Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Zeqiri *Season-long loan to FC Augsburg*

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Before last night he's looked like a lad who has won a competition to be a footballer, far too keen, trying far too hard and it hasn't really come off for him.

Last night he played like he deserved to be there and the improvement was obvious for all to see.

Obviously we don't know what goes on behind the scenes I assume GP and co have had a word and told him to calm down a bit, just do what you do in training and it'll happen for you.

Took his "goal" incredibly well, with the coolness of a 30 goal a season striker. Connelly certainly needs to learn some of that composure in front of goal.

Oh you're using that recent cliche to criticise our players, also thrown at Tau recent games.

Zeqiri had a decent debut as a substitute, great flick on to Maupay who was fouled for the penalty and a clever unnoticed foul on the player that gave Dunk a clear header to score.

He played better yesterday and seems promising.

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
I would like to see him play alongside Maupay

I reckon big fella little fella pairing would work

I particularly like the fact he’s prepared to have a shot and hasn’t bought into the perfect goal that as much as I loved the goal against Leeds we can’t rely on scoring one every game

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
He looks young and inexperienced (probably because he is young and inexperienced) but I think he has improved each time I have seen him play for us. If he continues that then shirley that's a very good reason to be optimistic about him :thumbsup:

Arrid

Jul 26, 2004
I am sometimes staggered by what other Albion fans see that I don't. Maupay works his socks off closing down oppo defenders, he's great at holding the ball up and is our leading scorer (though not in a purple patch at the moment).

All about opinions I suppose. Playing devils advocate here but maybe the fact that Maupay has scored 4 goals from open play in 21 appearances in the Premier League has a consequence of people looking to an alternative.

Maupay works hard of that there is little argument, "great" at holding the ball up is perhaps debatable, his touch at the moment is that of someone lacking a bit of confidence.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
All about opinions I suppose. Playing devils advocate here but maybe the fact that Maupay has scored 4 goals from open play in 21 appearances in the Premier League has a consequence of people looking to an alternative.

Maupay works hard of that there is little argument, "great" at holding the ball up is perhaps debatable, his touch at the moment is that of someone lacking a bit of confidence.

In a side which would be 5th on xg and so is clearly creating chances

Yes, I think we should be looking at alternatives as well.

Neal hasn't scored a goal this season which I wouldn't expect a PL striker to score comfortably.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
He looks like what he is to me, a young player who's raw but with some potential. It's good that he's showing promise but I don't think he's currently anywhere near worth starting yet.

I worry that off the back of one half decent showing there's going to be a certain weight of expectation on him and when it turns out he's not a match winning striker in the next few weeks he'll get written off.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Ok, before last night he's been shit. Better?

But, but, but I just don't understand, as he has plainly not been shit before last night! Did you miss the Wolves game? I don't think he's been a headless chicken. Obviously trying a bit too hard and boundless enthusiasm but he's made much more of an impression than I personally expected for a young lad from Swiss Div 2 (?)

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
He is enthusiastic and looks to get a shot off early. He is a threat and could end up as anything. On what I see at the moment I envisage him a success and a good goal scorer in Division 1. Hopefully he will improve. It will be great if he does well because personality and style wise he looks a character and a crowd pleaser.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
He looks a good player, and he has every time I've seen him play. Which is only a small handful, but it's enough to be encouraging for me. I think it's very tough to expect any young player to go straight into the Premier League though. I think he needs a loan spell away but it won't hurt him training with the first team every week and we can see where we are in the summer.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
But, but, but I just don't understand, as he has plainly not been shit before last night!

What don't you understand? That I'm allowed to have a difference of opinion to you? And no you are right, he hasn't been shit I was just using that as you seemed to object to my previous comment. However he hasn't been very good either.

Did you miss the Wolves game?

No I didn't miss the Wolves game.

I don't think he's been a headless chicken.

I disagree.

Obviously trying a bit too hard and boundless enthusiasm but he's made much more of an impression than I personally expected for a young lad from Swiss Div 2 (?)

I didn't expect anything from him to be honest. We've not had a great record in recent years signing lads on the cheap from european minor leagues. That said he showed promise last night and it's certainly far too early to write him off.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
21 years old.

He did look good. Unlucky not to score. Nice finish for his disallowed goal.

Mac Allister was 21 a year ago. Biss was 21 3 years ago. Just for a bit of perspective of the timeline of development, like.

Could be a top player. He's at the right club.

There's no point comparing players by age, Michael Owen was winning the Ballon d'Or at 22, and Ian Wright was still on the building site at 21.

All we should do is look at how well he is doing, considering he is stepping up from the Swiss 2nd division.

He's doing great.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Nice to hear that he looked good yesterday. I've not seen a lot of him - against Sheffield I turned my screen of in panic and angst when they scored so I missed his cameo. Yesterday I was out drinking. Must say the few times I've seen him (Wolves and some other game) I think he's looked a bit out of his depth - naturally considering how inexperienced he is - but the fact that GP gives him odd minutes here and there indicates that there must be a certain belief in him. And I have no doubt in Potters ability to spot out a talent, so there should be a bunch of potential in this guy.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I think it's fascinating that we have signed a guy who's played almost his entire career in the Swiss second division - and he seems to be decent enough to play in the Premier League (even if he's coming off the bench). Of course everyone has to start somewhere, but even the Swiss Super League (their top division) is only ranked 17th in Europe (according to UEFA)....so I would imagine the Swiss second division is a long way down the list (possibly even below League One in England?). If he keeps on progressing it will be an almighty coup for the recruitment team. We could have spent £23m on Brewster....

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I think it's fascinating that we have signed a guy who's played almost his entire career in the Swiss second division - and he seems to be decent enough to play in the Premier League (even if he's coming off the bench). Of course everyone has to start somewhere, but even the Swiss Super League (their top division) is only ranked 17th in Europe (according to UEFA)....so I would imagine the Swiss second division is a long way down the list (possibly even below League One in England?). If he keeps on progressing it will be an almighty coup for the recruitment team. We could have spent £23m on Brewster....

Below League One eight days a week, some teams would maybe survive League Two.

Very impressive indeed.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Needs to develop his physicality but I’m sure he will. Great experience for him last night, and he got plenty of shots off, which is an encouraging start.

Will need to have good decision making as a striker. Lots of pressure to score goals but sometimes keeping his head up may be the better option. Other times it’s best to show ruthlessness and test the keeper instead. It’s always a difficult balance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here