[Football] Zaha watch - *** The SEGW finally managed to escape***

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
In actual fact Zaha is sitting quite pretty.
By signing a highly paid, long term contract he has secured his and his family's financial security. Such deals will be a rarity in the post-Covid world..

Was thinking that myself. He's got a very high income secured for a few years, and doesn't now have to put much effort in to keep the money rolling in (as he would if he was relying on a big money transfer). Low effort = low value = stays where he is.

As usual it looks like Palace are in trouble for the coming season. But no doubt, as usual, they will find some way to survive.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Now I’m worried. Can we possibly hold on to Potter if Palace come calling :nono:

“On the managerial side, Dyche is much touted but I would be happy with Potter if we could get him”

Yes. Among some quite sensible posts about "the mess behind the scenes" there's the usual stuff like that.........

However, the general split seems to be "Hodgson will never bring young players through." vs "Hodgson has the nous to keep us up with the old squad we have."

Financial differences apart, that does sound quite familiar. Although we did/do have lots of decent players out on loan, I don't know about that situation with Palace but I guess it's not so rosy.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Genuine question. Who else do they actually have that they can sell for a decent fee to balance the books? Or are they praying that Disney cons some other foreigners to chuck a load of cash in to cover the losses?

They always seem to pull something out of the bag, but the bag looks to be empty.
Don't forget, they also have Benteke, who they can also rely on for a big payday if required.

*snigger*

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Last edited:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Palace have today been granted category A by the Premier League for their academy.

They must have sorted out their vermin problem.

Probably be sponsored by Rentokil now.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I think Zaha would actually be a good re-signing for Man Utd, particularly if they have a 40% sell on fee. That would knock his price down to a much more reasonable level.

Utd have a very good front three of Rashford, Martial and Greenwood but beyond that they only really have James as a replacement. They're going to have a lot of games next season so can't rely on the main three playing all game every game so Zaha would get plenty of game time and he'd get some European football and a shot at a trophy or two.

Whether United would come back in for him though is another matter.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I think Zaha would actually be a good re-signing for Man Utd, particularly if they have a 40% sell on fee. That would knock his price down to a much more reasonable level.

Utd have a very good front three of Rashford, Martial and Greenwood but beyond that they only really have James as a replacement. They're going to have a lot of games next season so can't rely on the main three playing all game every game so Zaha would get plenty of game time and he'd get some European football and a shot at a trophy or two.

Whether United would come back in for him though is another matter.

I assume what you mean is that the 40% sell on fee, means that it would only be United that would consider coming in for him/
As it would knock the price down to a sensible level (possibly even a bit of a bargain).

Even so, they can probably spend £30m on better prospects, in the post-Corona market.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Only palace could discuss their aging squad and Pirlo in the same sentence.

Then move onto 5th biggest side in London, equal with Watford, who much like palace:-

ISN'T IN LONDON.

Yes - apparently, the fifth biggest club almost in London.

We suffer from being a London club:

1. Arsenal / Spurs / Chelsea
2. West Ham
3. Palace / Watford

We are probaly the 5th biggest club in London. If any of the above are interested in a player chances are they will get him first as bar Watford they are bigger clubs.

If Brentford make it up this season, as they move into their shiny new ground, Palace will soon drop a place, anyway.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
From the Palace forum. You could replace "Hodgson" with "Hughton" and it was what a lot of our fans were saying......

There’s nothing wrong with having core of experienced players as a strong foundation to a team.
Indeed they’ve been a key component in our staying in the division for so long.
At some point though it is necessary to blood youngsters with a view to replacing or supplementing the experienced players.
I just don’t see Hodgson doing this.
Even if an experienced player is woefully out of form he will continue to play him and not give others an opportunity.
On the rare occasions he has used them he has tried to shoehorn them into a system which doesn’t suit them (e.g Meyer on right or left of a nominal front three).
His rigidity and safety first approach does not augur well for the involvement of young or inexperienced players.

I think Hodgson will go and Zaha will stay and count his millions while not doing very much on the pitch. They will get a more progressive manager in (even Dyche would fit this bill :lolol: ) and a few younger loan players. The success of this being make or break for the future of the club long and short term.

BIAS version, I hope they royally screw it up and get relegated by Christmas.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
From the Palace forum. You could replace "Hodgson" with "Hughton" and it was what a lot of our fans were saying......

I think Hodgson will go and Zaha will stay and count his millions while not doing very much on the pitch. They will get a more progressive manager in (even Dyche would fit this bill :lolol: ) and a few younger loan players. The success of this being make or break for the future of the club long and short term.

BIAS version, I hope they royally screw it up and get relegated by Christmas.

In my view, they have been screwing it up for a while now, but managed to bail themselves out with reactive decisions.

Next season will be key.
Their squad depth seems to be fairly poor.
With next season likely to start shortly after this one, they may struggle with injuries.

They no longer have the option to throw money at it, if it starts to go wrong.

But then I have been thinking the same thing for a fair few seasons now...

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I assume what you mean is that the 40% sell on fee, means that it would only be United that would consider coming in for him/
As it would knock the price down to a sensible level (possibly even a bit of a bargain).

Even so, they can probably spend £30m on better prospects, in the post-Corona market.

Yeah, that's basically what I meant.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Palace have today been granted category A by the Premier League for their academy.

:lolol::lolol:

Academy categories are more in relation to facilities, number of staff and education prospects etc rather than a ranking on how good it is.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
:lolol::lolol:

Academy categories are more in relation to facilities, number of staff and education prospects etc rather than a ranking on how good it is.

And budget. Spend more of running it helps to get Cat A

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham

I'm suprised. They have purchased alot of land off Beckenham Goals but driving past don't seem to have done anything with it. I still see the kids training on an astro pitch they borrow off Kent cricket. Maybe it's based on future plans.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Decent goal by him last night though.

It was a decent decent strike, but the 5Live pundits suggested the keeper would have been disappointed not to get something on it, as it went right over him.

Not sure if they're being harsh or not.

Screenshot 2020-07-08 at 11.02.42.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports