Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Northants v Sussex County Championship 23-09-14 10.30 start

Excellent cricketer - really good, old-fashioned county pro. He really should have played for England but what great service he's given Lancashire ... they don't deserve him.

I see Somerset have mucked things up against Yorkshire and are hanging on now ...

The team finishing forth, as Somerset would have if they'd won, receive £27k for their players' pool with the Club getting an additional £5.1K. Having drawn and finished sixth, they are one place off any prize money. For finishing third, the Sussex players' get £88k and the Club itself just over £15k.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Excellent cricketer - really good, old-fashioned county pro. He really should have played for England but what great service he's given Lancashire ... they don't deserve him.

I see Somerset have mucked things up against Yorkshire and are hanging on now ...

Peter Martin got 'the nod' ahead of him at the time of consideration for things higher. It's hard to believe that was almost twenty years ago. I still can't believe he's been no closer since.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Peter Martin got 'the nod' ahead of him at the time of consideration for things higher. It's hard to believe that was almost twenty years ago. I still can't believe he's been no closer since.

Peter Martin! I had forgotten he even existed. We had some bang average test players in the 90s.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
A sterling season in the Championship for Sussex finishing 3rd out of 18 for the second year in a row. To be continually out-performing the likes of Surrey on a much smaller budget is quite an achievement. We now need to sort out our one-day cricket and also get a couple of seamers for next years run at the Championship.
Great performances this year from Joyce, Magoffin and Wright.

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
The team finishing forth, as Somerset would have if they'd won, receive £27k for their players' pool with the Club getting an additional £5.1K. Having drawn and finished sixth, they are one place off any prize money. For finishing third, the Sussex players' get £88k and the Club itself just over £15k.

88K for a summers graft! Bloody joke. About 2 days pay for Rooney and a load of other lazy PL muppets.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
That's below minimum wage for hours put in.

How are the ECB doiny? Handsome profit or treading water?

When the Ashes went to Sky I was mortified. I understand why it's needed now, though. Cricket suffers in the same way Rugby does. Two great sports, with players far from involved because of the money they can make.

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
A sterling season in the Championship for Sussex finishing 3rd out of 18 for the second year in a row. To be continually out-performing the likes of Surrey on a much smaller budget is quite an achievement. We now need to sort out our one-day cricket and also get a couple of seamers for next years run at the Championship.
Great performances this year from Joyce, Magoffin and Wright.

Without these 3, we'd have been stuffed. Only Joyce, Wright and, thanks to 200+ in the last match, Wells got anywhere near 1,000 runs. 2nd to Goff in wickets taken was Jordan with 25 - and he missed large chunks of the season. Hatchett was next best with 22. With a superb start, crap middle and decent finish, we did incredibly well to finish 3rd. But god help us if we lose any of our top 3 to injury or old age catching up on them next season.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Without these 3, we'd have been stuffed. Only Joyce, Wright and, thanks to 200+ in the last match, Wells got anywhere near 1,000 runs. 2nd to Goff in wickets taken was Jordan with 25 - and he missed large chunks of the season. Hatchett was next best with 22. With a superb start, crap middle and decent finish, we did incredibly well to finish 3rd. But god help us if we lose any of our top 3 to injury or old age catching up on them next season.

In fairness, we are not the only county that could say such a thing.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Agreed. 3rd should be seen by the club as a massive overachievement

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Very true. I guess my point is we don't have much of a supporting cast and have done incredibly well to finish 3rd on that basis. But need to get at least another 2 in to offset the workload/reliance.

Oh yes, but the parlous state of county finances generally dictates otherwise. It's the reason why a decent batsman, who cannot be guaranteed first team cricket, will always move on very quickly.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Bit harsh on Nash, who had no pre-season and missed the first month or so. He still managed nearly 900 runs at just under 40 and it's very harsh on Cachopa who performed perfectly adequately in his first season of CC cricket. Jimmy Anyon took 50 wickets last year but missed nearly the entire season.

In fact, given that, thanks to international calls and injuries, we lost Prior, Nash, Joyce, Wright, Jordan, Machan, Lewis, Hamilton-Brown, Yardy and Anyon during the course of the season, we did extremely well to finish where we did. Next year, we could have Prior and Wright for the entire season, and if Cachopa kicks on, the batting could be good. We desperately need a spinner and a second seamer though

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here