Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
anyone having regrets breaking away from Europe and following America?

We seem to be 1 step behind them and their politics is currently facism and mob rule

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Now where on earth would you get an idea like that

Brexit: DUP should make NI government ‘unworkable’ until Irish Sea border removed, says loyalist activist

Jamie Bryson, the editor of Unionist Voice, claims a move by the DUP to frustrate the Stormont executive would be the party’s “most powerful weapon” in opposing the Northern Ireland protocol.

While the UK has left the European Union, NI remains in the bloc's single market for goods and will continue applying EU customs rules on trade. They believe the Brexit deal has cut NI adrift from the rest of the UK, pushing Belfast further away from London, paving the way for an economic united Ireland.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/brexit-irish-sea-border-dup-ni-government-b1783526.html

Now surely no proper Unionist would have been stupid enough to vote for a Border in the Irish sea, would they ???

I almost feel sorry for the DUP, victims of their own stupidity.

Sadly, its going to be a common theme in years ahead for Brexit voters, persuaded to act against their own interests

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
You only have to look over in America how populist nationalism and misguided patriotism can be so dangerous. All of us believe in what is right for the UK, no one is against the UK but some of us are against the grifters and charlatans that lead the national debate and send our country down a dangerous path. Some of us reject the nationaliist agenda and don't wish to follow the US
You only have to look over to America to see extremists trying to thwart the Democratic will of the majority and failing.. sounds familiar. Glad they failed there and you lot failed here!

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
You only have to look over to America to see extremists trying to thwart the Democratic will of the majority and failing.. sounds familiar. Glad they failed there and you lot failed here!

point taken. then again, it's the same democracy that put Trump in power, 70m people voted for him and probably still would

Perhaps an example that democracy doesn't work in some cases, it can be twisted and manipulated. Rather than be slaves to it, we should look for fairer democracy, and into stricter boundaries around political responsibility / protocol and the role of the media

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
point taken. then again, it's the same democracy that put Trump in power, 70m people voted for him and probably still would

Perhaps an example that democracy doesn't work in some cases, it can be twisted and manipulated. Rather than be slaves to it, we should look for fairer democracy, and into stricter boundaries around political responsibility / protocol and the role of the media

make the most of your political responsibility mate ........it'll be a figment of your imagination soon ...!

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009

My theory is that there's a difference between non-violent citizens and their representatives using ancient and established parliamentary procedures to offer the voting public the chance to confirm or otherwise an earlier view in the light of emerging information on the one hand and a rampaging mob of heavies practising physical intimidation on elected representatives in an organised riot on the other.

Fine with me if you don't believe there's a difference.

Jan 30, 2008
My theory is that there's a difference between non-violent citizens and their representatives using ancient and established parliamentary procedures to offer the voting public the chance to confirm or otherwise an earlier view in the light of emerging information on the one hand and a rampaging mob of heavies practising physical intimidation on elected representatives in an organised riot on the other.

Fine with me if you don't believe there's a difference.
Yet you've spent years arguing against the vote to leave the EU and are still arguing against it ,PMSL
Regards
DF

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Blimey this is a new one!

When did the EU replace NATO and the UN security Council?

Please direct me to where I suggested it did. I was simply drawing on information that our departure from the EU weakens the security of the Falkland Islands. Grants and preferential European Investment Bank loans will no longer be available to islanders and the sense - a well-founded sense - of the European Union standing at their shoulders on the matter of Britain's claimed sovereignty over the islands has gone.

Brexit throws away the key the Falklands had to huge markets for its meat and wool.

A number of EU nations - France, Italy, Spain and Portugal have been cited - are anxious to improve their diplomatic and economic relations with Argentina and are no longer constrained by that country's dispute with a fellow member of the Union. An increasingly expansionist China has been anxious to to establish closer links with Argentina with regard to its Antarctic strategy but up until now it seems to have been inhibited by the EU, one of whose members was in a stand-off with Buenos Aires.

For right or wrong this country spilt blood to hold on to the Falklands. Today's populist poseurs in Westminster, playing a cynical patriotism card before their artificially-folded Union Jacks, are on course to see it wasted.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Hopefully not too many Trump fanatics will be rushing to their local NFL teams message board trying to delegitimise the result or still complaining about it 4,5 6 years later...

