Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Great North Run (13th September) has been cancelled.

I think everything in 2020 will be. The Beachy organisers were very confident about the race being on until last week and they've admitted that it might not be on. That indicates to me that they've binned it already.

If the new post-covid runners carry on, next year's races could be massive!

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
I am quite surprised that both Manchester (11/10) and Brighton (20/9) have not cancelled again. Dublin was due 25th of October and that has already been cancelled.

At the moment I only have the GSR (18/10) & the Poppy Half (7/11) left on original dates . Next year however is pretty busy already with a few races deferred.

When the CRUK winter run was called off in January I was gutted as the first race I had entered to be cancelled (due to high winds). Little did I know that the Brighton Half will possibly be the only one to go ahead in 2020!!!!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Morning all. Not been on here since lockdown as my password link saved on my work PC. Finally got round to getting it reset so now have access! Not read through the thread yet, its still the only one I really read on NSC, although I did look at the refund on season tickets for this season once I started getting what I thought was random payments from the Albion, but over two days they now make sense and for the first time ever I am in credit on my credit card!

I hope everyone is keeping safe and still running. Still following people through Strava. My mileage is probably the highest its ever been, but I am now trying to switch to more meaningful miles, ie intervals, hills etc rather than plodding the miles. I started this last week with some attempted faster runs (but struggling to up my speed) and yesterday did 8 miles on the South Downs from Devils Dyke to Truleigh hill and beyond. Loved it.

I am up to 779 miles for the year, so well ahead of my target of 1,500 for the year. It has been sad to miss so many races, I did the Mid Sussex Marathon weekend as a virtual race and kept to the 10m, 10m, 10k over 3 days. I was extra sad to miss the mad 26 laps of Plumpton racecourse 2 weeks ago and last Sunday I should have been doing the Torshavn Marathon in the Faroe Islands, but we have deferred that until next year.

Really missed being out with my running club but hope to link up with one or two for some runs soon. I have tbh been avoiding people as much as possible but need to get back to a bit more of a normality as set for a further 10 weeks (minimum) of working from home.

Anyway I plan to be a bit more active on here now I have logged back in

Stay strong, stay safe, keep running xx

Good stuff & welcome back - real shame about Plumpton, that would have been a laugh......looks like STE have had to bin pretty much everything as they've had their Scout Hut bookings cancelled. Did a Downs run yesterday that's exactly a half marathon distance if anyone ever fancies it - start at J&J Windmills car park, SDW to the Beacon, then cut right down to Falmer, turn left at the Swan along the A27 (cycle path) to Housedean Farm and then SDW back to J&J. Gnarly old route apart from the lovely road downhill to Falmer and the A27 bit with about 1,800ft of hills in total. Water available at halfway too :thumbsup:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think everything in 2020 will be. The Beachy organisers were very confident about the race being on until last week and they've admitted that it might not be on. That indicates to me that they've binned it already.

If the new post-covid runners carry on, next year's races could be massive!

Not so sure - James at Centurion for example is reasonably confident things might be able to work, even if restricted - there are all sorts of contingency plans ready to comply with SD rules etc (much easier with 300 people taking part in a 50/100 mile race than many 000s in a shorter one of course). Plan includes rolling starts over a longer period, only pre-packed food at aid stations (or your own drop bag) and clear 'one in one out' protocols, volunteers in PPE etc etc. I can see other organisers doing similar - the likes of Rick and Traviss for example will be gagging to put on any kind of event, even if they have to limit numbers.

As regards new runners, Centurion were expecting a few hundred to sign up for their virtual race week - in the end it was over 4,000. There's another one at the end of July that will properly sort the men from the boys if anyone is up for it - basically as much elevation as you can manage in a week.

https://www.centurionrunning.com/races/one-up-2020

OneUp.jpg

I worked out roughly what I needed to do to achieve 'Olympus Mons' - it'd be 155 times up and down the Tank Tracks (even without DOMS/injuries, that would be c7-8 hours a DAY for the week). Utterly, utterly undoable :lolol::lolol::lolol:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Not so sure - James at Centurion for example is reasonably confident things might be able to work, even if restricted - there are all sorts of contingency plans ready to comply with SD rules etc (much easier with 300 people taking part in a 50/100 mile race than many 000s in a shorter one of course). Plan includes rolling starts over a longer period, only pre-packed food at aid stations (or your own drop bag) and clear 'one in one out' protocols, volunteers in PPE etc etc. I can see other organisers doing similar - the likes of Rick and Traviss for example will be gagging to put on any kind of event, even if they have to limit numbers.

