Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
unfortunate but predictable, government elected to deliver brexit will deliver brexit whatever.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Watching Shapps today at the Covid briefing desperately busking an answer to a question about Brexit, made me wonder what he really thinks. He was a Remainer and there are still a sprinkling of them in the upper reaches of the party. How can they stomach the way things are turning out? Surely, what we face is the worst sort of Brexit imaginable, especially when you throw in Covid. I can't pretend to think like one of these specimens, but just how bad do things have to be for them to resign? Naïve question I know.

At least the Brexit maniacs are consistent in their lunacy.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
It is politically impossible for Johnson to extend the transition period.

However.... he could do a temporary short term time limited deal to get round this, while they work on the long term deal.... and he could then claim the win.

but as you say, not an option politically here or there. both sides take position and unable to make simple concessions.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
It is politically impossible for Johnson to extend the transition period.

However.... he could do a temporary short term time limited deal to get round this, while they work on the long term deal.... and he could then claim the win.

In view of the fact Johnson has a large majority and there are exceptional circumstances with Covid they could easily extend, but they've chosen not to. Export businesses that are getting crushed this year will not take to this kindly should they be no deal

You say do a temporary short term deal, well this is the UK plan by leaving our borders open to light touch on import checks. They are hoping the EU will reciprocate, I very much doubt they will. Either extend properly or its WTO and you start again from scratch

The WTO has rules and I hope government understand them, its also pretty undemocratic as we are likely to discover

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Heard one of the idiot Brexiteer MPs replay the old 'they need us more than we need them' trope (tripe) this morning. They've got us in the shite and they seem to be quite proud of it.

I was going say the German car industry will come running, but seeing as its open borders and no tariffs for EU imports from January I'm not sure they will...

#losingcompletecontrol

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Heard one of the idiot Brexiteer MPs replay the old 'they need us more than we need them' trope (tripe) this morning. They've got us in the shite and they seem to be quite proud of it.

There'll be a lot of doubling down in the next 6 months, followed by 12-18 months of wilful blindness, obfuscation and blaming it all on the EU / Remoaners / Sadiq Khan as it all plays out and people start to realise we're royally in the shit. They'd rather burn the place down than admit they might have got it wrong.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Johnson says there will be a deal in July. i thought that might entertain people here.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Apologies if fixtures, but the Remaoning lefties at the Spectator have weighed in

[TWEET]1272519226637594624[/TWEET]

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Apologies if fixtures, but the Remaoning lefties at the Spectator have weighed in

[TWEET]1272519226637594624[/TWEET]

Sorry guys, you got groomed...

#victimsofbrexit

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Liz Truss:

"Ambitious trade deals......with old friends like Australia and NZ are a ...powerful way for us to make good on the promise of Brexit."

A Dept of International Trade report found that a deal with Australia would be worth between 0.01 and 0.03% of GDP in the long term. A deal with NZ would be 'close to zero' in terms of its impact on the UK's GDP. Close to zero.

Of course, we all know that every little helps, but Jesus, this is grim. Sold a pup. (Brexiteers will no doubt tells us that this is Project Fear Revisited.)

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Liz Truss:

"Ambitious trade deals......with old friends like Australia and NZ are a ...powerful way for us to make good on the promise of Brexit."

A Dept of International Trade report found that a deal with Australia would be worth between 0.01 and 0.03% of GDP in the long term. A deal with NZ would be 'close to zero' in terms of its impact on the UK's GDP. Close to zero.

Of course, we all know that every little helps, but Jesus, this is grim. Sold a pup. (Brexiteers will no doubt tells us that this is Project Fear Revisited.)

Worth listening to form Aust PM Julia Gillard

https://twitter.com/bbcpolitics/status/1180084022992441344

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here