Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Page f^^^*** 5 and at least 2 earth shattering runs unreported by NSC boys.....

I'm just dealing with a swimming/allotment injury. After first swim in 6 months Tuesday decided to turn over the contents of three compost bins. Oblique muscle went from the core giving a pain like a broken rib, sore back and tight hams. Ice (Aghh!) and gentle stretching is getting somewhere. Cancelled track as a precaution and seeing physio tomorrow. Hopefully be ready for a crack at a sub 6" Preston Park's April Magic Mile before Wednesday's deadline. Yesterday would have been great with near 30mph easterlies.

Get reporting you laggards!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
My run yesterday morning wasn't really earth-shattering, but it was ego-boosting. I was overtaken by Run Brighton training groups as they went up the Downslink and I went the longer route hugging the river, but I managed to blast past them all on the way back, averaging 7.30ish min miles over eight and a bit, with a hill at the end. Just snuck under eight miles in an hour by two seconds :thumbsup:

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Page f^^^*** 5 and at least 2 earth shattering runs unreported by NSC boys.....

I'm just dealing with a swimming/allotment injury. After first swim in 6 months Tuesday decided to turn over the contents of three compost bins. Oblique muscle went from the core giving a pain like a broken rib, sore back and tight hams. Ice (Aghh!) and gentle stretching is getting somewhere. Cancelled track as a precaution and seeing physio tomorrow. Hopefully be ready for a crack at a sub 6" Preston Park's April Magic Mile before Wednesday's deadline. Yesterday would have been great with near 30mph easterlies.

Get reporting you laggards!

I’m guessing my run yesterday has been deemed as earth shattering. If not I’ll report it anyway.

A new Half Marathon PB of 1:24:23. Raced at Goodwood and a really top event and would recommend to anyone. They cater for distances between 5k & Marathon. The exception being 10 miles which for me is a shame as this is one distance where flat races are rare.

Back to the run, incredibly happy with that time and quicker than I thought, as I didn’t specifically train for the distance. Too many of my runs are either very quick on track or very comfortable. Not enough around the 6:30 pace which is what I was aiming for.

Also good to average exactly 4 minutes per kilometre, so as someone told me afterwards, you ran 4 successive 20 minute park runs plus an extra kilometre and a bit. I was borderline aroused at that stat!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Did anyone else follow the Centurion track 100 on Saturday ? It was beyond ridiculous. Alexsandr Sorokin started off at 6.45 min miling (1m 40 400m laps) and basically barely changed pace at all, took food and drink on the run and smashed the world record, finishing 100 miles in 11.14 and change - and having done that, decided to crack on for another 45 mins to set a world 12 hour best as well. Different planet !

https://www.centurionrunning.com/reports/2021/track-100-2021-race-report

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
I’m guessing my run yesterday has been deemed as earth shattering. If not I’ll report it anyway.

A new Half Marathon PB of 1:24:23. Raced at Goodwood and a really top event and would recommend to anyone. They cater for distances between 5k & Marathon. The exception being 10 miles which for me is a shame as this is one distance where flat races are rare.

Back to the run, incredibly happy with that time and quicker than I thought, as I didn’t specifically train for the distance. Too many of my runs are either very quick on track or very comfortable. Not enough around the 6:30 pace which is what I was aiming for.

Also good to average exactly 4 minutes per kilometre, so as someone told me afterwards, you ran 4 successive 20 minute park runs plus an extra kilometre and a bit. I was borderline aroused at that stat!

Phenomenal- congratulations!

To think I used to run a similar parkrun time to you and now couldn’t finish within 20 mins of a half! And it’s not that I’ve slowed down (much).

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Excellent running big boy. Still defying age and setting challenging pbs. 👏 Hopefully I’ll do a 5k at that pace once this year.
Think my muscle strain is a very painful cracked rib. Seeing the man today and if so will run/swim/cycle through the pain.
I have my school mate Triathlon rival to beat at Arundel in 3 weeks. Should be an interesting run where I’ll have to chase down his near 5” lead in the 9k hilly run.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running

Fantastic running mate and congrats on the PB! It looks like you were able to hold 6:30s all the way which is great. Really strong! Yeah I think incorporating a sprinkle of tempo work at HM effort next time and you'll be set up to go even quicker. Well done!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Phenomenal performance – congratulations big man :clap2::clap2:

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Excellent running big boy. Still defying age and setting challenging pbs. 👏 Hopefully I’ll do a 5k at that pace once this year.
Think my muscle strain is a very painful cracked rib. Seeing the man today and if so will run/swim/cycle through the pain.
I have my school mate Triathlon rival to beat at Arundel in 3 weeks. Should be an interesting run where I’ll have to chase down his near 5” lead in the 9k hilly run.

Ouch! Sorry to hear that Gaffer. Sounds painful. Hopefully it's not a cracked rib and the physio can advise best treatment.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Ouch! Sorry to hear that Gaffer. Sounds painful. Hopefully it's not a cracked rib and the physio can advise best treatment.

