Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dale stephens

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
May have a release clause if we don't go up I suppose, but at least albion would get a fee.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
We could give him a signing on bonus now instead
Or he could get a bonus from us if sold, that would make up for the lack of signing on bonus.

Either way, problem solved.

First point - yes. Second point - that's pie in the sky stuff surely...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Second point - that's pie in the sky stuff surely...
Why? Normally players get some loyalty bonus when sold, which they miss out on if they hand in a transfer request. We could just make such a bonus decent. We get money for selling him, he gets a bonus, he also gets security in case he's injured.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Why? Normally players get some loyalty bonus when sold, which they miss out on if they hand in a transfer request. We could just make such a bonus decent. We get money for selling him, he gets a bonus, he also gets security in case he's injured.

Ah I'd forgotten that loyalty bonus thing actually. Never knew that existed until there was talk of it once on here tbf and I'd probably forgotten. Stephens really should have signed a new better deal a year ago and just concentrated on playing for a year. All this manufacturing moves is ****. Plus you can still be sold if under contract. I find this part of the game and player power all a bit distasteful...

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
May have a release clause if we don't go up I suppose, but at least albion would get a fee.

Indeed. Stephens wants to play in the Premier League next season, any potential contract would need to allow that to happen otherwise he'd never sign it. We can't deny the man his dream - I just hope he is playing in the PL in our stripes.

Oh - and if this is true, I expect it to be announced Friday to add to the match build up and enthuse fans.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Ah I'd forgotten that loyalty bonus thing actually. Never knew that existed until there was talk of it once on here tbf and I'd probably forgotten.
I barely know anything about players contracts, but I guess they can agree pretty much anything.
Stephens really should have signed a new better deal a year ago and just concentrated on playing for a year. All this manufacturing moves is ****. Plus you can still be sold if under contract. I find this part of the game and player power all a bit distasteful...
I don't mind players seeing out their contracts so they can then get a better deal, the only thing I'd object to is them refusing to play. Clubs will want to extend contracts as players are valuable assets, but I can totally understand a player not wanting to be treated like a possession.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I barely know anything about players contracts, but I guess they can agree pretty much anything.
I don't mind players seeing out their contracts so they can then get a better deal, the only thing I'd object to is them refusing to play. Clubs will want to extend contracts as players are valuable assets, but I can totally understand a player not wanting to be treated like a possession.

Doesn't the place where you work think that they own your soul ?
Seems like this is the case at most places these days.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Thats the risk out of contract players take in the final few months. I can't see him doing that even if it's a years extension - he then won't get a signing on bonus if he went etc...?

There could be a signing bonus in a new contract we offer him, additionally if he gets sold in the future without handing in a transfer request he is entitled to 5% of the transfer fee.

Edit - already covered above.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Stephens signed a contract to be with us until the end of this season and his on and off field actions so far in this window suggests he will be seeing that out without any impact to his on pitch performances. If he stays until the end of the season, helps us go up and leaves so be it. Yes would have been nice to get a fee but technically he has fulfilled the commitment he originally signed with the club

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
hearing he will only sign if we get promoted
Yet just a week ago:
im hearing from a source that he will sign a new contract

and
hearing that there is a player incoming possibly from a spanish team, dunno who though, being held up as brighton want to pay in pounds and spanish team want it in euros
You need to either
a) stop listening to the shit you're hearing
or
b) stop talking shit
or
c) both a and b.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
If he were to sign a new deal now then I would bet my left bollock that there would be a clause that we would have to accept a reasonable bid for him from a Prem side if we did not gain promotion this season.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Am I missing something?

He's on record as stating he wants PL football. If he signs a contract with us, no matter what reasonable clauses are inserted or agreements are made, he would then become subject to our valuation. Which for Dale means uncertainty whether clubs will value him at that.

Unless we stick in a minimum release that is well below our estimation he won't sign a contract. I honestly think if we offered him a PL wage now he still wouldn't sign, the man wants to play in the PL.

With that said, I would expect him to sign quite promptly should we be promoted.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
With that said, I would expect him to sign quite promptly should we be promoted.
With that in mind, if I were the club and because I'm a vindictive grudge carrying little shite (that would be my job description should unkie Tone want to employ me) DS' Premier League contract would only be available for a week after promotion.
If he's not signed by then he can fook off.

I totally respect DS for the choices he's made, I think we all would do the same.
But he's had 18 months of 'thinking' time, there's no way I'd allow him more time to look elsewhere.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
With that in mind, if I were the club and because I'm a vindictive grudge carrying little shite (that would be my job description should unkie Tone want to employ me) DS' Premier League contract would only be available for a week after promotion.
If he's not signed by then he can fook off.

I totally respect DS for the choices he's made, I think we all would do the same.
But he's had 18 months of 'thinking' time, there's no way I'd allow him more time to look elsewhere.

We'd all do the same?! There are thousands of footballers every year who DON'T do the same - let alone us. I think it's a bit greedy and selfish personally. Just my opinion. Footballers will often sign (no doubt improved) contracts at a club and it's not that common that players who are good let their contracts completely run down. Maybe I'm harsher than you then...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here