Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Zaha

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
You let your five year old play Call of Duty?!!??

Also the post that started this little shitfest was yours all full of shock and indignation. But you have now totally contradicted yourself, so which is it? or are you winging it

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Mate you are one huge contradiction. I hope you are bullshitting about you're pay grade as I know that anything you said would get pulled apart as you are basically full of shite.

I do not have a link as I read about the most recent study in a paper a few weeks ago, It was conducted in America and involved over 300 children. You have called me a bad parent but yet now say that playing COD would not in itself affect a child. He is not learning anything from COD but he knows he is just playing a game. If the children you teach cannot tell the difference in year one between a game and reality then maybe a better teacher is required(okay that was a little dig). He realises its a game and that is that, I know he will not go and get a gun when he is older and go and do 50 buzzkills(whatever that is).

In fact please tell me exactly what you are qualified in as I may then take what you say more seriously?

Be my guest.

So share with me the proof you have that playing CoD is not and will not have a negative effect on your boys development. For me this evidence would have to be rock solid to gamble with my children's development as you are.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
So you don't let him watch adult films?

Depends what you class as adult.

His favourite are the Indiana Jones collection of films which involve killing and some blood, he also love star wars and superman. Now if you self righteous lot are telling me your children have never seen any these films, then I would be surprised and anyone who does not just want to bash the Palace fan would probably think that as well.
He would not watch saw, which I have not seen myself but understand it is pretty gory. He would not watch a film that is laden with swear words but will see the odd film that has the odd swear word in it, but yet he never swears apart from one instance of dogshit.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Depends what you class as adult.

His favourite are the Indiana Jones collection of films which involve killing and some blood, he also love star wars and superman. Now if you self righteous lot are telling me your children have never seen any these films, then I would be surprised and anyone who does not just want to bash the Palace fan would probably think that as well.
He would not watch saw, which I have not seen myself but understand it is pretty gory. He would not watch a film that is laden with swear words but will see the odd film that has the odd swear word in it, but yet he never swears apart from one instance of dogshit.

So you won't let him watch gory films but will let him play gory computer games? What is the difference?

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
You let your five year old play Call of Duty?!!??

Be my guest.

So share with me the proof you have that playing CoD is not and will not have a negative effect on your boys development. For me this evidence would have to be rock solid to gamble with my children's development as you are.

Excuse me, I am just a parent. You are the one who started this and is putting himself forward as the expert, you are the one who states that all this is right in the middle of your pay grade, so once again I am asking you what exactly is your area of expertise? how are you qualified. Seriously I may take you at more than face value then

I do not actually expect a direct answer but a way to squirm yourself out of it, I may find buzzer annoying but at least he comes back with a direct response and does not change his tune every other post.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Also the post that started this little shitfest was yours all full of shock and indignation. But you have now totally contradicted yourself, so which is it? or are you winging it

No contradiction here, Computer games are fine for most children of a reasonable age (although some people do react negatively to them especially those whose boundaries of reality and fantasy are somewhat blurred (like kids)). But gory and violent images contained in them are not okay for very young children.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If it happened at the school believe me I would know
How? Is your child followed by an adult every minute at school? You do realise they go in the playground and tease each other, without adults hanging on their every word?

can you tell me where I have said he watches adult films?
Sure:

I used to play cowboys and indians when I was younger, I also used to watch horror films. My son can tell the difference between something that is not real and something that is. What exactly is you're problem? is it the fake blood? the people getting killed? which he can see on tv and in most action films anyway

I let him watch most tv/films within reason, if he he see's someone get punched on tv he does not then go and punch someone else, but who knows he may have been taught gow to behave not just by not watching the right tv.

I have called people far worse but never in front of my son
So what's me calling you a mug got to do with anything then? It wasn't in front of my children.
she must have heard the scum comment from someone
Yes, as I already explained, she goes to football matches, including those against you. I have since explained to her how some words aren't appropriate outside of the football stadium.

Some years ago in the US, a 6 year old slashed her brother with a knife (presumably a kitchen knife) because she'd seen it on Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. She didn't mean to hurt him, she didn't understand the difference between reality and fiction. Like your son, who believe father Christmas is real.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Excuse me, I am just a parent. You are the one who started this and is putting himself forward as the expert, you are the one who states that all this is right in the middle of your pay grade, so once again I am asking you what exactly is your area of expertise? how are you qualified. Seriously I may take you at more than face value then

I do not actually expect a direct answer but a way to squirm yourself out of it, I may find buzzer annoying but at least he comes back with a direct response and does not change his tune every other post.

Did you miss the part where I stated quite clearly that I am a teacher and my are of expertise is the development of children's brains.

