Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I can't get my head around people celebrating a potential trade deal with a country thousands of miles away over the one we have with EU

Hey, but lower tariffs on Vegemite and Tim Tams. It will be all be worth it

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
You have to believe more.

Since this tread has been moved to the bear pit, I have taken on board the phrase at the top of the forum 'Typically these threads are politically-focused and involve a small group of people getting angry with each other, whilst absolutely no-one will attempt to see the other side, nor change their perspective.'

So I have decided that this was a prompt for me to be more open minded and see the other side of the argument. I undertook extensive, although ultimately, unsuccessful research for some definable benefits. The notable exception being £1.85 each menstruating woman will save if we immediately cut VAT on sanitary products on 1/1/21, 12 months before the EU do the same. (For complete accuracy, it was one of our regular Brexit supporting friends who pointed this out to me, when asked the benefits question). Although undoubtedly a definable benefit, I felt I really couldn't build a cost/benefit case for leaving the EU on this alone.

So, from this I have decided that the area I was sadly lacking in was, indeed, belief.

For the past few days I have believed SO HARD that this will be something other than an unmitigated disaster, that on a couple of occasions I nearly shat myself. (which could explain the nature of some of the posts from regular contributors on here, but staying on point).

I'm afraid that I have to report back that even after this, we still have a completely incompetent buffoon and his bunch of gutless sycophants in charge, U-turns on the border in the Irish Sea, Animal Welfare and Food Standards, Control of our borders, Businesses having no idea of what they will have to do in 6 months time, and all this before we have even decided the basic whether to have a deal or no deal, 4 years after we voted for 'it' :facepalm: .

What a complete and utter waste of my time that was (the believing and the post) :lolol:

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Since this tread has been moved to the bear pit, I have taken on board the phrase at the top of the forum 'Typically these threads are politically-focused and involve a small group of people getting angry with each other, whilst absolutely no-one will attempt to see the other side, nor change their perspective.'

So I have decided that this was a prompt for me to be more open minded and see the other side of the argument. I undertook extensive, although ultimately, unsuccessful research for some definable benefits. The notable exception being £1.85 each menstruating woman will save if we immediately cut VAT on sanitary products on 1/1/21, 12 months before the EU do the same. (For complete accuracy, it was one of our regular Brexit supporting friends who pointed this out to me, when asked the benefits question). Although undoubtedly a definable benefit, I felt I really couldn't build a cost/benefit case for leaving the EU on this alone.

So, from this I have decided that the area I was sadly lacking in was, indeed, belief.

For the past few days I have believed SO HARD that this will be something other than an unmitigated disaster, that on a couple of occasions I nearly shat myself. (which could explain the nature of some of the posts from regular contributors on here, but staying on point).

I'm afraid that I have to report back that even after this, we still have a completely incompetent buffoon and his bunch of gutless sycophants in charge, U-turns on the border in the Irish Sea, Animal Welfare and Food Standards, Control of our borders, Businesses having no idea of what they will have to do in 6 months time, and all this before we have even decided the basic whether to have a deal or no deal, 4 years after we voted for 'it' :facepalm: .

What a complete and utter waste of my time that was (the believing and the post) :lolol:

As we approach 4 years since the vote, project fear is gradually becoming project reality. Meanwhile the government hopes that the chaos and death of covid exacerbated by their competence will allow their failed experiment to slip under the radar unnoticed.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Even without covid, the idea of leaving after being embedded in the EU after 40 odd years without a credible plan, and being delivered to sunny uplands is fecking ridiculous.

Jan 30, 2008

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz at best 0/10
Regards
DF

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Japan rushes UK to agree first post-Brexit trade deal

https://www.ft.com/content/a70e644e-f585-4d20-8551-9e3972004f4f

Japan has given the UK just six weeks to strike a post-Brexit deal, putting Boris Johnson’s government under pressure to agree one of the fastest trade negotiations in history — and Britain’s first in more than 40 years.

While meeting the timetable would hand Mr Johnson an early trade victory, it also highlights the risk of the UK being bounced into bad deals before the Brexit transition expires at the end of the year.

