Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Thanks for the advice, but I'll probably ignore advice from a man whose long claimed and fanfared Animal Welfare principles can literally be bought off with a cheesy crust

I think you’re a bit of a knob however I love your commitment to research and subsequent report based presentation. [emoji122]

I’ll upgrade your status to busy knob [emoji106]

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I think you’re a bit of a knob however I love your commitment to research and subsequent report based presentation. [emoji122]

I’ll upgrade your status to busy knob [emoji106]

Why thank you. I'm afraid I've never actually thought about you at all. Sorry :shrug:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Why thank you. I'm afraid I've never actually thought about you at all. Sorry :shrug:

Still snapping away like an annoying baby alligator [emoji23]

dc1a1b1b829d9854209a2c98a38aa856.jpg

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Seems those customs posts aren't ready well on the UK side at least...

So if there's no deal there's no checks at Dover, just waive everything through. But to export to the EU, its full checks and tariffs of course

This is pure genius from this government to protect EU imports. They need us more than we need them?

Em... Also .I assume with WTO membership it will be zero tariff on UK imports for the other 163 countries. Clubs have rules remember..

https://www.ft.com/content/37fad070-160f-4d3b-b043-940b843a0daf

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

So if there's no deal there's no checks at Dover, just waive everything through. But to export to the EU, its full checks and tariffs of course

This is pure genius from this government to protect EU imports. They need us more than we need them?

Em... Also .I assume with WTO membership it will be zero tariff on UK imports for the other 163 countries. Clubs have rules remember..

So the Government that couldn't work out that getting a few kids back into big empty schools with social distancing couldn't be expanded to all school children across all schools, now can't work out that removing tariffs for EU goods under WTO rules, would mean tariff free access to the UK for the whole world ?

Quelle surprise :shootself

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
So the Government that couldn't work out that getting a few kids back to school with social distancing couldn't be expanded to all school children across all schools, now can't work out that removing tariffs for EU goods under WTO rules, would mean tariff free access to the UK for the whole world ?

Quelle surprise :shootself

Its a cracking deal for Europe, they have what they want. The SM is secured with Irish sea customs border and also tariffs and checks at Dover, plus tariff free access to UK market as before

They must be very tempted to just say No Deal it is then.

Disaster for UK exporters, barriers to biggest market and we're be the dumping ground for all and sundry. Or have I missed something?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Its a cracking deal for Europe, they have what they want. The SM is secured with Irish sea customs border and also tariffs and checks at Dover, plus tariff free access to UK market as before

They must be very tempted to just say No Deal it is then.

Disaster for UK exporters, barriers to biggest market and we're be the dumping ground for all and sundry. Or have I missed something?

I really do think we need to change our approach to this.

We should stick our fingers in our ears, shout 'PROJECT FEAR' very loudly and believe more

c4c3442e9f731bc9783c83bf1389ecb0.gif

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Why would any country want to sign free trade agreements when after 31/12/20 they can dump whatever they want on us for free anyway?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Why would any country want to sign free trade agreements when after 31/12/20 they can dump whatever they want on us for free anyway?

But DEFRA Minister George Eustace claims high tariffs on low standard foods from USA

And Liz Truss says zero tariffs after 10 years

And Gove says not checking any imports at the border.

It's almost as if the government don't know what they've doing

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
He's not had the best 24 hours has he. All he has now is his Twitter to scream 'betrayal!' from. Still, he'll have more time to go down to Dover and enjoy his new hobby of lock down migrant spotting.

[tweet]1271338179489136641[/tweet]

What happened to #takebackcontrol anyway? Is it #nocontrol now?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
In February, Gove said import controls were "necessary" to keep the country''s borders "safe and secure"

I guess its inline with government policy, say one thing and do the opposite

The world looks on in dismay...

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

I read this on bbc.co.uk earlier (that FT article is paywalled). My understanding is that we're still supposed to be imposing WTO tarrifs on everything that comes into the UK (or is it just Britain?), but that we're not actually going to do any sort of border checks on the thousands of lorries, trains and cargo planes arriving every day and just hope that the importers are honest?

Or have I completely misunderstood, and is it that we're giving 0% tarriffs to everybody, which will mean that there's zero incentive for any country to make a trade deal with us?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
No wonder Gove sidestepped the urgent question the other day and Penny Mourdant refused to clarify anything when answering it in his place the other day. What a ****ing shitshow.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I read this on bbc.co.uk earlier (that FT article is paywalled). My understanding is that we're still supposed to be imposing WTO tarrifs on everything that comes into the UK (or is it just Britain?), but that we're not actually going to do any sort of border checks on the thousands of lorries, trains and cargo planes arriving every day and just hope that the importers are honest?

Or have I completely misunderstood, and is it that we're giving 0% tarriffs to everybody, which will mean that there's zero incentive for any country to make a trade deal with us?

Yeap that's my understanding, but nothing makes sense anymore

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
They're saying it's because of the coronavirus pandemic. If that's the case, then the answer is surely to extend the transition period until the pandemic is over and no longer an issue in this respect?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
They're saying it's because of the coronavirus pandemic. If that's the case, then the answer is surely to extend the transition period until the pandemic is over and no longer an issue in this respect?
It is politically impossible for Johnson to extend the transition period.

However.... he could do a temporary short term time limited deal to get round this, while they work on the long term deal.... and he could then claim the win.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Yeap that's my understanding, but nothing makes sense anymore

Well I for one am a bit disappointed that our resident intellectual heavyweights on the Leaver side haven't yet claimed a victory. They, of course, know that this arrangement (whatever it is, because I'm buggered if I can work it out) is EXACTLY what they voted for. I know this because they keep telling us that they knew what they were voting for and therefore know what the outcome is and really like it. And this (whatever it is) is what 'taking back control' must have really meant: relinquishing any control whatever on those precious borders.

I get it, I really do; the scales have fallen from my eyes and I am now a true believer. Leave really does mean Leave. Whatever that means.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
So it's now official. Gove has told the EU the UK definitely won't be seeking an extension to the transition phase, no further meetings are planned so that's it.

The WTO tariffs with amendments have been published by the government, talks with the USA are already underway, the Agriculture Bill has been passed paving the way for EU standards to be lowered.

Incredibly, the likes of Mark Francoise are still talking up the possibility of a free trade deal as if the EU can drop everything in the midst of coronavirus.

The Project Fear of 2016-17 doesn't even come close to the actual position we are currently facing.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It is politically impossible for Johnson to extend the transition period.

However.... he could do a temporary short term time limited deal to get round this, while they work on the long term deal.... and he could then claim the win.

We're past that point. The "Stick two fingers up to Brussels, low tax Singapore-style economy, Special Relationship with USA, Britain as a standalone global superpower and privatising the NHS" sexual fantasy the Tories have dreamed of since 1973 is finally happening.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
So it's now official. Gove has told the EU the UK definitely won't be seeking an extension to the transition phase, no further meetings are planned so that's it.

The WTO tariffs with amendments have been published by the government, talks with the USA are already underway, the Agriculture Bill has been passed paving the way for EU standards to be lowered.

Incredibly, the likes of Mark Francoise are still talking up the possibility of a free trade deal as if the EU can drop everything in the midst of coronavirus.

The Project Fear of 2016-17 doesn't even come close to the actual position we are currently facing.

Boris is meeting them on Monday just said on the BBC

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here