Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I didn’t even realise Wilf wasn’t his real name until today

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I must admit that for all the years he's been digging his Selhurst Park escape tunnel, I didn't think it would see him emerge blinking into the sunlight in Turkey of all places.

I had him as a bit too much of a homeboy for that.

Was this the best (or only) Champions League offer he had?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
There is no chance we play Galatasaray in the Europa is there?
It's possible.

They play Zalgris from Lithuania this week and next in the second qualifying round. You'd expect them to win that.

They'll then enter the third qualifying round with some better sides, but you'd still expect them to get through which will take them into the group stages proper.

Pretty much every exit point kicks out to a part of the Europa League though.

It would be hilarious if they got dumped out of the Champions League in the next 10 days, meaning he doesn't get to play in it, and then ends up at the Amex in the Europa League at some point!

Last edited:

theboybilly

Saws
It's possible.

They are Zalgris from Lithuania this week and next in the second qualifying round. You'd expect them to win that.

They'll then enter the third qualifying round with some better sides, but you'd still expect them to get through which will take them into the group stages proper.

Pretty much every exit point kicks out to a part of the Europa League though.

It would be hilarious if they got dumped out of the Champions League in the next 10 days, meaning he doesn't get to play in it, and then ends up at the Amex in the Europa League at some point!
Out of interest when was the 1st Qualifying Round?

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
In the last few months, we've seen no end of players turn up in Saudi, hoping that an obscene amount of cash will help them sleep at night. For Zaha to go to Turkey for one last shot at top-level European football, and to earn less than he would at his boyhood club, for me is worth applauding.

I wouldn't go so far as to wish him luck, but he has my good wishes.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Saws

Out of interest when was the 1st Qualifying Round?
11/12 and 18/19 July. Galatasaray weren't in that though - teams enter at different stages based on ranking.

The first qualifying round wasn't the start of it. Before that, there was a preliminary round where four clubs you've never heard of played semi-finals and a final in Iceland. The winner Breiðablik, an Icelandic club, progressed to the first qualifying round where they beat Shamrock Rovers over two legs.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Well, somebody wanted him after all. Not quite the level he hoped for but he's broken free at last. Fingers crossed he doesn't get homesick this time.

Quite funny that they were confident he'd not sign elsewhere and rejoin them. I hope he stringed them along as a way of sticking two fingers up at Beaky for tricking him all those years ago.

Good riddance. Don't come back.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Fraud player.

Knew he couldn't play for England so decided he was Ivorian, knew he'd be called out (again) at a top PL team. Crying again
I thought he had great talent, but sadly he's been coached by a retinue of old school chancers, self-styled mavericks and wankpuffins.

What chance did he ever have? ???

#prayforwilfy

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports