Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southampton plan £7.5m raid on Brighton for Solly March

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Had 7.5 million been mentioned a month ago, 99% of posters on this board would have snapped there hands off for that money....

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Had 7.5 million been mentioned a month ago, 99% of posters on this board would have snapped there hands off for that money....

I doubt that.

If the team were listless in mid table then maybe.
But nobody would be looking to off load any young, English, under 21 international, first team regular, from a top of the table side a third of the way through the season.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
We don't need the money so really don't see why we would sell him.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I doubt that.

If the team were listless in mid table then maybe.
But nobody would be looking to off load any young, English, under 21 international, first team regular, from a top of the table side a third of the way through the season.

mmm Im not so sure, he wasnt a first team regular really then though, and certainly wasnt in the form he has shown in the last month.

I hope we keep him for many years i really do, but 10 million and its a sale for me, his head will be turned if a serious offer comes in close to that.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
If we don't get promoted this season then I accept that we will REALLY struggle to hold on to March, Kayal, Dunk and Bong. However until then the club would be insane to consider breaking up the first team core of 15-16 players.

For me the benchmark is Gray, if Burnley were willing to spend £11m on him then March is an equal in terms of potential for me. Add on the new TV deal money and we should be asking for 8 figures for March if and when the time comes.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My point is that even without this rumour CH may be considering playing 1 wide man to allow a place for Towell. Who does he expect him to replace or has he just signed him to make up the squad numbers?

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Stunned at some of the replies! We are top of the league and the biggest tv deal ever is on offer next season yet some people would sell a first teamer in January!

What do you think his value will be in the summer if we don't go up? Pretty much the same! He is contracted til 2018 after all. Strengthen, not sell.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Stains have a well established academy, and their youngsters cost zillions when the big teams finally come in for them. We've got a long way to go to catch up. Live with it! - we're heading the right way, but sure as hell ain't there yet.

If it was that easy what where Stains doing in Div1? They get market rate for players, we have been selling cheap in the past.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
My point is that even without this rumour CH may be considering playing 1 wide man to allow a place for Towell. Who does he expect him to replace or has he just signed him to make up the squad numbers?

He will start off pushing for a place in the squad, if he's good enough then it's a nice problem for CH to have and gives us better quality strength in depth in central midfield.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Its probably his agent rattling around a few stories in the hope he can renegotiate a new improved deal for Solly, I know he recently signed a new deal but that represented his worth at that time which was probably less then than now.

If he has a decent second half of the season, hopefully with the club pushing for the Premiership he can push for lucrative new deal, if his agent can rustle up some interest and even better some bidding then his negotiating hand will become stronger.

I hear his agent is Robert Codner by the way...................................

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Its probably his agent rattling around a few stories in the hope he can renegotiate a new improved deal for Solly, I know he recently signed a new deal but that represented his worth at that time which was probably less then than now.

If he has a decent second half of the season, hopefully with the club pushing for the Premiership he can push for lucrative new deal, if his agent can rustle up some interest and even better some bidding then his negotiating hand will become stronger.

I hear his agent is Robert Codner by the way...................................

He is. A fair few of us spent the train journey back from the Forest (sneaking into the playoffs) game with Codner. (As an aside, I had Solly's shirt from that game that he had luzzed into the crowd)

There was certainly more than a suggestion that Saints were sniffing around back then.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
There is 'value added' for a player like Solly that can beat a player and nick a few goals so it would be quite normal for clubs to be monitoring him.

But as some have said he hasn't quite delivered up until recently, so I am always underwhelmed by recruitment departments that tend to react to current short term form and then appear to assign significant fee's to perhaps buy him, surely the skill would of been to understand his worth and potential last season or last month and consider buying the player at a significantly lower price from a club perhaps more likely to selling him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here