Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dale stephens

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
My gut feeling is that Stephens wants out from the Albion (for whatever reason) so I will be very pleasantly surprised if this long drawn out saga is resolved with him staying here. No breath holding going on here though.

goldstone rocks

Feb 25, 2009
The question is if you were a pro footballer and were offered @x4 your current salary to play for an almost exactly current mid table Premier League team- would you take it?
Even if we go up do you think we could match a £30-40k per week salary for a player who has never played at the highest level of English football?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Has nobody linked the Argus article from today saying Stephens is going nowhere in Jan? Thought it was quite important albeit reiterating what we were already told...

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
My gut feeling is that Stephens wants out from the Albion (for whatever reason) so I will be very pleasantly surprised if this long drawn out saga is resolved with him staying here. No breath holding going on here though.

I think he just wants Premier League football. I don't think he specifically wants out of Albion, but if we don't go up he will leave the club to go to a Premier League club. If we do go up, I am confident he will stay but could be completely wrong.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Dean Marney ruled out long term with ACL injury for Burnley.

They might come back big for Stephens now.

They won't bid big. They might bid but it would take an astronomical amount for us to even consider it given our league position and why would a team throw that sort of money at a player when they can possibly have him for free in the summer? There is massive distance between his potential value to us over the next six months and what they would pay. Just look at our record with and without Stephens in the team (one win in five without him from memory). Why would Tony Bloom risk it even if we could get a replacement?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Have the feeling that Stephens made his mind up long ago and will be gone in the Summer. He will be a big loss and we will have to spend big to replace him with a like for like.

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
I'm getting sick of all these silly theories. I suspect as soon as promotion is confirmed he'll sign a new contract.

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
They won't bid big. They might bid but it would take an astronomical amount for us to even consider it given our league position and why would a team throw that sort of money at a player when they can possibly have him for free in the summer? There is massive distance between his potential value to us over the next six months and what they would pay. Just look at our record with and without Stephens in the team (one win in five without him from memory). Why would Tony Bloom risk it even if we could get a replacement?

I agree with you, i've said exactly what you said in previous posts on this thread, wasn't saying we would sell just stating they have now got an even thinner midfield so might try for him.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
The more of these transfer 'sagas' the more I think most of them are just looking to get a new contract, as opposed to wanting to leave. There was a video on the BBC the other day when Rooney 'nearly left' Manchester United. No he didn't – he just wanted more money and I wouldn't be surprised if Fergie made a few quid out of the fiasco. And he's just one of loads – one of whom might be Dale (I'm not sure I buy into this whole 'I want to move up north' business. When someone shows a bit of interest, they go back to the club and effectively say "Do you think I'm worth it?". The players – to an extent – have all the power in dictating what happens.

But we'll see. IF the Albion are promoted, I've no doubt there will be A LOT of improved contracts being announced – let's hope Dale signs the one he's offered...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Noise I've heard from an impeccable source (a BHA first team player) is that Dale will be off at the end of the season, regardless of what division we're in. I've never spread fake gossip on here previously and would have no reason to do so.

Last edited:

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Noise I've heard from an impeccable source (a BHA first team player) is that Dale will be off at the end of the season, regardless of what division we're in.

I assume this is more about personal reasons then as opposed to the money or the caliber of football. If that's the case then I have no complaints. To lose such a talisman will suck but we'll carry on and he will be happy going wherever he goes.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Noise I've heard from an impeccable source (a BHA first team player) is that Dale will be off at the end of the season, regardless of what division we're in.
Not that bothered if we go up. We'll need to bring in 1-2 central midfielders anyway.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
The more of these transfer 'sagas' the more I think most of them are just looking to get a new contract, as opposed to wanting to leave. There was a video on the BBC the other day when Rooney 'nearly left' Manchester United. No he didn't – he just wanted more money and I wouldn't be surprised if Fergie made a few quid out of the fiasco. And he's just one of loads – one of whom might be Dale (I'm not sure I buy into this whole 'I want to move up north' business. When someone shows a bit of interest, they go back to the club and effectively say "Do you think I'm worth it?". The players – to an extent – have all the power in dictating what happens.

But we'll see. IF the Albion are promoted, I've no doubt there will be A LOT of improved contracts being announced – let's hope Dale signs the one he's offered...

I have on very good authority that Dale doesn't care about going up North or any of that malarky. dale wants to play in the Premier League and doesn't particularly care who with. He has enough confidence to believe in himself to be able to perform on any stage and test himself.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Noise I've heard from an impeccable source (a BHA first team player) is that Dale will be off at the end of the season, regardless of what division we're in. I've never spread fake gossip on here previously and would have no reason to do so.

A first team player has told you he'll be off at the end of the season? I'm sure you can appreciate that's somewhat difficult to believe, especially since I've met a couple of them, if I were to ask a question like this i'm certain of what answer I would get.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
A first team player has told you he'll be off at the end of the season? I'm sure you can appreciate that's somewhat difficult to believe, especially since I've met a couple of them, if I were to ask a question like this i'm certain of what answer I would get.

Unless it was DALE himself :lol:

I know what you mean – even if it is from the horse's mouth, I'd struggle to actually believe it 100%. We've seen enough rubbish spoken by players, managers and others who then go and do the opposite of what they've already said.

He might go, he might not. We don't know, but we'll get over it and forget about it when it DOES happen...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

I have zero reason to lie, I joined 9 years ago and have never attempted to make up transfer gossip on here before.

You don't have to trust me, I'm just passing on what I've been told. Doesn't even mean it's definitely what will happen, people are changeable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here