Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Had 10 days of fatigue after second astra jab. Decided to sit it out. Feeling more enrgy today so will have a return jog along the prom soon followed by a swim.

Enjoy Beat The Tide but unfortunatley it's the day before the Brigthon Phoenix 10K on Hove Prom 7:30pm Wednesday 14 July Places available https://brightonphoenix.org.uk/our-events/phoenix-10k/

The Weakest Link 2021 on 23 June is looking doubtful especially as the date is before the hopeful resumption of Parkrun on the 26th June.
This is their recent statement; Covid News - Event on hold for the moment, waiting for the all clear from the council that covid levels aren’t too high.

Whilst we are on the subject of the benefits of cross training to achieve running goals, what is the bike race in Wales?

The Dragon ride. Various distances – all pretty tough, I think. If I carry on the way I am, I'll be relying on running fitness, which isn't great. Time to break out the bike...

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Tried something very different for me Saturday on the track at Withdean.

The session was 5x 300 metres with 5 minutes rest.

Sounds easy, but running at all out effort definitely took it out of me.

The recovery helps maintain speed and quality and I’d argue I’d have got similar or the same result with a 4 minute rest, but interesting to run that type of session.

My 300 laps were 50, 51, 50, 50, 52

I’d like to try it again at some point, to see if I can take some seconds off. Good to know I could keep up with Kipchoge too, if he was running a marathon.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Tried something very different for me Saturday on the track at Withdean.

The session was 5x 300 metres with 5 minutes rest.

Sounds easy, but running at all out effort definitely took it out of me.

The recovery helps maintain speed and quality and I’d argue I’d have got similar or the same result with a 4 minute rest, but interesting to run that type of session.

My 300 laps were 50, 51, 50, 50, 52

I’d like to try it again at some point, to see if I can take some seconds off. Good to know I could keep up with Kipchoge too, if he was running a marathon.

4”13sec Barkley 1500m. Good pace.
Not quite related but I’ve had Katie W as session coach this year. She’s unable to run the recoveries slow. We all follow at own pace but it encourages a faster recovery. I found I was doing the recoveries ranging from 2-4 minutes at 7:30 to 8:00 mile pace. 30 secs off tempo. Seemed ideal workout for me.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
4”13sec Barkley 1500m. Good pace.
Not quite related but I’ve had Katie W as session coach this year. She’s unable to run the recoveries slow. We all follow at own pace but it encourages a faster recovery. I found I was doing the recoveries ranging from 2-4 minutes at 7:30 to 8:00 mile pace. 30 secs off tempo. Seemed ideal workout for me.

Could have been a Barkley Magic Mile of 4:30. Garmin asked if I wanted to accept 4:30 as a mile PB after the session but reluctantly turned it down.

Sounds like a good track session for you yesterday, I’ll be back again tomorrow for a more standard 12 laps in intervals TBD. 5 minute recoveries will not be on the menu though.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Seen an old boy and his wife regularly running by the King Alfred. Ran alongside and had a chat today. It’s Hugh Foord! The champion oldest park runner. He talked effortlessly to say he’s with Brighton AC and started there in 1943.
Hugh is 91. What a f**#^%g hero!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Seen an old boy and his wife regularly running by the King Alfred. Ran alongside and had a chat today. It’s Hugh Foord! The champion oldest park runner. He talked effortlessly to say he’s with Brighton AC and started there in 1943.

I hope I'm still running at 91!

Anchorman

Oct 19, 2007
Was talking to Jog Shop Sam last night who said that the Weakest Link wouldn’t happen before park run restarted (as alluded to by the Gaffer) so the June date is effectively postponed. They are now looking at having it 2 weeks later on July 7, but again of course that will come with caveats depending on what happens! I said they ought to get some info updated on their website and FB page so people knew what was going on.

