away from home or against the big six. Again, I’m struggling to see it. Six home draws against the also rans shows we just aren’t quite good enough.

It’s such a shame because most of our team is decent but the chronic lack of quality in attack is going to cost us. It doesn’t help that we cant defend corners or clear the ball effectively either, both issues that a League One team would be disappointed with. Ultimately Hughton has done brilliantly to squeeze 23 points out of a squad that contains no PL quality attackers and he deserves great credit for that, but he’s been badly let down by the board. They need to support him with signings now and hope it somehow isn’t too late, but I fear it is.

Happy new year to you too.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Talking out of your ass.

You think we could play exciting stuff with Murray and Hemed up front....

Murray was completely flattened for their equaliser, think it’s reasonable to assume the ref was going to stop play and bring medical staff on...

He gets a bite every time.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
It was a good game and we played okay but it’s not the result we needed. I’m starting to think we’re going down. The numbers just don’t add up. We still need 15 points, so a minimum of four wins, but we only have Swansea, Huddersfield and West Ham to play at home who you think we could beat. We’ve only won three out of 11 at home this season so how likely are we to win those three? There is virtually no chance sadly. Chances are we will win one, two if we’re very lucky. So this means we are going to need to win at least a couple of games either away from home or against the big six. Again, I’m struggling to see it. Six home draws against the also rans shows we just aren’t quite good enough.
Agree it is looking tough but I don't think we will go down.

37, 36 or even 35 points will be enough and whatever total is needed we will just make it.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost

It’s such a shame because most of our team is decent but the chronic lack of quality in attack is going to cost us. It doesn’t help that we cant defend corners or clear the ball effectively either, both issues that a League One team would be disappointed with. Ultimately Hughton has done brilliantly to squeeze 23 points out of a squad that contains no PL quality attackers and he deserves great credit for that, but he’s been badly let down by the board. They need to support him with signings now and hope it somehow isn’t too late, but I fear it is.

Your assessment and conclusion is based on the assumption we don't sign any decent strikers in January.

And let down by the board? Do behave.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

'Played OK' , 'Virtually no chance', 'Badly let down by the board' ... Wow. Talk about glass half empty (as well as talking absolute shyte)

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004

If we play like we did today then there’s no reason why we can’t go to Southampton and West Brom this month and win both.
Both teams are going through a poor run and West Brom may lose Evans soon, if you believe news reports.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
But the icing on the cake, if you read PB's programme notes, it's clear the club will be investing in new players in this window.

Just read them for third time and failing to see where he says that. “Further investment in,our playing squad is high on our agenda” is about as close as he gets, but then again a striker was ‘high on the agenda’ last summer. Lots of comment about bollocks rumours just so we know to expect a month of sitting on our hands and the possibility of zip at the end.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I enjoyed that game. Both teams played well, although I am disappointed we didn't win it.

I am sick of our fans calling us shit every time we don't get three points. We aren't shit!

We aren't getting relegated either.

I thought our attacking play was superb today and noticeable how many players bombing forwards in attack. We have also played a much more pressing game in recent weeks which is seeing us have a lot more of the ball

Whilst results have not always given us what performances have deserved we are improving as a side at this level

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here