Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Adam Clayton saga - now officially signed for Middlesbrough

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I get the impression that this is their big push for the Premier League. We had one that was a bit shit or bust that turned to bust a couple of years ago. Now we are going down the sensible route.

I love how NSCers can decide that 1.5 to 2 million was an OK deal for Clayton but 3 million is too much. How the hell would any of us know that??

The difference between the two prices is around what we paid for Sockdale. I imagine given we have other targets the club have a threshold on each deal. I am I guessing the multiple leaking of the deal was by an agent on a cut who has successfully ramped up the price.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Deal worth £3 mill according to Graeme Bailey lol! No wonder we passed on this one in the end

Nah he's saying it's 3 mil with butter field going the other way (500k of it). So it's actually 2.5 mil - 1.5 mil at first plus add ons

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
How on earth can Boro afford £3m and comply to FFP? I know they've got rid of some deadwood but they get shit crowds, have very little commercial income, and are without parachute payments.. I don't get it. Getting rid of some deadwood can't have freed up that much cash, surely?

They'll do well this year with Karanka and their £££,

I guess different clubs have different strategies on FFP. Some owners may be prepared to pay big fines and are also preparing for transfer embargos by making sure they are well stocked up with players :shrug:

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Adam Clayton - Brighton cash bid

Nah he's saying it's 3 mil with butter field going the other way (500k of it). So it's actually 2.5 mil - 1.5 mil at first plus add ons

So in other words, the "deal" is 3 mill as I said

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The difference between the two prices is around what we paid for Sockdale. I imagine given we have other targets the club have a threshold on each deal. I am I guessing the multiple leaking of the deal was by an agent on a cut who has successfully ramped up the price.
All sounds very possible, with Tony setting the threshold.

So lets now all burn David Burke at the stake, for being incompetent.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
So, fee agreed, medical complete and personal terms allegedly agreed.....

.....whys he not signed For Boro yet?.

albionite

May 20, 2009
No idea if Huddersfields fan has any more inside knowledge than the average brighton fan but if this guy is close to the mark no wonder we will miss out on Clayton.

Lifted this from their site.

'I would second that. There is a reason why this move is taking so long. Boro want to do a part ex, Butterfield not certain about coming here, not sure they will do all cash depends on who you believe. Brighton supposedly willing to do cash only but are they willing to pay as much?

On top of that if Clayts really is holding out for 20k a week he may not get that from either of them.

I think it is in our best interest to sell him if he will not sign an extension so I hope he is out of here as soon as possible.

Read more: http://www.downatthemac.proboards.com/thread/91908/clayton?page=25#ixzz39dz2ldgU'

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No idea if Huddersfields fan has any more inside knowledge than the average brighton fan but if this guy is close to the mark no wonder we will miss out on Clayton.

Lifted this from their site.

'I would second that. There is a reason why this move is taking so long. Boro want to do a part ex, Butterfield not certain about coming here, not sure they will do all cash depends on who you believe. Brighton supposedly willing to do cash only but are they willing to pay as much?

On top of that if Clayts really is holding out for 20k a week he may not get that from either of them.

I think it is in our best interest to sell him if he will not sign an extension so I hope he is out of here as soon as possible.

Read more: http://www.downatthemac.proboards.com/thread/91908/clayton?page=25#ixzz39dz2ldgU'

That would make a lot of sense. It also shows why transfers are complicated and take time.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
It will be interesting to see where Forest and Middlesbrough are regarding transfers in January. Wonder whether they know they are shedloads over the £8m limit for 13/14 (year ended 30.6.14) so getting in now before they are excluded.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
It will be interesting to see where Forest and Middlesbrough are regarding transfers in January. Wonder whether they know they are shedloads over the £8m limit for 13/14 (year ended 30.6.14) so getting in now before they are excluded.

They are heading for a transfer embago in January.

However, if they go up in May the embago does not apply to a PL club, so a big FIVE months of embago time.

They may even dodge the fine, as the embago was their penalty.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

They are heading for a transfer embago in January.

However, if they go up in May the embago does not apply to a PL club, so a big FIVE months of embago time.

They may even dodge the fine, as the embago was their penalty.

Would they worry about a transfer embargo as they will have already signed the players they want.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Would they worry about a transfer embargo as they will have already signed the players they want.

They should be, what if they don't go up? My understanding is (and I could be wrong) that under an embargo, they cannot buy or SELL platers until their accounts are back in order.

That would mean the only way they can bring them back in order is by releasing players. If they are unwilling to do this they could be frozen out of any transfers for years.

Players would be wise to consider this before signing as well, as they may just be stuck at that club until the end of their contract.

That's how I see it anyway.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
They should be, what if they don't go up? My understanding is (and I could be wrong) that under an embargo, they cannot buy or SELL platers until their accounts are back in order.

That would mean the only way they can bring them back in order is by releasing players. If they are unwilling to do this they could be frozen out of any transfers for years.

Players would be wise to consider this before signing as well, as they may just be stuck at that club until the end of their contract.

Can you see that happening? That a club cannot sell players because of an embargo? This can seriously put a club at risk financially. You expect clubs to release there only assets(players) for nothing to satisfy FFP? Sorry i cannot see that happening in a million years.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM

No, you can sell players to get accounts back in order.
Wether you will then get a fair price we will have to wait and see.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here