Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The worst violence you have witnessed at a Brighton game ?

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Judging by some of the threads on here it would appear that last night's behaviour by Millwall fans was amongst the worse you have ever seen?
Obviously a lot worse has been observed over the years, so in your opinions what is the worst violence you have ever seen at a Brighton match ?

For me it has to be the visit of Chelsea in September 83.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
Seen loads unfortunately, again Millwall spring to mind at the old den play off game, we beat them to play Notts county at wembley and their fans went f***ing mental. Glasses thrown and I was punched at Pompey the year Redknapp was in charge and they went to the prem. Canvey island cup game afterwards when apparently loads of west ham kicked off with us big style. But I vividly remember ( because it was so up close and personal) was coming back from a league game at chelsea's. Stamford bridge late 80's. We lost, and coming back to Sussex there were still loads of Chelsea on the train. I wandered into the buffet carriage and it was what i can only describe as a Mexican stand off between Brighton and Chelsea fans. I walked out of the carriage shitting myself. It seemed my shutting the door was a catalyst for a rumble. Because the door flew open and the whole carriage was a sea of flailing arms and legs in the biggest fight in a confined space you can imagine. It's still ingrained in my memory, especially the poor guy who has a broken coke can repeatedly gouged into his face. The train was stopped and Chelsea fans booted off. Just horrible

Sent by Derek Acorah via the spirit world.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Luton away JPT when some **** hit my mate with a knuckle duster and fractured his eye socket.
The little prick scapa'd before we could do anything.
OB f***ing useless as per.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
On a personal level I was thoroughly beaten up and (according to witnesses) repeatedly kicked in the face whilst unconscious on the floor fellow by Brighton "fans" in September 1994 when I had left a wedding to see us draw with Oxford. I was wearing a half decent suit and I remember clear as day (as I tried to run for the shelter of "The Exchange") "SUIT ****, SUIT **** .... KILL HIM, KILL HIM KILL HIM" .... not nice

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
West Ham home (1978?) which was an all dayer starting in the town centre
Arsenal home (1979)

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Well I can't believe for one minute Tuesday night was anywhere near as bad as the violence at many matches during the late seventies and early eighties. Spurs spring to mind in 78 when violence in the ground spilled over on to the pitch causing a delay in the game. Against Arsenal in 79/80 in the cup when their meatheads turned up in the Northstand resplendent in their donkey jackets and caused mayhem with Brighton fans escaping by climbing over the cage fencing. And finally Chelsea in the Eighties where there was a massive pitch invasion. Virtually every game there were fights on the terraces and walking across Hove Park, you viewed every away fan with suspicion. On Tuesday, we walked through the Millwall fans at the end on our way to the P & R and whilst there was a bit of an intimidating atmosphere, 30 years ago you would'nt even contemplate mingling with them.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Spurs 78, absolutely no doubt.
This,... it was the worst I have experienced home or away in more than 30 years of active support, even through the days when I was as keen as many on having a little toe to toe at footy.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Most of that was before my time, the worst I have seen at a game was the end of the last match of the season against Sheffield United

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here