Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Zerbi kicking off

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I thought one particular incident summed up the way Fulham were taking the piss, and the lack of authority the ref had....at the start of the second half the kick off had to be delayed because the Fulham players had the little cones out, doing short sprints, etc, while we had to hang around waiting. Bizarre. Given the ref gave De Zerbi a red card for some post-match comments, it's strange that he seemed happy to wait for the Fulham back-room staff to collect up the cones, all in their own time. I think any decent ref would have given them an earful (or, better, spotted what was going on as he emerged from the tunnel - he just didn't seem to have a clue what was going on around him).
Good point. That summed their whole attitude, just one big piss take.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
I thought one particular incident summed up the way Fulham were taking the piss, and the lack of authority the ref had....at the start of the second half the kick off had to be delayed because the Fulham players had the little cones out, doing short sprints, etc, while we had to hang around waiting. Bizarre. Given the ref gave De Zerbi a red card for some post-match comments, it's strange that he seemed happy to wait for the Fulham back-room staff to collect up the cones, all in their own time. I think any decent ref would have given them an earful (or, better, spotted what was going on as he emerged from the tunnel - he just didn't seem to have a clue what was going on around him).
I noticed that too and thought that was very weird. My coverage on Peacock came back from it's usual halftime fannying around to Fulham players doing warm ups. Clearly they were expecting the second half to kick off because god knows they wouldn't miss the chance to squeeze in an extra commercial.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I think that what you are saying could be right. Someone recently told me they were considering giving up their ticket due to games like Villa and now Fulham. These kind of games are certainly making me think that if this trend continues, I will reconsider whether to renew next year. It only needs a few games like this and then a few where var gets it wrong and a whole season's work goes down the tubes.
Better just put your ticket on the exchange for matches against Villa, Fulham and probably Brentford. Go and enjoy the rest. Oh, and maybe Bournemouth.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I would love to hear Howard Webb explain to RDZ why this wasn’t a penalty. He pulled his shirt so hard his sleeve went over his elbow. Because of this mitoma could not move the ball which allowed the Fulham player to get a toe on it. I have no idea how anyone could watch this and decide it was not a penalty. What is the holding law if it is not pulling someone over by their shirt? Did he need to rip the shirt for it to count as a hard enough pull?

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
For me it was poor officiating but Fulham players didn't help.
Gamesmanship, professionalism, game management, cheating take your pick.
All I know is something has to change.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Good on De Zerbi!

The ref should have clamped down on the time wasting much earlier. Too often players went down and were sent to the touchline only to be allowed straight back on again. If I were him, I'd have spotted this and started to leave their players on the touchline for a good 30 seconds. That would have got across the message that he was alive to their time wasting.

The trouble is that these refs aren't transparent. We need to hear what they are saying when they are making decisions. They have to be mic'd up. It's not hard. So many other sports do it, but yet again, football is lagging behind. More transparency will bring better respect for refs too.

Like this...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I would love to hear Howard Webb explain to RDZ why this wasn’t a penalty. He pulled his shirt so hard his sleeve went over his elbow. Because of this mitoma could not move the ball which allowed the Fulham player to get a toe on it. I have no idea how anyone could watch this and decide it was not a penalty. What is the holding law if it is not pulling someone over by their shirt? Did he need to rip the shirt for it to count as a hard enough pull?

It seems you have to actually go down in order for the referee (or referees like England) to recognise a foul and award a free kick or penalty. See also when Solly had his calf raked by an awful challenge, but hopped around and stayed on his feet. The ref gave nothing, and they went on and won a corner from that move, following what was a quite blatant foul. Astonishing buffoonery again from a truly DISMAL performance by the ref.

THIS is why players go down "easily". You get nothing for staying on your feet. Sadly its just a vicious circle.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Did you notice the multiple mistakes he made when two players were contesting for the ball and giving the foul to the wrong team? Funnily enough every one of these decisions were given in favour of Fulham.

And Robinson got booked for dissent after he picked the ball up for a throw-in that had clearly come off Mitoma but the ref thought had come off him. So things even out.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
It seems you have to actually go down in order for the referee (or referees like England) to recognise a foul and award a free kick or penalty. See also when Solly had his calf raked by an awful challenge, but hopped around and stayed on his feet. The ref gave nothing, and they went on and won a corner from that move, following what was a quite blatant foul. Astonishing buffoonery again from a truly DISMAL performance by the ref.

THIS is why players go down "easily". You get nothing for staying on your feet. Sadly its just a vicious circle.
Sadly, I think you are right.

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014
Good on De Zerbi!

The ref should have clamped down on the time wasting much earlier. Too often players went down and were sent to the touchline only to be allowed straight back on again. If I were him, I'd have spotted this and started to leave their players on the touchline for a good 30 seconds. That would have got across the message that he was alive to their time wasting.

The trouble is that these refs aren't transparent. We need to hear what they are saying when they are making decisions. They have to be mic'd up. It's not hard. So many other sports do it, but yet again, football is lagging behind. More transparency will bring better respect for refs too.

Like this...

I’m shocked, and I feel dirty for saying this, but I really enjoyed that. Is that wrong?! On the basis of that, I think I’d really like to see that in the PL. I would go as far as to say it added to my entertainment. 😵

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Roberto De Zerbi has been charged by the FA over his conduct at the end of Albion's defeat by Fulham.

He has until Monday to respond to the charge

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here