Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Burnley preparing another bid for Stephens (but probably bollox Twitter rumour)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
There would be a lot caught out by it! Also there would be some saying we should take it. I look forward to the rumour!

That'll be on Twitter in a few seconds via someone else and the cycle will complete itself without you even needing to bother.

Haha very true. You know what I can't bring myself to do it because it's not fair to panic our own fans on first reading of a tweet. But of course, any of us could. Silly isn't it :lol:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Shall I do a test now and post a rumour that I've heard Dunk is going to erm Everton for £15mil and see how long it takes for someone to start a thread?
I am so tempted to start a thread right now:

Everton bid £15 for Dunk
Dunk is going to erm Everton for £15mil
But I won't be that guy.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I am pleased that Hughton doesn't under-rate Dale Stephens like some of our fans do.

The first sign that he may not be our player anymore and people turn, always the way. Takes a season for them to get over it.

We had to suffer through an entire season of Dunk criticism under similar circumstances... lest we not forget the caller on BBC Sussex who rang up every home game and announced with aplomb that the reason that we were not good enough is Lewis Dunk :facepalm:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I guess it possibly does all come down to his personal choice. IF he wants to move north then he will go in the summer. If his gol is PL football then he can stay here and get it. If he is after money it is less easy to quantify i.e. will Brighton pay more than Burnley.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I might be tempted to sell at that price and bring either cairney or hourihane in to replace him

We have absolutely zero chance of getting Cairney. Premier clubs are after him.
Burnley don't even need Stephens now they've got thug features back.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I think Stephens point of view may be different with the Premier League in touching distance anyhow.

On top of that if we sell him and then blow up then everyone would point the finger at the sale of Stephens. It's a really tough balancing act. He is the first name on the team sheet when he is fit and in the right frame of mind. He is not the type of player who catches my eye too often but he zips the all around brilliantly when he is on his game, so for me you just have to take the chance and hold on to him with only half a season left to go to try and realise the dreams of a whole city. Not to mention the people involved at the club

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Shall I do a test now and post a rumour that I've heard Dunk is going to erm Everton for £15mil and see how long it takes for someone to start a thread?

Guaranteed there will be another big money bid for Dunk. I have no doubt about that. I don't think it will be Everton but Dunk's performances have been so good this season that there will definitely be offers again but he is tied to such a long contract we are on solid ground with him I think

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I HERD that he's OFF if Lampard SINGS :moo:

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
FWIW, I would go back to Burnley and say, OK, but the price is £10 million, take it or leave it.........

.....with two NON-NEGOTIABLE conditions:

1). The full price, up front, now;
2). We have him back on loan for the rest of the season.

That should do.........

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
It would make zero sense to refuse all the bids we did for Stephens in August in the hope he'd get us to the PL and sell him now when we're even closer to that being a reality. Pointless excercise.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Why would we take £8 million for Stephens now if we turned that price down in the summer? Contract expiring or not.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Guaranteed there will be another big money bid for Dunk. I have no doubt about that. I don't think it will be Everton but Dunk's performances have been so good this season that there will definitely be offers again but he is tied to such a long contract we are on solid ground with him I think

I don't think Dunk will be a Brighton player next season whether we get promoted or not. I really think he has to move to get a chance of getting into the England set up and obviously a big pay day for him to whatever reasonably top club wants his services. But it will take a huge offer that's for sure.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
I don't think Dunk will be a Brighton player next season whether we get promoted or not. I really think he has to move to get a chance of getting into the England set up and obviously a big pay day for him to whatever reasonably top club wants his services. But it will take a huge offer that's for sure.

If we go up, why not stay with us?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
It wasn't taken in the summer because the bid was too near the closing of the transfer window according to Bloom.

But we still wouldn't take an identical bid. As I said, contract expiring or not. He will stay and see out the season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here