Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Obscure" US TV choices - recommendations please

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
I highly recommend Narcos. Very dramatic and surprisingly most of it is true, every episode will leave you on Wikipedia thinking,' that can't have really happened'.
If you enjoyed that I would recommend reading the book 'Escobar' by his brother Robert Escobar. A great insight into just how he built and maintained his business. 7th richest man in the world, and lost some 10% of his money each year as it was A. damaged by water B. eaten by mice and C. he just forgot where it was buried!!

n.b link to book , but buy via NSC link

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Escobar-Rob...&qid=1455264708&sr=8-1&keywords=Pablo+escobar

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
....C. he just forgot where it was buried

Is it next to the Cup Final money? :)

The series I've just started watching is Occupied. It's not US but Norwegian based on the intriguing premise that a Green government in Norway has stopped all oil and gas production and the EU and Russia have teamed up to take over the country. It looks good so far: implausible but enough reality to make it watchable

Saturn

Vicarious
Feb 11, 2016
Currently watching Narcos. It’s such a fascinating yet brutal story. The fear that Escobar instilled into his opponents is incredible.

I just finished up Vikings S3 (tremendous) and Homeland S4 (a tale of two halves; the first was actually quite dull and I almost gave up on it but the second rewarded you for soldiering through).

I'm a huge fan of Survivor too, S32 is starting in less than a week!

albionant

Aug 29, 2007
American Crime is worth a watch.

Keep an eye on Vinyl, HBO coming soon, - Mick Jagger, Martin Scorsese and Terence Winter, the pilot episode is directed by Scorsese, based around the Music industry in 70's

New season of House of Cards early March and Walking Dead starts again on Sunday

Not American (or obscure), but if you like documentaries the Storyville series is better than ever.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
From Amazon Prime. Waiting with anticipation for Vikings 4, if they are making it. Just finished Mr Robot,OK worth a watch.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Just finished Mr Robot,OK worth a watch.

Got to say, I've reached the end of Mr Robot season 1, and far from OK, I thought it was the best telly I've watched since Breaking Bad or The Wire. Loved it. It never felt the need to treat the viewer like an idiot, you're left not knowing whether you are supposed to know something or not. It is like Twin Peaks, Fight Club, Wall Street all got together and had a new TV series love child. Nothing is explained, you don't know what is real, what isn't, great characters, leaving me wanting to watch the whole series again. Top marks from me.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Trapped - Icelandic series just started on BBC4. Anyone started watching it and is it any good?

Yeah we saw it, very promising. There are few plot holes (people behaving in ways they just wouldn't in real life) but most series have those. There's a terrific mix of story lines and the weather/environment plays a big part in the story. As it's Nordic, it will get compared with The Killing (and it does have elements of that) but it reminded me of Fargo, the film. There's the same feeling of small town people being overwhelmed by events that's really appealing

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Got to say, I've reached the end of Mr Robot season 1, and far from OK, I thought it was the best telly I've watched since Breaking Bad or The Wire. Loved it. It never felt the need to treat the viewer like an idiot, you're left not knowing whether you are supposed to know something or not. It is like Twin Peaks, Fight Club, Wall Street all got together and had a new TV series love child. Nothing is explained, you don't know what is real, what isn't, great characters, leaving me wanting to watch the whole series again. Top marks from me.

Good news for us Mr Robot converts - Series 2 is supposed to be out in June / July this year

Another series I really recommend is “Penny Dreadful” – Series 3 starts May 1[SUP]st[/SUP]

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Keep an eye on Vinyl, HBO coming soon, - Mick Jagger, Martin Scorsese and Terence Winter, the pilot episode is directed by Scorsese, based around the Music industry in 70's.

Did anyone watch this? Not quite sure what to make of the pilot - a mish-mash of clichés, reality and fiction, and musical eras (even allowing for the confusing flashbacks), but will be interesting to see where it goes. Bemused by the inclusion of Slade and Hurricane Smith, amused at the camp portrayal of Robert Plant.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Just finished watching "Mr Robot" Season 1, watched it all in one go it was so good, can't wait for the second season, thanks to the previous posters for recommending it!