If you are just a parent, then how can you be so sure that you are not damaging the development of your child by exposing him to inappropriate images that you are willing to take such a risk?

I wonder if you will be so kind as to answer my direct question?

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Be my guest.

Can you show me the rock solid evidence that it is? and not the one you first linked to as the Dr in questioned has contradicted that himself

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
How? Is your child followed by an adult every minute at school? You do realise they go in the playground and tease each other, without adults hanging on their every word?

Sure:

So what's me calling you a mug got to do with anything then? It wasn't in front of my children.
Yes, as I already explained, she goes to football matches, including those against you. I have since explained to her how some words aren't appropriate outside of the football stadium.

Some years ago in the US, a 6 year old slashed her brother with a knife (presumably a kitchen knife) because she'd seen it on Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. She didn't mean to hurt him, she didn't understand the difference between reality and fiction. Like your son, who believe father Christmas is real.

Set it out a bit better and I may respond

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Did you miss the part where I stated quite clearly that I am a teacher and my are of expertise is the development of children's brains.

If you are just a parent, then how can you be so sure that you are not damaging the development of your child by exposing him to inappropriate images that you are willing to take such a risk?

I wonder if you will be so kind as to answer my direct question?

Mate without meaning to be rude, you are a teacher. You are certainly not in the same paygrade as a psychologist and nowhere near the level of expertise.
I can be relatively sure that it is not damaging his brain as how one game can undo a childs upbringing is beyond me and you have said that yourself. I read a bit of what Trigaaar wrote above and as soon as I saw teenage mutant ninja turtles I realised he is not worth getting into this with, he should stick to the daily mail.

What direct question?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Can you show me the rock solid evidence that it is? and not the one you first linked to as the Dr in questioned has contradicted that himself

No, it would seem that studies into 5 year olds playing violent and graphic video games are a little thin on the ground. I suppose there could be a couple of explanations for this:
1. It is absolutely fine and doesn't need investigating
2. it is so obviously not fine that it doesn't need investigating

Perhaps you should contact the Dr. I linked to earlier and tell him that you are currently conducting a longitudinal study on your five year old and maybe he would like to get involved.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Mate without meaning to be rude, you are a teacher. You are certainly not in the same paygrade as a psychologist and nowhere near the level of expertise.
I can be relatively sure that it is not damaging his brain as how one game can undo a childs upbringing is beyond me and you have said that yourself. I read a bit of what Trigaaar wrote above and as soon as I saw teenage mutant ninja turtles I realised he is not worth getting into this with, he should stick to the daily mail.

What direct question?

Never mind. Hope it works out okay for you.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
No, it would seem that studies into 5 year olds playing violent and graphic video games are a little thin on the ground. I suppose there could be a couple of explanations for this:
1. It is absolutely fine and doesn't need investigating
2. it is so obviously not fine that it doesn't need investigating

Perhaps you should contact the Dr. I linked to earlier and tell him that you are currently conducting a longitudinal study on your five year old and maybe he would like to get involved.

No perhaprs I will not, perhaps you could contact him and explain that you are stating work as true that he has himself contradicted as fact, oh and why you are there tell him that your paygrade and expertise are on a level with him, you may be told where to go though.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Never mind. Hope it works out okay for you.

Exactly, unlike yourself I do not pretend to be an expert. But at least I am not a fraud. I am actually looking forward to buzzer coming back as at least he is consistent and knows the points he is arguing. Goodnight Doctor

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Exactly, unlike yourself I do not pretend to be an expert. But at least I am not a fraud. I am actually looking forward to buzzer coming back as at least he is consistent and knows the points he is arguing. Goodnight Doctor

To be honest your levels of idiocy far surpassed my initial expectations (drag you down to their level and all that). Anyway i genuinely hope I am wrong and that your instinct/proof (or what ever it is) is correct and you have not had an adverse effect on him.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

I've really got no comeback. This is just a football forum and none of it matters, your 5 year old does. If you can't see the damage you're doing in letting him play those games and watch those films you've described then that's so sad - and that's not from a rival fan but from one dad to another.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
My lads at 5 years old had just moved on from Thomas The Tank. We used to play Super Mario and i never gave it a thought to let them play the violent games and i'm sure at that age they were not really aware of them. The legal age to drink is 18, but most have a drink before this age, these violent games are age 18 and most kids have played them years before......but surely not 13 years earlier.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It wasn't aimed at anyone in particular. I'm just a bit embarrassed by this desperation we seem to have on this board of finding things to berate Palace for. It's fine to beat them with sticks that actually hurt but getting all excited over their former player not being picked by his new club is a bit weak, that's all.

Is anyone here actually doing that? It is quite amusing that Zaha is clearly nowhere as good as Palace fans made out, but that's it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here