Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Northants v Sussex County Championship 23-09-14 10.30 start

Have they not scored enough to nearly guarantee a draw. Being 283 in front 50 of 60 more will make it certain and put Northants on the defensive because there is no way they will chase 350, if they did they would probably lose wickets quickly.

Sussex finishing third is worth a net additional £61k(min) to the team's player fund and £11k(min) to SxCCC. If I were Joyce and/or the club's CEO then forcing Northants out of this game and ensuring the highest finish position in the LVCC for Sussex would be my first priority now. Why put this at any risk?

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Have they not scored enough to nearly guarantee a draw. Being 283 in front 50 of 60 more will make it certain and put Northants on the defensive because there is no way they will chase 350, if they did they would probably lose wickets quickly.

But why take that risk.
Sussex are guarenteed 3rd place if we draw, as A,A, Dawson says, that is worth 61K to the players fund and 11K to the club. Why risk it by giving them a sniff.
If Mags:bowdown: was to pull a hamstring, we would only have The Hatchett Man and Liddle and he would go for 8 an over at least.
Nothing gained by giving them a chance, lose the game and we finish 4th and out of the prize money.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
231/4 currently. Wright out early, Wells 94no.

At Old Trafford, Morgan is out and Middlesex are 213/5 with a lead of 125 BUT - RAIN's STOPPED PLAY!

OOOH ! that must be frustrating for Lancs....

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Sussex finishing third is worth a net additional £61k(min) to the team's player fund and £11k(min) to SxCCC. If I were Joyce and/or the club's CEO then forcing Northants out of this game and ensuring the highest finish position in the LVCC for Sussex would be my first priority now. Why put this at any risk?

It might be covered earlier, but if we draw and Somerset win, we are on same points, 210. Do we therefore guarantee third as we got more points in the matches between the sides (if we did)?

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
It might be covered earlier, but if we draw and Somerset win, we are on same points, 210. Do we therefore guarantee third as we got more points in the matches between the sides (if we did)?

Just checked and Somerset beat us. So have you guys who think a draw will do got it wrong?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
If teams finish level on points, most wins determines placing. We already have 6 wins, Zummerset would have 5.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

I think we're 12 ahead and if we drew we'd get 5 and they'd get 16 more so we'd still be above them?

If not from the games between us we have 8 and they 40odd i think

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Determining criteria for positioning

1. Most points
2. Most wins
3. Fewest defeats
4. Most points head-to-head
5. Most wickets taken
6. Most runs scored

If Lancashire beat Middlesex today, they stay up by virtue of the fourth criterion. By one point.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
I think we're 12 ahead and if we drew we'd get 5 and they'd get 16 more so we'd still be above them?

If not from the games between us we have 8 and they 40odd i think

My mistake. We have 4 batting points from this match and I thought 3. Therefore yes, we are on the magical 211 to guarantee third as long as we don't lose. Therefore, yes bat out day!

My mistake. We have 4 batting points from this match and I thought 3. Therefore yes, we are on the magical 211 to guarantee third as long as we don't lose. Therefore, yes bat out day!

I think we only have 3 batting points as we didn't make it to the 350 run threshold in the 110 overs allotted for bonus points.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Middlesex lose their 7th wkt 176 ahead. Toby Roland Jones taking the Lancs bowlers on. In the balance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here