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
The French did indeed sell a very small number of Exocet missiles to Argentina at a time when no one assumed that hostilities would break out with Britain. It is also the case that a number of French technicians subsequently provided some after sales service, to the embarrassment of Paris. However, the French government provided serious material support to the UK during the conflict because both the UK and France were fellow EU members.

A number of European governments would like to improve their relations with Argentina and now there is nothing to stop them. We move to the sidelines, our influence declining. And the Falklands become more exposed.

Who are they then ? , looks like you're waiting for the next Argentinian invasion of the Falklands
Regards
DF[/QUOTE]

I've offered details in my response to Billy the Fish above. (The shaded comments above are mine, not yours of course.)

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Hopefully not too many Trump fanatics will be rushing to their local NFL teams message board trying to delegitimise the result or still complaining about it 4,5 6 years later...

Let's hope not. England's populist fanatics did keep complaining about the 1975 referendum for nearly half a century though so who knows.

(You must really really disapprove of Jimmy Goldsmith and the well-funded lot who followed him. Actually, I don't so much. They may have used coarse and untruthful propaganda about a specious mirage to persuade their fellow men but ultimately their methods followed legitimate and non-violent constitutional process and for that I'm grateful. You hate them all you like though.)

Lever

Feb 6, 2019

Typically disingenuous, confrontational, inaccurate, divisive and unhelpful of you.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019

...and now you have plumbed a new depth of silliness.
Are you still attempting to stifle debate and scrutiny of the outcome of the Brexit you so vociferously supported? Why would you want to do that?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Typically disingenuous, confrontational, inaccurate, divisive and unhelpful of you.

The only thing left out of the clusterf**k of Brexit is the forlorn hope that remain voters have somehow come out of the situation worse than themselves. Its the final phase of denial in the face in reality

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It appears that it wasn't only Brexit voters who didn't know what they were voting for, apparently their leader had no idea either :dunce:

Boris Johnson 'does not understand' deal trade checks

In a video of the meeting, which has appeared on social media, businessman Irwin Armstrong asked Mr Johnson if he could tell his staff "we will not be filling in any customs declarations for good leaving Northern Ireland to go to GB".

Mr Johnson replied: "You can." He added: "If somebody asks you to do that tell them to ring up the prime minister and I will direct them to throw that form in the bin. There will be no forms, no checks, no barriers of any kind - you will have unfettered access."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-50352678

Fears of empty supermarket shelves throughout NI by this weekend due to Brexit - three month leniency period extension needed says logistics chief

Mr. Irwin made the comment while the Stormont Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (AERA) Committee heard evidence from LogisticsUK Policy Manager for Northern Ireland, Seamus Leheny.

Mr. Leheny updated the committee on the situation with the movement of goods into Northern Ireland since the activation of the Northern Ireland Protocol after the Brexit transition period between United Kingdom and the European Union ended on January 1, 2021. “I am being told that there will be some stores in Northern Ireland who won’t be able to stock their shelves by the weekend,” said Mr. Irwin.

https://www.newsletter.co.uk/business/fears-empty-supermarket-shelves-throughout-ni-weekend-due-brexit-three-month-leniency-period-extension-needed-says-logistics-chief-3088294

Shirley, nobody could have seen this coming :facepalm:

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
The only thing left out of the clusterf**k of Brexit is the forlorn hope that remain voters have somehow come out of the situation worse than themselves. Its the final phase of denial in the face in reality

There is a sustained effort on the part of several Brexit supporters on here to close down all debate about the Brexit outcome.

What could be the reason?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Let's hope not. England's populist fanatics did keep complaining about the 1975 referendum for nearly half a century though so who knows.

Of course people campaign against democratic decisions such as the above.
The Suffragettes did when Parliament voted against women getting the vote (and men under 30).
Gay people campaigned to make being gay legal and not imprisonable.

Democracy changes all the time.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
...and now you have plumbed a new depth of silliness.
Are you still attempting to stifle debate and scrutiny of the outcome of the Brexit you so vociferously supported? Why would you want to do that?

Is it because the penny has started to drop, albeit belatedly, and he has started to find what he, an ardent Unionist has voted for. This combined with him losing his job (not necessarily Brexit related, but getting another one certainly isn't going to be helped by Brexit) so spends every waking hour of everyday on here, under various accounts, trying to justify to himself that he is still 'a winner' ?

Of course, I'm only guessing and it could be some other reason entirely ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here