Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Zerbi's contract release clause

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
"As reported by Italian journalist Daniele Longo, Brighton inserted a €13m release clause in De Zerbi’s four-year contract, a sign of their belief in the former Sassuolo coach."

Isn't this less than what Potter's release clause was?

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
"As reported by Italian journalist Daniele Longo, Brighton inserted a €13m release clause in De Zerbi’s four-year contract, a sign of their belief in the former Sassuolo coach."

Isn't this less than what Potter's release clause was?
Potter's was stated as being £20m I think, or there abouts, but that fee was quoted as being for him and all the staff he took.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Potter's was stated as being £20m I think, or there abouts, but that fee was quoted as being for him and all the staff he took.
I thought GPott was £21m while everyone else was a further £5m.

Plus that's was after Potter signed an extension.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
11498BF7-3AF8-4FFE-98AC-CFFB24CFD793.jpeg

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I thought GPott was £21m while everyone else was a further £5m.

Plus that's was after Potter signed an extension.
It was widely reported as £16 million for Potter and then a million each for Reid, Roberts, Bruno, Hamberg and Macaulay to make it £21 million in total.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
€13m is still one of the highest ever. Probably what zerbi insisted on.

Ac Milan have zero cash until they sell the Portuguese winger to Chelsea. Completely cash strapped.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
I doubt De Zerbi is currently being paid as much as Potter was before he left, so makes sense that his release clause would be lower

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patreon
Oct 20, 2022
It was widely reported as £16 million for Potter and then a million each for Reid, Roberts, Bruno, Hamberg and Macaulay to make it £21 million in total.

correct according to media outlets - but now it would apparently cost £20m to lure him away from Chelsea (although presumably not if he got fired then GP would be very heavily in pocket for termination of a contract worth upwards of £50m!)

If we loose RDZ it won’t be to Italy (or Ukraine which he’s also hinted at returning to ’one day’) ££££

Last edited:

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
As we saw with potter if a manager wants to go and a club want them badly enough then any release clause will just get paid
Absolutely, and for the most important component in any team €13m is pocket change. Not far off the €10m loan fee Chelsea paid to borrow Joao Felix for 5 months.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Don’t think we have any ‘release clause’ in any contracts. It’s more a compensation thing. They are tied to contracts aren’t they? Release clause in this context is just compensation no?

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Um ..... before we start discussing the ins and outs do we know if this is actually true? I thought the club didn't like release clauses?

During the transfer window we'd see a tweet or whatever from a journalist or someone with 'sources' and instantly dismiss it, now we seem to be treating it as Gospel!

Um ..... before we start discussing the ins and outs do we know if this is actually true? I thought the club didn't like release clauses?

During the transfer window we'd see a tweet or whatever from a journalist or someone with 'sources' and instantly dismiss it, now we seem to be treating it as Gospel!
Likewise, supposedly Ally mac has a 62 million fee if someone wants him in summer?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Quite possibly a made up figure.

I would expect we would have looked to add a compensation figure into his contract, which his agent would have been sensible to keep as low as possible.

It's not a reflection on whether the club valued him less than Potter

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here