I was doing hill reps in the park opposite me. I wouldn’t say that I’ve lost my mojo in the last year or so, more I helped it put its coat on and waved it off at the door! It started with the ‘run slower to get faster’ philosophy which I rather took too literally, thinking my body would benefit from months off from any faster running as there were no events to aim for anyway. I seem to be a long way off the sort of parkrun speed I could still manage before it shut down, and of course plodding seems so much more enjoyable than gasping for air. I’m hoping when things start to reopen and I see my times in black and white I might wave my mojo back in!!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Was talking to Jog Shop Sam last night who said that the Weakest Link wouldn’t happen before park run restarted (as alluded to by the Gaffer) so the June date is effectively postponed. They are now looking at having it 2 weeks later on July 7, but again of course that will come with caveats depending on what happens! I said they ought to get some info updated on their website and FB page so people knew what was going on.

I was doing hill reps in the park opposite me. I wouldn’t say that I’ve lost my mojo in the last year or so, more I helped it put its coat on and waved it off at the door! It started with the ‘run slower to get faster’ philosophy which I rather took too literally, thinking my body would benefit from months off from any faster running as there were no events to aim for anyway. I seem to be a long way off the sort of parkrun speed I could still manage before it shut down, and of course plodding seems so much more enjoyable than gasping for air. I’m hoping when things start to reopen and I see my times in black and white I might wave my mojo back in!!

Good work. I'd love to have seen Sam's face when you said he needs to update his website and facebook page. :angry:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

And talking of old gits. We were due to have a head-to-head on 13th at the Worthing 10K. Since this was set up the 10K has been postponed and I've been crocked (Achilles) and so have you (many and various).

I just wondered if it was worth running the challenge. Clearly we'd be off the pace but we might be equally off the pace, so it still could be close. We don't have to run the actual course (I can't imagine them closing the roads) but could do something similar along proms (me Worthing, you Brighton) at roughly the same time of day on the 13th.

Of course there's no point if it won't be close, so cards on table, I'd predict that I'd be around an AG of 72%. If you think you are well north or south of that then we won't have any real competitive edge and it's not really worth the bother. It also might not ft into your current training goals.

Just a thought to spice up the next week or so, and, even better, a chance to find new injuries.

What do you think?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
And talking of old gits. We were due to have a head-to-head on 13th at the Worthing 10K. Since this was set up the 10K has been postponed and I've been crocked (Achilles) and so have you (many and various).

I just wondered if it was worth running the challenge. Clearly we'd be off the pace but we might be equally off the pace, so it still could be close. We don't have to run the actual course (I can't imagine them closing the roads) but could do something similar along proms (me Worthing, you Brighton) at roughly the same time of day on the 13th.

Of course there's no point if it won't be close, so cards on table, I'd predict that I'd be around an AG of 72%. If you think you are well north or south of that then we won't have any real competitive edge and it's not really worth the bother. It also might not ft into your current training goals.

Just a thought to spice up the next week or so, and, even better, a chance to find new injuries.

What do you think?

You've thrown down the gauntlet and won!

I cannot take up the challenge. I LOSE because I have a track meet at Lewes on June 14th for Sussex Vets. A choice of over 50's races of 800m or 3000m follwed by a 4X400m relay leg (in July they have an over 60s 1500m which I'm looking forward to).
I can pencil in the 19th/20th?

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
You've thrown down the gauntlet and won!

I cannot take up the challenge. I LOSE because I have a track meet at Lewes on June 14th for Sussex Vets. A choice of over 50's races of 800m or 3000m follwed by a 4X400m relay leg (in July they have an over 60s 1500m which I'm looking forward to).
I can pencil in the 19th/20th?

OK, let's go for it. It'll have to be the Sunday if we try to do it on the same day.. I'll be doing mine as (with a small modification*) 2 x the Worthing Parkrun course.

You are likely to be either

a) injured or
b) sharp as a tack after those events.

Hoping it's not a) but fearing it might well be b), will it be competitive? Even with the extra week I can't see me anywhere better than 73/74%. However, I'll take any beating like a man. And it'll give me something to train for.

Cheers!

*the small modification is to just run it once!

Last edited:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
OK, let's go for it. It'll have to be the Sunday if we try to do it on the same day.. I'll be doing mine as (with a small modification*) 2 x the Worthing Parkrun course.

