Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dale stephens

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Noise I've heard from an impeccable source (a BHA first team player) is that Dale will be off at the end of the season, regardless of what division we're in.
That's very disappointing. Glad he's being professional and helping the team this season though.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I have zero reason to lie, I joined 9 years ago and have never attempted to make up transfer gossip on here before.

You don't have to trust me, I'm just passing on what I've been told. Doesn't even mean it's definitely what will happen, people are changeable.

Most murderers are first timers:wink:

Fair enough, extremely disappointing if so.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Noise I've heard from an impeccable source (a BHA first team player) is that Dale will be off at the end of the season, regardless of what division we're in. I've never spread fake gossip on here previously and would have no reason to do so.

Have noted this for future reference

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Noise I've heard from an impeccable source (a BHA first team player) is that Dale will be off at the end of the season, regardless of what division we're in. I've never spread fake gossip on here previously and would have no reason to do so.

You heard this from the player personally?

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Hasn't he already said he's leaving/seeing out his contract? I don't understand why so many people are assuming he'll change his mind just because we get promoted (maybe).

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Most murderers are first timers:wink:

Fair enough, extremely disappointing if so.

Disappointing in that he won't be around any more yes, but I would have no beef with him at all if he were to seek a different challenge next season. He has after all, been with us for a few years now, and given his all in successive promotion bids.

Indeed I would expect many players to leave if we do fall short again this season, and we may need to rebuild with pretty much a new squad..

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Hasn't he already said he's leaving/seeing out his contract? I don't understand why so many people are assuming he'll change his mind just because we get promoted (maybe).

As I understand it, he isn't closing his mind to anything, just wants to wait until the end of the season before coming to any decisions. I think that's fair enough. Dale Stephens like all professional footballers, is an employee, not a fan.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I'm getting sick of all these silly theories. I suspect as soon as promotion is confirmed he'll sign a new contract.

I wouldn't be so sure. The argument is so polarised on here when I suspect the truth as with most things is somewhere in the middle.

Dale Stephens is likely pissed off that the club have stood in his way of playing in the Premier League and earning significantly more money. However, Dale Stephens is a professional and has knuckled down and fulfilled his commitment to the club. I'd imagine that come free agent time, with, I suspect, myriad options available to him he might have a bit of resentment that the club acted the way that they did.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wouldn't be so sure. The argument is so polarised on here when I suspect the truth as with most things is somewhere in the middle.

Dale Stephens is likely pissed off that the club have stood in his way of playing in the Premier League and earning significantly more money. However, Dale Stephens is a professional and has knuckled down and fulfilled his commitment to the club. I'd imagine that come free agent time, with, I suspect, myriad options available to him he might have a bit of resentment that the club acted the way that they did.
Let's not get too altruistic here.

Any kind of full on strop or drop in form by Dale would take money straight out of his pocket.

The club has forced him to play a long game and bet on himself to get his final big payday contract.
A shrewd move.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Let's not get too altruistic here.

Any kind of full on strop or drop in form by Dale would take money straight out of his pocket.

The club has forced him to play a long game and bet on himself to get his final big payday contract.
A shrewd move.
I too think the club is right in the way that they've handled this.

But I think it's a little simplistic to, as many people seem to, think that if we go up he signs. He'll have plenty of options I'd imagine.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I too think the club is right in the way that they've handled this.

But I think it's a little simplistic to, as many people seem to, think that if we go up he signs. He'll have plenty of options I'd imagine.
I think 'plenty' is pushing it somewhat.

As said the other day, there's a large amount of contributing factors that generated DS' summer.

- He's 27, a 3 year deal takes him through his prime.
- Dale abilities has him caught in 'yo-yo' club limbo - the mini league of 10 to 15 Prem and Champ clubs.
- He was in bed with a miserly penny pinching club who didn't want him as much as the 2 midfielder they bought.
- The Brighton owner is the smartest (and wealthiest) man in the room.

Dale Stephens will expect to be playing Premier League football next season.
So already he's pretty much halved the total number of clubs available to him.

Looking as if the current Premier League is how it ends, suddenly his choices are only:-

The 3 promoted teams.
Swansea
Boro
Burnley.

With an outside chance of Watford and rank outsiders Leicester.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Have noted this for future reference

With all due respect Spence, he has followed it up with 'doesn't mean it's def going to happen'. You do like a bold statement yourself chap - still think we have 'zero chance' of finishing above Newcastle? ;)

(And no that's not me starting an argument hence the ;) so pls don't take it as such - just pointing out...)

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I think 'plenty' is pushing it somewhat.

As said the other day, there's a large amount of contributing factors that generated DS' summer.

- He's 27, a 3 year deal takes him through his prime.
- Dale abilities has him caught in 'yo-yo' club limbo - the mini league of 10 to 15 Prem and Champ clubs.
- He was in bed with a miserly penny pinching club who didn't want him as much as the 2 midfielder they bought.
- The Brighton owner is the smartest (and wealthiest) man in the room.

Dale Stephens will expect to be playing Premier League football next season.
So already he's pretty much halved the total number of clubs available to him.

Looking as if the current Premier League is how it ends, suddenly his choices are only:-

The 3 promoted teams.
Swansea
Boro
Burnley.

With an outside chance of Watford and rank outsiders Leicester.

Thought the three promoted teams were 'Boro, Burnley, and Hull. Though Swansea would be a potential taker for DS, I suppose.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thought the three promoted teams were 'Boro, Burnley, and Hull. Though Swansea would be a potential taker for DS, I suppose.
No I mean going forward, this summers 3 promoted teams.
Although as Newcastle would be an unlikely move, I guess I'm suggesting DS' options are even more limited.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here