Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Marathon Thread

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
1. 3 marathons. New Forest 2010, Abingdon 2011 and Brighton 2012.
2. No
3. Brighton 2012. 3hrs 27mins. Age 44.

Have hung up my marathon boots and sticking to shorter, more sensible distances that impact a lot less on joints, heart and family!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
1. 35, first in 2006 aged 39
2. 7, longest London to Brighton (64 miles, 14 hours odd)
3. Edinburgh, 3.43 in 2010 (aged 44)

None last year due to injuries, 3 done this year so far (all in Sussex !) and another 6 or so booked in, all offroad except Brighton. No PBs expected, main aims are SDW50 (2 weeks time) and SDW100 (June) races.

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
ran first marathon when i was 20, the first 1
no Ultras
4.38 dressed as a Spartan, ran as Bane last year

may pull out this year as i have shin splints, which is effing painful, ran last year with Planta Faciatus which was bad enough

BillPotter

Nov 2, 2011
It's OFFICIAL - NSC can put out a football team of Brighton Marathon Runners!

We may not win the league - but boy will we have some fun:

big nuts
dazzer6666
Driver8
El Presidente
ForestRowSeagull
Indiana Paul
knocky1
Mr Shaun 15
Ninja Elephant
Simgull
Steve Foster

Any reserves out there?

Yep put me on the list, this will be my first Marathon also.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
We now have a Dirty Dozen running the Brighton Marathon:

big nuts
BillPotter
dazzer6666
Driver8
El Presidente
ForestRowSeagull
Indiana Paul
knocky1
Mr Shaun 15
Ninja Elephant
Simgull
Steve Foster

Looks like I'm unlucky number 13. Its my first one. I've previously run a half in 1:35. Based on this I'm hoping for 3:30, but this is rather optimistic as my training has been very poor, longest run was my half back in October last year.

Looks like I'm unlucky number 13. Its my first one. I've previously run a half in 1:35. Based on this I'm hoping for 3:30, but this is rather optimistic as my training has been very poor, longest run was my half back in October last year.

Good luck fella! I've done 84 marathons & only once squeezed in under 3:30. Will be some go on your first, fingers crossed!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It's OFFICIAL - NSC can put out a football team of Brighton Marathon Runners!

We may not win the league - but boy will we have some fun:

big nuts
dazzer6666
Driver8
El Presidente
ForestRowSeagull
Indiana Paul
knocky1
Mr Shaun 15
Ninja Elephant
Simgull
Steve Foster

Any reserves out there?

I believe London Irish, Mr Blobby and Edna Krabappel are also running the race.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thanks. I'm starting to think that sub 4 hours would be a more sensible target, as I don't want to completely blow up.

Would probably suggest not going for 3.30 if you haven't trained......take it easy for the first half at least then if you're full of beans go for it. Otherwise, just chat, high-five all the kids and enjoy it - often a lot more fun doing it that way. Good luck anyway !

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Just the one for me, Brighton 2011, 4hr and 45 and chuffed as nuts to have done it. Swore never to do another one as it would then become about the time and not just about getting round!! Funnily enough, physically I found it ok; definitely the hardest thing I had done but OK. Much harder, and more of a shock to me was the physchological battle when I hit 20+ miles.. finishing was a reality, but there was still an hours running to do.. the bit around Shorhem harbour when it feels that you are the furthest point away from the finishing line (maybe you are?) there are fewer people cheering on and the just the sound of trainers on tarmac! That was where I found it tough..
Tips - get the miles in for training. Most mileage I trained was 18 miles! Cut your toe nails, no horrible rubbing/cutting, and plenty of sweets/sugary stuff for the trip. One training run I literally ran out of energy which was most unpleasant feeling!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Just the one for me, Brighton 2011, 4hr and 45 and chuffed as nuts to have done it. Swore never to do another one as it would then become about the time and not just about getting round!! Funnily enough, physically I found it ok; definitely the hardest thing I had done but OK. Much harder, and more of a shock to me was the physchological battle when I hit 20+ miles.. finishing was a reality, but there was still an hours running to do.. the bit around Shorhem harbour when it feels that you are the furthest point away from the finishing line (maybe you are?) there are fewer people cheering on and the just the sound of trainers on tarmac! That was where I found it tough..
Tips - get the miles in for training. Most mileage I trained was 18 miles! Cut your toe nails, no horrible rubbing/cutting, and plenty of sweets/sugary stuff for the trip. One training run I literally ran out of energy which was most unpleasant feeling!

The effing pier never seems to get any closer............

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Brighton this year will be marathon number 3. Did Brighton in 2011 & London 2013. Best time was London in 5.24 (aged 44). Hoping for 5 hours at Brighton this year. Did a PB in the Brighton half this year of 2.12.34! Just another plug for fund raising page (running for the Martlets hospice again)

https://www.justgiving.com/MarkRaven2015

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Gentle Hove Parkrun with a few miles either side followed by a 16 on Sunday with 10 at marathon pace. Windy westerlies Sunday so may take a700 bus along past Worthing as don't want anything too hard at this stage.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
so with just two weeks to go to Brighton marathon, what is your running plans this weekend?

Working all weekend so a bit time constrained. Hope to squeeze in 10-12 after work tomorrow, but flying home Sunday so no opportunity. Seeing physio Monday, and if given a thumbs up with aim for 18 Tuesday and then its taper time.

Gentle Hove Parkrun with a few miles either side followed by a 16 on Sunday with 10 at marathon pace. Windy westerlies Sunday so may take a700 bus along past Worthing as don't want anything too hard at this stage.

Sounds similar to my plan. I haven't done Preston Parkrun always Hove Park - so will trot to Preston Park soon & then tomorrow 15 miles are calling.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
Another first timer here.

Was hoping to get to 20m this morning, had to bow out a little short of 18. Energy levels were fine thanks to gels, but legs were really hurting last couple of miles. Hopefully it's enough to get me through on the day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here