As regards new runners, Centurion were expecting a few hundred to sign up for their virtual race week - in the end it was over 4,000. There's another one at the end of July that will properly sort the men from the boys if anyone is up for it - basically as much elevation as you can manage in a week.

https://www.centurionrunning.com/races/one-up-2020

View attachment 124935

I worked out roughly what I needed to do to achieve 'Olympus Mons' - it'd be 155 times up and down the Tank Tracks (even without DOMS/injuries, that would be c7-8 hours a DAY for the week). Utterly, utterly undoable :lolol::lolol::lolol:

I've trekked Rum Doodle (12 days)and seen it as well:whistle: and have been just shy (just a Ben Nevis) of Olympus Mons with the walk back out (24 days)......doing it in a week is unthinkable as you say.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I've trekked Rum Doodle (12 days)and seen it as well:whistle: and have been just shy (just a Ben Nevis) of Olympus Mons with the walk back out (24 days)......doing it in a week is unthinkable as you say.

Did the Yogistanis offer any assistance or were you self-supported ?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
3k Time Trial tonight at the velodrome. Ran with two fine runners, one of which was [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] who beat me by 7/8 seconds. I finished last but did bag a PB in 10:45.

Will look at another mile TT next week.
[MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] can you update the table please.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Here's a question for the ORT collective: does pace breed pace – and if so, how quickly does it happen?

Last Tuesday I ran five miles at 7:32 ave pace, which was a bit of an effort, but I got it done. Since then, I've done my fastest 5k time for months (legs are still feeling it a bit!), nine riverbank miles a 8:18 ave pace and then this morning the same nine riverbank miles at 7:54 ave pace, which felt like hardly any effort at all. I've been running every day (not sure if that makes a difference or not), but somehow everything has just sort of clicked and now, all of a sudden, my comfortable easy running pace seems to got quicker, along with today's run, which amazed me a little bit. If I look back just a month ago, I was running that same route at an average pace of between 8:30-8:50 min/miles. So what gives?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
3k Time Trial tonight at the velodrome. Ran with two fine runners, one of which was [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] who beat me by 7/8 seconds. I finished last but did bag a PB in 10:45.

Good running there.

After [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] giving me a good session on Saturday but confusing pacing with racing:laugh::laugh: I'm thinking of going alone Saturday morning for my 5K attempt. I need to be in my own zone with progressive miles rather than 2 regressive followed by 1 at a struggle. Probably Palace Pier to Marina around 8am before wind picks up.

NAME NSC 5K NSC 5K AG NSC 3K NSC 3K AG
Big Nuts 18:16 74.72% 10:45 72.19%
Simgull 21:0772.17%
GNT 21:24(W) 78.38% (W) 12:52 74.11%
Greg Bobkin 21:27
Knocky 21:58 73.01%
Bob! 24:00 67.42%

NAME NSC Mile AG NSC Mile Time
Artie Fufkin 80.57% 4:59
Knocky 77.74% 5:56
Fitzcarraldo 76.04% 4:53
GNT 75.37% 6:24
Big Nuts 73.15% 5.22
Penny's Harmonica 71.35% 6:025
Ninja 69.89% 5:21
Anchorman 69.36% 6:39
Dazzer6666 68.13% 6:26

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running

Fantastic running guys! :thumbsup:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Some good virtual running by [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] [MENTION=88]Bob![/MENTION] [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] myself and a mile entry by [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION]
Don't have all ages for the AG column

The table makes me realise how old you lot are. Great show.

Big Nuts 18:16 74.72% 10:52 71.40%
Greg Bobkin 21:27
Bob! 24:00

Big Nuts 73.15% 5.22
Dazzer6666 6:26

I'm 42 for the AG column, please Gaffer.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Here's a question for the ORT collective: does pace breed pace – and if so, how quickly does it happen?

Last Tuesday I ran five miles at 7:32 ave pace, which was a bit of an effort, but I got it done. Since then, I've done my fastest 5k time for months (legs are still feeling it a bit!), nine riverbank miles a 8:18 ave pace and then this morning the same nine riverbank miles at 7:54 ave pace, which felt like hardly any effort at all. I've been running every day (not sure if that makes a difference or not), but somehow everything has just sort of clicked and now, all of a sudden, my comfortable easy running pace seems to got quicker, along with today's run, which amazed me a little bit. If I look back just a month ago, I was running that same route at an average pace of between 8:30-8:50 min/miles. So what gives?

Good question. Could be a myriad of reasons. Probably the increased mileage, potential weight loss? Increased confidence will all play a part.

I think getting yourself used to running at certain paces so they end up feeling comfortable is another reason. You should look back on your heart rate and see if it was really more comfortable or just felt like it.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running

Nice work! Really strong running! :thumbsup:

I'd say consistency, time spent running (frequency & volume), breeds pace. Not the pace of the runs. I think the benefits of running are pretty simple - the more we run, the better we get at it. Each time we go out for a run, no matter what the pace is, we're improving our aerobic capacity (cardiovascular system) through stressing our body.

Over time the absorption of consistent time spent running brings about positive aerobic adaptations leading to an improvement in pace, but to maintain consistency safely it's best not to work too hard too much.