All OK. Muscle problem. Few days rest and gentle stretches. Maybe caused by gasping for air on some of the track sessions!
Also have had a burning sensation near ankle. Bit of work done on the anterior posterior tendon and exercises to get the anterior working with the posterior. Result of too much front foot running. Nipped in the bud and I'll soon be ready to go again.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
My run yesterday morning wasn't really earth-shattering, but it was ego-boosting. I was overtaken by Run Brighton training groups as they went up the Downslink and I went the longer route hugging the river, but I managed to blast past them all on the way back, averaging 7.30ish min miles over eight and a bit, with a hill at the end. Just snuck under eight miles in an hour by two seconds :thumbsup:

Good running. Perfect weakest link training and good man for entering this month's virtual Preston Park Magic Mile.
I've locked away all my trainers for 24 hours to ensure I follow physio's orders and do not head out to give it a bash before tonight's 12pm deadline. Shame as my legs are up for it.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Good running. Perfect weakest link training and good man for entering this month's virtual Preston Park Magic Mile.
I've locked away all my trainers for 24 hours to ensure I follow physio's orders and do not head out to give it a bash before tonight's 12pm deadline. Shame as my legs are up for it.

Cheers Gaffer and good luck for the mile attempt.

My run this morning wasn't so good. Took the mutt onto the beach because he loves running on the sand. Unfortunately, there some sinking sand down there and this numpty went down in a bit and rolled my ankle :tosser:

I was able to carry on my run – and hopefully it's not going to be too bad – but it's getting more painful as the day goes on...

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Cheers Gaffer and good luck for the mile attempt.

My run this morning wasn't so good. Took the mutt onto the beach because he loves running on the sand. Unfortunately, there some sinking sand down there and this numpty went down in a bit and rolled my ankle :tosser:

I was able to carry on my run – and hopefully it's not going to be too bad – but it's getting more painful as the day goes on...

Ice Ice Ice. Quick quick quick.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
This morning, I went from Bedford Street to the Pier, along Madeira Drive, up Dukes Mound, along the Butterfly Walk, back on to Madeira Drive and back to Dukes Mound.
In order to get some slopes in, I went back up Dukes Mound and the same circular route back to the bottom of Dukes Mound (Ooh Matron!). I ran this Dukes Mound lap four times before heading back home. 1 hour.
Route roughly as per picture.

Attachments

• Run 28.4.21.JPG
    Run 28.4.21.JPG
    162.4 KB · Views: 72

BiffyBoy100

Apr 20, 2020
Anyone had knee issues from a fall or impact?

I managed to run into a metal bench that was in a lane at the running track whilst looking at my phone and got a pretty bad hit on edge of the metal.

Got an x-ray and all was fine so rested it for a couple of weeks and took anti-inflammatory pills. I'm trying to up the mileage but it's still really sore if I go above 5 miles or run on consecutive days. I'm planning to start training for Berlin in May (next week)

Curious if anyone has recovered from something similar and how they handled increased mileage? - just run through any pain?

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
This morning, I went from Bedford Street to the Pier, along Madeira Drive, up Dukes Mound, along the Butterfly Walk, back on to Madeira Drive and back to Dukes Mound.
In order to get some slopes in, I went back up Dukes Mound and the same circular route back to the bottom of Dukes Mound (Ooh Matron!). I ran this Dukes Mound lap four times before heading back home. 1 hour.
Route roughly as per picture.

Now, that does look like perfect Weakest Link training.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Anyone had knee issues from a fall or impact?

I managed to run into a metal bench that was in a lane at the running track whilst looking at my phone and got a pretty bad hit on edge of the metal.

Got an x-ray and all was fine so rested it for a couple of weeks and took anti-inflammatory pills. I'm trying to up the mileage but it's still really sore if I go above 5 miles or run on consecutive days. I'm planning to start training for Berlin in May (next week)

Curious if anyone has recovered from something similar and how they handled increased mileage? - just run through any pain?

Probably worth seeing a physio- difficult to comment without a proper diagnosis - it’s possibly bursitis or something or similar but a physio would advise both how to treat it and how to manage it whilst healing. Likely a combination of rest/icing/stretches and strengthening exercise will be suggested.

I make it 21 weeks until Berlin so much better to make an intervention now rather than in three months time when your mileage will have increased.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Now, that does look like perfect Weakest Link training.
Excuse my running parlance ignorance, but does that mean if lots of people did it together, people would drop out after getting shagged-out, and the winner would still be up and running, or does this mean something else, like toughening you up to confront Ann Robinson?! :shrug::smile:

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Ooops sorry. The Weakest Link is one of the best running events of the year and pretty much follows the same route -its a semi-competitive team event and lots of fun. NSC runners have entered teams in the last few years and some have performed creditably!

Details here https://www.brightonsports.co.uk/theweakestlink

The Gaffer - [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] does a fantastic job of organising us each year - so good that we all feel he should carry on doing it - and no doubt will start posting for 'expressions of interest ' shortly.

Seriously - its great fun and a chance to enjoy a couple of beers afterwards with others on here.

BiffyBoy100

Apr 20, 2020
Probably worth seeing a physio- difficult to comment without a proper diagnosis - it’s possibly bursitis or something or similar but a physio would advise both how to treat it and how to manage it whilst healing. Likely a combination of rest/icing/stretches and strengthening exercise will be suggested.

I make it 21 weeks until Berlin so much better to make an intervention now rather than in three months time when your mileage will have increased.

Thanks Simgull, I'll see a physio and see what they can do.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here