All going to plan then.

It's like some sort of dodgy long term advent calendar. Each day another window opens to reveal a new disaster :shootself

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea

Japan has given the UK just six weeks to strike a post-Brexit deal, putting Boris Johnson’s government under pressure to agree one of the fastest trade negotiations in history — and Britain’s first in more than 40 years.

While meeting the timetable would hand Mr Johnson an early trade victory, it also highlights the risk of the UK being bounced into bad deals before the Brexit transition expires at the end of the year.

All going to plan then.

It's like some sort of dodgy long term advent calendar. Each day another window opens to reveal a new disaster :shootself

You really are a glass half-empty merchant, aren't you Watford Gap? Life can't be much fun.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
You really are a glass half-empty merchant, aren't you Watford Gap? Life can't be much fun.

It's probably because, unlike yourself, I'm not a winner. Even if 4 years later, you still have no idea what it is you've won :laugh:

And for all you glass full winners, you still have the excitement of a new window on the calendar tomorrow

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

All going to plan then.

In fairness, the Brexit Doom Merchants (of whom I am one) would at one stage have denied the possibility of a bi-lateral deal in a 6 week window. I'm frankly amazed. However, not all trade deals are good trade deals as I fear we might be about to find out. This morning I heard an interview with an Aussie representative (I was still half asleep, which probably qualifies me for high office in this government) and he was very enthusiastic about the export opportunities this offered. There wasn't much chat about the imports from the UK.

Again, in fairness Johnson might be lucky (luck being the only thing that can explain how he got to be PM) in that as China falls out with places such as Aus it means that other countries might almost be as desperate as we are for new deals.

We have to wake up and smell the coffee (if it's still on the shelves): we are swapping the best trading arrangements in the world, for (at best) a series of quick and dirty deals that will never fill the gaping hole left by leaving.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
4 years.

Have any positives emerged at all to make people's lives better?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Just popping this up here …….

From PMQ's today...…. "DUP MP Sammy Wilson has a letter in his hand.
He says: "We were told when we leave the EU at the end of this year, Northern Ireland will still remain full part of UK.
"Yet I have a letter received by management of Port of Larne only this week stating they have to prepare to become a border control post.
"Can the PM explain how Northern Ireland can remain full part of UK if people coming to Northern Ireland have to pass through a border control post.
Boris Johnson says he can tell the MP that "categorically there will be no new customs infrastructure".
"Northern Ireland is part of the customs territory of the whole of the UK," he adds.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Very similar to my own views. The media luvvies and their cohorts caused Brexit by their wilful elitism over those they considered less worthy.

I'm sorry, but I believe the people who 'caused' Brexit are the people who voted Leave at the referendum and Conservative at the election. All the information as to what would happen was there and available to everyone, if you chose to believe it. So it was down to them, no one else. If I ignore my IFA and put all my savings into magic beans instead, is that somehow my IFA's fault ?

And now they will get what they wanted and what they deserve :shrug:

(We were both posting in the wrong thread :wink:)

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Just popping this up here …….

From PMQ's today...…. "DUP MP Sammy Wilson has a letter in his hand.
He says: "We were told when we leave the EU at the end of this year, Northern Ireland will still remain full part of UK.
"Yet I have a letter received by management of Port of Larne only this week stating they have to prepare to become a border control post.
"Can the PM explain how Northern Ireland can remain full part of UK if people coming to Northern Ireland have to pass through a border control post.
Boris Johnson says he can tell the MP that "categorically there will be no new customs infrastructure".
"Northern Ireland is part of the customs territory of the whole of the UK," he adds.

I just laughed when I saw the clip of this

Poor Sammy, backed the wrong horse and now realises he looks like a complete fool after being owned

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I just laughed when I saw the clip of this

Poor Sammy, backed the wrong horse and now realises he looks like a complete fool after being owned

When you have an 80 seat majority suddenly its no longer " The Conservative and Unionist Party " …. sold down the river.... whatever happened to Arlene ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here