I see many runners get too hung up on the pace of their runs, leading to working too hard (too much stress) on their runs and risking injuries, resulting in a breakdown in consistency. It's tough to leave our pride at the door when we go out for a run but if we do I think it leads to getting better and faster. It takes time though.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I'd say consistency, time spent running (frequency & volume), breeds pace. Not the pace of the runs. I think the benefits of running are pretty simple - the more we run, the better we get at it. Each time we go out for a run, no matter what the pace is, we're improving our aerobic capacity (cardiovascular system) through stressing our body.

Over time the absorption of consistent time spent running brings about positive aerobic adaptations leading to an improvement in pace, but to maintain consistency safely it's best not to work too hard too much.

I see many runners get too hung up on the pace of their runs, leading to working too hard (too much stress) on their runs and risking injuries, resulting in a breakdown in consistency. It's tough to leave our pride at the door when we go out for a run but if we do I think it leads to getting better and faster. It takes time though.

*Puts hand up*

I've done my knee again, only a few weeks after doing it previously. It seems Saturday was too much, with the 16.7 miles and then dog walks taking me up to about 25 miles for the day. I felt it go in the middle of my walk with the dog on Sunday morning.

Because I'm stupid I then ran three slow miles on it on Sunday afternoon and I've been limping ever since. That didn't stop me going out at 9:30 last night and hobbling along for a solitary mile on the Downs to keep my runstreak in tact.

I need to re-visit the glutei exercises given to me by a sports physio who diagnosed my knee issue as stemming from my glutes (Google tells me this is common), and I also think I need to put more focus on forefoot striking as I'm a bit of a heel striker.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'm 42 for the AG column, please Gaffer.

Cheers.

All my fast stuff comes predominantly from mileage and maybe 5% from running intervals. Without the endurance |I drop like a fly. I'm caught out this week as just recovered from Saturday and need to not overdo it for this Saturday's effort. So 5X1/2 mile intervals coming up shortly and then 5m easy tomorrow.

Big Nuts 18:16 74.72% 10:45 72.19%
Greg Bobkin 21:27 64.8%
Bob! 24:00 67.42%

Big Nuts 73.15% 5.22
Dazzer6666 68.13% 6:26

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
*Puts hand up*

I've done my knee again, only a few weeks after doing it previously. It seems Saturday was too much, with the 16.7 miles and then dog walks taking me up to about 25 miles for the day. I felt it go in the middle of my walk with the dog on Sunday morning.

Because I'm stupid I then ran three slow miles on it on Sunday afternoon and I've been limping ever since. That didn't stop me going out at 9:30 last night and hobbling along for a solitary mile on the Downs to keep my runstreak in tact.

I need to re-visit the glutei exercises given to me by a sports physio who diagnosed my knee issue as stemming from my glutes (Google tells me this is common), and I also think I need to put more focus on forefoot striking as I'm a bit of a heel striker.

Sorry to hear that Bozza. Gutted for you. Injuries suck! Hope the knee settles down and you're back out soon. A visit to a physio once they're open would be good.

I'd suggest being careful when trying to focus on forefoot striking. Trying to make changes to our running gait can be very hard and can lead to other issues flaring up. I know forefoot running is widely considered the best form in terms of running efficiency but some of the best elite runners in the world have been and are "heel strikers". It doesn't do them a lot of harm.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Cheers.

All my fast stuff comes predominantly from mileage and maybe 5% from running intervals. Without the endurance |I drop like a fly. I'm caught out this week as just recovered from Saturday and need to not overdo it for this Saturday's effort. So 5X1/2 mile intervals coming up shortly and then 5m easy tomorrow.

Nice Gaffer! Wise words once again. :) I'm big on periodised training too. Have fun with the intervals today.

I decided to have a stab at some intervals this morning to blow the cobwebs off. Just 6 x 4 mins with 90 secs recovery back and forth on an undulating strip of country road but it was great fun!

I was aiming to keep them within 5:30-5:40 range, so pretty happy with 5:41, 5:41, 5:33, 5:35, 5:30, 5:27.

I'm back to all reasonably comfortable effort running for the rest of the week I think.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Good question. Could be a myriad of reasons. Probably the increased mileage, potential weight loss? Increased confidence will all play a part.

I think getting yourself used to running at certain paces so they end up feeling comfortable is another reason. You should look back on your heart rate and see if it was really more comfortable or just felt like it.

Thanks chaps. I think it's a combination of a lot of the elements you mentioned, what surprised me was the sudden turnaround since a couple of weeks ago. Definitely the weight loss has played its part. I'm a stone and a half down now (and half a pound off my original target), so hauling less mass around is obviously making a difference.

I learned a long time ago not to get hung up about performances and just enjoy running, or else what's the point? But that's not to say I never want to push myself, so at some point I'll get stuck into the 3k and one-mile challenges.

On another note, I see NZ parkrun has announced its return, I wonder when we'll all be charging around Hove Park again? Can't see it being anytime soon, to be honest. I'll probably be back up to 14.5 stone by then :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here