Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Transfer Update - Paul Barber (merged)

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/article/transfer-window-update-1788668.aspx?

Feel a little more at ease after reading through that.

Just a shame its taken a while for Mr Barber to come out and speak

My glass is half full again! :lolol:

The inferrence from you then is that you don't really trust the club. I read that piece, and while interesting, was pretty much how
I expected th club to approach things, steadily and professionally and not just throwing money at any and every available player as some on here would have us do.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Theres me thinking we had sold Paul Barber!

Main thing I have taken from the statement, he needs a new photo!

ricky-gervais-channel4.jpg

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It really is a good job TSLR have packed it in after all. Last season I was just about able to get away with satirising Paul Barber as a sort of Montgomery Burns only less likable. I don't think it would believable this season.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Exactly. I was actually cringing Barber's article.

Not because of what he was saying. It was very well written.

It's the sheer fact that the club/he felt he needed to.

Amazing.
This. The thought of the fans forum coming up, when he and TB will likely be face to face with a large number of the self-important CJTCs that gush forth these ignorant complaints all over social media, fills me with dread and embarrassment. They should have better things to be doing than answering these idiots' ill-informed bitching, who only then moan about the response anyway. It's lose/lose for him and personally I think the man has the patience of a saint.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
So there we have it, but some of you will still not believe it.

Sami identifies which areas of the squad need improving.

David Burke then does the donkey work and identifies who is available to meet that criteria.

Offers are then made and the players arrive or not as the case may be.

So no undue interference from Burke or Barber.

:thumbsup: Very good, apart from the fact that Burke and his team will have already done the donkey work on the players and their availability. It's a year round job for them to be proactive through scouting, analysing, assessing & categorising hundreds of players and also monitoring a small subset of potential candidates.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
:thumbsup: Very good, apart from the fact that Burke and his team will have already done the donkey work on the players and their availability. It's a year round job for them to be proactive through scouting, analysing, assessing & categorising hundreds of players and also monitoring a small subset of potential candidates.

And then coming up with John Obika.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Yes. Good job PB. Definitely needed to be done. Needed to cover for our normal slow recruitment. Plenty of fans rightly concerned with still being 4 or 5 players short. This despite the rose tinted spectacle wearing goons on here saying it's all good. It isn't.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Errr, pay attention, Oscar Garcia coming up with Obika.

I think Obika and Lita last season comes into this category are a bit of a red herring when it comes to merits of recruitment team/role of manager discussion. He was only ever supposed to be a temporary 4th choice striker at best.
In the end he scored once in the FA Cup, quite a good goal at Port Vale i recall and i enjoyed his celebration.
As for his other moments then not great including that overhead kick but we never picked him did we because we didn't need to... 8 appearances all from the bench. 3 in the cup.
Not sure what you can tell from it. Who else is going to be available at such short notice for back up who probably won't be played ?

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Plenty of fans rightly concerned with still being 4 or 5 players short. This despite the rose tinted spectacle wearing goons on here saying it's all good. It isn't.
:facepalm: I'm concerned with us still be 4 or 5 players short of having a really good squad. My concern is not because I doubt the efforts the club are making, my concern is because it's football, and there's no guarantee we'll get the players we're after. What is good, is the way our club are going about the recruitment.

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
i still feel we are 3 or 4 players short of having a really good squad to challenge for top 6 looking at the team at moment i would say mid table

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
i still feel we are 3 or 4 players short of having a really good squad to challenge for top 6 looking at the team at moment i would say mid table

isn't everyone saying that ? club, fans, barber, hyypia, burke ? bloom ? media ? - not finished yet.

"Rest assured, we will continue to work through our target list and will do our very best to secure the players Sami wants as quickly as the deals can be done.
via t http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/article/transfer-window-update-1788668.aspx#OztBkpiqKkg01pRb.99

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
We've certainly over achieved the last two seasons. With the budget we have, 10 sides still getting parachute payments, a new manager and playing style, if we get 10th or higher I'd regard it as a very successful season. Thankfully our owner, CEO and manager are aiming higher. A few more players in I may agree with them. Keep working hard Paul, Tony and David!

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
We've certainly over achieved the last two seasons. With the budget we have, 10 sides still getting parachute payments, a new manager and playing style, if we get 10th or higher I'd regard it as a very successful season. Thankfully our owner, CEO and manager are aiming higher. A few more players in I may agree with them. Keep working hard Paul, Tony and David!

I think you're absolutely right, I said mid-table last season so was pleasantly surprised. What I din't do is modify my expectations as the season progreses, I always keep in mind what I reckoned at the start. I do think a lot of people change theirs as the season progresses, we win a couple and all of a sudden a play-off place is demanded.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
isn't everyone saying that ? club, fans, barber, hyypia, burke ? bloom ? media ? - not finished yet.

It's incredible isn't it?

The club issues a statement saying what is happening, and that they are aware of concerns, that they've identified targets, that they're on the case etc. etc., and people are still grizzling - 'we need 3 or 4 players...' etc as if not only the club didn't know this, but as if the club didn't effectively just say that.

RTFA.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
You can't argue with what Barber has been said and the message re-enforced but I have to say what a nauseating thread this is. There is a mixture of posts almost comparing these musings to the Oracle of Delphi, a sprinking of sense but another chance for the usual dullards to use that god awful Bed wetting phrase.

I think I'm going to take a break from NSC until the first game has been played and we can all argue about how shit our summer signings have been after 90 minutes of competitive action that half of us won't even witness because we are on holiday. Either that or a proper binfest when Cheltenham turn us over 0-3. Then we can have a proper go at each other. There is only so many ways we can all say the same things - i.e that 3,4 or 5 players is the requirement, ideally for next Saturday, hopefully for 1st Sept and definitely for the loan window.

Roll on Sheffield Wednesday. If it doesn't get called off because of Peppa Pig that is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here