I'm about to start "The Man in the High Castle", again thanks for the recommendation to those who posted about it, looking forward to it!

Good thread!

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Did anyone watch this? Not quite sure what to make of the pilot - a mish-mash of clichés, reality and fiction, and musical eras (even allowing for the confusing flashbacks), but will be interesting to see where it goes. Bemused by the inclusion of Slade and Hurricane Smith, amused at the camp portrayal of Robert Plant.

I turned it off after about 40 minutes.

Robert Plant was given a 'British Rock Star' voice straight out of Spinal Tap, rather than the Wolverhampton accent he has;
A well known piece of footage of Peter Grant chewing out a concert promoter over pirated merchandise was recreated (badly);
Jagger's son played some British punk rocker (In 1973!);
The central character pulled up his limo to listen to some hip hop sounds. (Because coked up record company executives were all interested in what was happening in the Bronx in 1973);
The programme thought itself very smart having the characters indicating that bands like England Dan and John Ford Coley were boring, without considering that this type of music was considered to be cutting edge by early seventies American music industry executives;
There was a sneer at Slade, but also a reference to them selling '2 million albums in the UK last year.' To consider how far wrong this statement is, bear in mind that 'Bat Out of Hell took twenty one years to sell 2.9 million albums in the UK!

Overall it felt like this was written by Mitchell & Webb's 'Lazy Researcher Writer' characters. I found it hard to believe believe that Scorcese had anything to do with it.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

Robert Plant was given a 'British Rock Star' voice straight out of Spinal Tap, rather than the Wolverhampton accent he has;
A well known piece of footage of Peter Grant chewing out a concert promoter over pirated merchandise was recreated (badly);
The central character pulled up his limo to listen to some hip hop sounds. (Because coked up record company executives were all interested in what was happening in the Bronx in 1973);
The programme thought itself very smart having the characters indicating that bands like England Dan and John Ford Coley were boring, without considering that this type of music was considered to be cutting edge by early seventies American music industry executives;
There was a sneer at Slade, but also a reference to them selling '2 million albums in the UK last year.' To consider how far wrong this statement is, bear in mind that 'Bat Out of Hell took twenty one years to sell 2.9 million albums in the UK!

Overall it felt like this was written by Mitchell & Webb's 'Lazy Researcher Writer' characters. I found it hard to believe believe that Scorcese had anything to do with it.

I have some vinyl by England Dan and John Ford Coley, and very nice it is too! I also have Slade's "Play It Loud", with the original skinhead photo, rather than the later "glam" cover shown being dumped. The final sequence was a surprise (edit: you missed it - imagine a "Physical Graffiti" style building just cracking up and dropping like the twin towers) - I thought the building collapse was in his drug-addled brain, but I knew he would walk out with barely a scratch. Dumb and definitely lazy. Not a patch on Californication, but neither is the X-Files.

A shout out to Broad City - very fresh and funny

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean

Thought its was good viewing myself with a great soundtrack. But I'm watching it for entertainment rather than a boring history lesson of 70's record sale stats.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Then enjoy the shiny thing.

Sorry for this PBS. It was dismissive of your view and you are entitled to like what you like without someone belittling it. I am a pedant on most subjects and am particularly demanding when it comes to music. Its easy to assume that everyone else knows and cares about the minutiae as much as I do and I was annoyed by its shoddy concern for the true history. On reflection, it occurs that, had they got everything bar one detail spot on, I would have focused on the one detail. I really should have been more self aware and not watched it in the first place.

Enjoy it. I understand that the series is meant to be a crime drama set against the backdrop of the industry and, given his pedigree, I am sure that Scorcese will make a good crime drama.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Has anyone seen the documentary series, "Making a Murderer"?

Is it good?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here