Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Adam Clayton saga - now officially signed for Middlesbrough

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
They should be, what if they don't go up? My understanding is (and I could be wrong) that under an embargo, they cannot buy or SELL platers until their accounts are back in order.

That would mean the only way they can bring them back in order is by releasing players. If they are unwilling to do this they could be frozen out of any transfers for years.

Players would be wise to consider this before signing as well, as they may just be stuck at that club until the end of their contract.

That's how I see it anyway.

I think the situation is that they can sell players but can't sign anyone or renew an existing contract if a player becomes out of contract until they have brought the club back within the FFP criteria.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Once again everybody putting all there hope in FFP actually working, personally can't see it just have to wait and see but don't think it will be the saviour many think it will be

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Can you see that happening? That a club cannot sell players because of an embargo? This can seriously put a club at risk financially. You expect clubs to release there only assets(players) for nothing to satisfy FFP? Sorry i cannot see that happening in a million years.
No I can't see it happening, mainly because I think it will fail at the first legal challenge. Yes clubs will be at risk, if they fail to get rid of the players but its not ffp that put them at risk, its their ownership and bad management for spending what they haven't got.
No, you can sell players to get accounts back in order.
Wether you will then get a fair price we will have to wait and see.
Fair enough, thanks for putting me straight, like you say getting a fair price would be almost impossible and you still can't sign anyone until the embargo has been lifted.
I think the situation is that they can sell players but can't sign anyone or renew an existing contract if a player becomes out of contract until they have brought the club back within the FFP criteria.
Thanks again for info.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
They are heading for a transfer embago in January.

However, if they go up in May the embago does not apply to a PL club, so a big FIVE months of embago time.

They may even dodge the fine, as the embago was their penalty.
If we can be relegated in September I'm pretty sure 'boro (and Forest) can be promoted by January.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
"Jacob Butterfield due for Huddersfield talks - but not as part of Adam Clayton swap deal"

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/jacob-butterfield-adam-clayton-huddersfield-7575160

Agents and bidding war

They are now set to allow Clayton to complete his move.

It will end a frustrating few days for Boro bosses.

They finally agreed a deal for Clayton on Tuesday after a summer long pursuit and weeks of wrangling.

Boro were said to have “gone cold” on the deal after Brighton expressed an interest and Town and the player’s agent tried to spark a bidding war for a player in the last year of his contract.

But when the player told Town his preferred option was Boro, club chiefs made a concerted effort to push it through.

May 18, 2013
They are heading for a transfer embago in January.

However, if they go up in May the embago does not apply to a PL club, so a big FIVE months of embago time.

They may even dodge the fine, as the embago was their penalty.

Not sure that Middlesbrough will be. Their spending has been this summer and so won't be scrutinised until December 2015 as the football financial year runs until end of June. Therefore any embargos wouldn't come into play until January 2016 by which time they could be up. Also, by then they will have seen this year how much bite FFP has and may have seen how it can be avoided. Clever tactic.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
so it looks like we pushed his price up and Boro paid up
all is good then!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Agents and bidding war

They are now set to allow Clayton to complete his move.

It will end a frustrating few days for Boro bosses.

They finally agreed a deal for Clayton on Tuesday after a summer long pursuit and weeks of wrangling.

Boro were said to have “gone cold” on the deal after Brighton expressed an interest and Town and the player’s agent tried to spark a bidding war for a player in the last year of his contract.

But when the player told Town his preferred option was Boro, club chiefs made a concerted effort to push it through.

So Clayton preferred to stay up North and his agent falsely inflated the price, stitching up journalists and fans alike in the process. Net result? Boro have paid way over the odds for a player that we strictly didn't need.

Let's get on with finding replacements for Ulloa and Ward. That's what's going to kill us.

Mar 2, 2014
Clayton for £3million would have been a joke. The club made the right decision not pursuing this, and in reality, I don't want us paying the sort of fees that clubs are asking. Our approach is the proper one, and if it means missing out on players because we won't pay silly money, then so be it. I prefer that than ending up back at the Priestfield as the worst run club in the football league. It wasn't that long ago we were there.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
#FFSNaylor :jester:

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Clayton for £3million would have been a joke. The club made the right decision not pursuing this, and in reality, I don't want us paying the sort of fees that clubs are asking. Our approach is the proper one, and if it means missing out on players because we won't pay silly money, then so be it. I prefer that than ending up back at the Priestfield as the worst run club in the football league. It wasn't that long ago we were there.

It may also mean missing out on promotion.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
So Clayton preferred to stay up North and his agent falsely inflated the price, stitching up journalists and fans alike in the process. Net result? Boro have paid way over the odds for a player that we strictly didn't need.

Let's get on with finding replacements for Ulloa and Ward. That's what's going to kill us.

Couldnt agree more!

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Let's not be too hasty here with celebrating not signing Clayton, it could only take a couple of months and his value could rise further, think about when we missed Grabban who was sold 4 months later for 3 times what we had offered. Yes 'Boro have spent money, but they've got themselves a good player.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

The club has moved on, as have fans expectations. Championship mediocrity will struggle to satisfy the hopes of many fans, in my opinion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here