You are likely to be either

a) injured or
b) sharp as a tack after those events.

Hoping it's not a) but fearing it might well be b), will it be competitive? Even with the extra week I can't see me anywhere better than 73/74%. However, I'll take any beating like a man. And it'll give me something to train for.

Cheers!

*the small modification is to just run it once!

Oh gawd it’s a challenge. I’ll just run to the marina return which is a perfect 10k distance
Might as well adopt the rule used by my school rival that an injury absence counts as a loss.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Oh gawd it’s a challenge. I’ll just run to the marina return which is a perfect 10k distance
Might as well adopt the rule used by my school rival that an injury absence counts as a loss.

I think we can be a tad more forgiving in our 60s, maybe? The danger being that one - or both of us - will turn up to the start carrying an injury and then make it worse. Mind you, come to think of it, a 'defeat' doesn't mean much anyway!

Right, I'm off to consult my 'Boxer's Book of Trash Talk'........................:smile:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I think we can be a tad more forgiving in our 60s, maybe? The danger being that one - or both of us - will turn up to the start carrying an injury and then make it worse. Mind you, come to think of it, a 'defeat' doesn't mean much anyway!

Right, I'm off to consult my 'Boxer's Book of Trash Talk'........................:smile:

I’m off to have my calves pummelled ����

Precautionary visit for slight twinge near the dreaded soleus.

Last edited:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I’ve been pummelled back into shape. Calf problems caused by the two muscles below getting tighter and tighter. Never heard of them. Support muscles so I’ll be jogging this weekend and back to track sessions Monday.

46E43AD4-F3F0-4469-8427-3E063C2D4FB6.jpeg

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Morning all! This weather's lovely and all that but it's a bit full on for running, even early mornings. Trying to keep the mutt away from pavements as much as possible, so we've stayed near the river, which has been really nice. Sunday morning I stumbled across people racing with 'UK Ultra' branding and it was only afterwards that I realised there was a 100km race from Arundel to Eastbourne going on! Obviously lower profile than the Centurion mob and I think this year was the first one. Seriously tempted for next year though.

Speaking of races, I went crazy (for me) and signed up for two yesterday: Beat the Tide – one of the very few 10ks I can get onboard with – and Beachy Head Marathon. I think I'm done with Brighton and I missed the virtual London cutoff, so that's the Autumn goal, as well as a bike race in Wales, but this isn't the thread for that sort of chat :lolol:

Meanwhile, I've also realised that if Weakest Link goes ahead on 23rd June, I'll have that and then one of Sussex Trail Events' 5in5 marathons the next day. Great planning! Stick me in the C team, Gaffer...

I marshalled at the 100k (at Botolphs), seemed to go very well for a first time event.......hopefully going to run it next year.

Haven’t done Beachy Head for a couple of years so might well go for that - problem is it’s usually on a matchday......

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I’ve been pummelled back into shape. Calf problems caused by the two muscles below getting tighter and tighter. Never heard of them. Support muscles so I’ll be jogging this weekend and back to track sessions Monday.

View attachment 137378

Hope that has done the trick for you.

I ran a 10K in very benign conditions to establish a 'base camp' for further improvement in the Everest that awaits: 49.25 (71.30% AG). A bit disappointing. What a horrible bloody distance the 10k is.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Hope that has done the trick for you.

I ran a 10K in very benign conditions to establish a 'base camp' for further improvement in the Everest that awaits: 49.25 (71.30% AG). A bit disappointing. What a horrible bloody distance the 10k is.

Thanks we need to both be fit.

Just spotted an over 60’s track 5k at Lewes on June 14 and that will be the focus during my build up for the Old Git’s Challenge Cup.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Tucked up in bed early in Lynton ready for Exmoor Maverick Ultra in the morning. Weather here is glorious (in contrast to. Right on I hear), and course appears to be spectacular.
Only issue is 35 miles (further than I’ve ever run before)with 2700m of climbing to tackle.
Trying to tell myself it’ll be fun - expecting it to be painful! See you on the other side!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here