Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Introduce a Personal Favourite Album of Yours

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
You See Colours - Delays. Fantastic guitar driven pop, no fillers at all. Still amazed that they could fit that many catchy tunes in one album
Light & Magic - Ladytron. One for the electro heads - perfect uber cool electro from Liverpool
Shakespear Alabama - Diesel Park West. Classic late 80's driving rock from Leicester
0898 - Beautiful South
Big Calm - Morcheeba.

I suppose 'Happiness' by the Beloved is too 'big' to be on the list too??

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Talking of Portishead, Geoff Barrow played drums on an album that I adored. It's a self-titled album by a German/English woman called Anika. The album sounds like Nico singing 60s girl band tunes with a very heavy dub. Got to be heard to be believed. This album is criminally neglected IMO.

Trelford Mills Guide Dog

Jun 14, 2008
image.jpg

This is simply bloody marvellous.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Yep. Most definitely. Rustin Man is ex-Talk Talk and it really doesn't surprise me that the album sounds the way it does if you listen to it after Talk Talk's last 2 albums. Can I add them too? I've always thought they deserve a huge audience.

Incidentally, Beth Gibbons' last musical contributions that I heard was guesting on a black metal track. Gonga, I think it was called.

I forgot he's Talk Talk as well. Their last two records are the definition of underappreciated masterpiece. Seeing as you like those two records, did you get on with Field of Reeds, the last These New Puritans album?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I forgot he's Talk Talk as well. Their last two records are the definition of underappreciated masterpiece. Seeing as you like those two records, did you get on with Field of Reeds, the last These New Puritans album?

I'm going to confess to not having heard it, I don't think. But..on your recommendation I'm going to rectify that tonight.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Joan Osbourne - Relish
From1996, a terrific bluesy, quirkie, album, including the hit single What if God was one of us

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
My pleasure - watch out for the guitar solo in "Over The Ocean" - it'll blow your socks off. See if you can learn it! :thumbsup:

If you like this, try Secret Name although I think their output has declined subsequently although their next two albums -- Things We Lost in the Fire and another whose title I forget -- were excellent too.
If you like this, you might even like Elliott Smith, who I mentioned in post 2.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Camembert Electrique by Gong is a masterpiece IMO.
For something else then try either Rearview Mirror Tears or Alright Dynamite by Kendal Carson.

I can't promise the earth on these, but I think they are excellent, and listen to them all the time.

red star portslade

Jul 8, 2012
Hove innit
A few more spring to mind

Wiseguys - The Executive Suite
Lovage - Music To Make Love To Your Old Lady By
Mila Jovovich - The Divine Comedy (I kid you not. I love this album)
David Lynch - Crazy Clown Time
ediT - Crying Over Pros For No Reason
Sun City Girls - Funeral Mariachi
JJ - No 3
Beth Gibbons and Rustin Man - Out of Season

Without doubt my all time favourite album. From listening to Lovage, I discovered the beauty of Jennifer Charles and her band Elysian Fields.

This taken from the Album - Last night on earth

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
From A Basement On A Hill is superb. There's a new film out about him soon apparently.

Thanks for the film tip :thumbsup:
His entire output is brilliant, though I prefer his eponymous album, along with Either/Or and XO best. Was very fragile live, but could be brilliant -- especially when covering 'I'm So Tired'.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
If you like Talk Talk's Spirit of Eden, you might like Erik K Skodvin's new Flame LP on Sonicpeices. Not found a stream for you, sorry. It's a haunting instrumental soundscape, presumably heavily influenced by Spirit Of Eden.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Says the bloke who thinks it clever to pick Desmond Tutu up for his bad use of grammar.

2qmerrq.jpg

You dug that up just for me? Are you the saddest man on the planet?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
You dug that up just for me? Are you the saddest man on the planet?

No, I think you are - the person getting their kicks from picking holes in the grammar of a Nobel prize winner, that's why I remembered it - and it was less than a month ago, hardly 'digging it up'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here