Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Adam Clayton saga - now officially signed for Middlesbrough

Eston hills

Aug 6, 2014
Clayton for £3million would have been a joke. The club made the right decision not pursuing this, and in reality, I don't want us paying the sort of fees that clubs are asking. Our approach is the proper one, and if it means missing out on players because we won't pay silly money, then so be it. I prefer that than ending up back at the Priestfield as the worst run club in the football league. It wasn't that long ago we were there.

Where has the 3m come from a northern echo journalist (which isn't our local paper). As it states in our local paper the evening gazette today. The deal is 1.5 million potentionally rising to 2m with add ons. Butterfield is not part of the deal but is travelling in a seperate deal to Huddersfield today and Boro value him at 1m.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

But when the player told Town his preferred option was Boro, club chiefs made a concerted effort to push it through.

Gone right off him now, feck off to Boro you thick bearded Northern ****. Dodged a bullet there :wink:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
They are heading for a transfer embago in January.

However, if they go up in May the embago does not apply to a PL club, so a big FIVE months of embago time.

They may even dodge the fine, as the embago was their penalty.

They may well avoid the pain of the embargo if they already have the players they want before January. However, if they get promoted in May, then they need to show that their accounts for this coming season (due to be submitted in Dec 15) fall within the FFP limits. If not, they then get a fine. The embargo is the punishment for breach of last seasons limits and, assuming they can't turn around a massive deficit in one season, a fine for breaching this season, assuming they get promoted. If no promotion, they continue with the transfer embargo during the summer and potentially longer!

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Clayton for £3million would have been a joke. The club made the right decision not pursuing this, and in reality, I don't want us paying the sort of fees that clubs are asking. Our approach is the proper one, and if it means missing out on players because we won't pay silly money, then so be it. I prefer that than ending up back at the Priestfield as the worst run club in the football league. It wasn't that long ago we were there.

I agree it's the proper approach not to go throwing silly money around but I'm not convinced under investing in the squad is the right approach either, There has to be a fine balance that doesn't leave you starting the season on the back foot because of the lack of signings and a small squad.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Or top half of championship with occasional rise into prem. seems pretty good to me. We're never going to be manure

Correct, and I'm sure pretty much everyone who follows the Albion is aware of this, but as it stands we're going to start the season with a very average squad. I don't understand why people are making out it's a good thing that we've lost out on a long term target :shrug: we need to strengthen, they may occasionally involve spending a little more than the club had planned to, otherwise we're going to struggle to land any of our targets.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Still no confirmation Boro have paid £3m for Clayton, or have I missed this?

No sense in the sour grapes though. Let's not kid ourselves, we've missed a very good signing. In my view he's consistently one of the best midfielders of his type in the Championship. We may of course have an even better signing lined up before August 31 but for anyone to suggest Clayton is massively overrated and would have failed to complement our team, is just deluded.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
With Crofts, Ince. Toko and Stephens there's no way on this earth we need Clayton.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Where has the 3m come from a northern echo journalist (which isn't our local paper). As it states in our local paper the evening gazette today. The deal is 1.5 million potentionally rising to 2m with add ons. Butterfield is not part of the deal but is travelling in a seperate deal to Huddersfield today and Boro value him at 1m.

This. £1.5m for a decent player that has regularly performed well with it rising to £2m, if we got promotion for instance, I thin is a good deal. We have missed out but I have said this for months now. All we are going to get is loan signings and they will probably over 32 years old. It is b******s and will lead to fans leaving. I will be surprised if loads of match day tickets will sell.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
With Crofts, Ince. Toko and Stephens there's no way on this earth we need Clayton.

That's quite a crystal ball you have there!

Stephens is injured and we have no idea when he will be fully match fit or how he'll recover from such a nasty injury. Toko is yet to start a competitive match in the Football League. An unknown quantity. Ince has great potential but a few cracks appeared at the back end of last season.

Please understand, I really hope all three are on fire this season. But to assume all will shine and we have an abundance of riches in midfield seems a little optimistic at this stage...

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood

Exactly,I'd say Clayton and Stephens are identical types of player and Stephens injury wont last forever so the money could be better spent elswhere. What we need in midfield is an Orlandi replacement.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
We already have better players than Clayton.
He's not that good anyway. That's why City and Leeds both got shot of him.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
We already have better players than Clayton.
He's not that good anyway. That's why City and Leeds both got shot of him.

But he's been a success at Huddersfield and both ourselves and 'Boro wanted him. Let's not pretend he's rubbish because we couldn't sign him.
For the record I think we already have enough central midfielders, what we desperately need are creative attacking players like Anthony Pilkington. Oh and a striker, a left back and probably a centre back.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Not too fussed about missing out on a midfielder.

We need a 20+ goal striker and a left back more urgently.

Concentrate on those 2 and then boost the midfield with loans if necessary.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
He isn't rubbish. But we have better.
Stephens and March are our creativity in midfield with Cos as a creative forward. We don't need more.
Ward at left back will complete the defence.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Oh, and if Agustien gets fit and pulls his weight, we are more than sorted in that area.
Clayton isn't fit to clean a fully-prepared Agustien's boots.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here