Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Your worst Albion home game......

Hazwaz

Jul 23, 2012
Hove
West Brom 1993,we got there late, raining throughout the match (steward told us there was a roof on our stand ,last year)we lost 3-1 i think .But then on the tannoy i heard my horse had won the Grand National,Esha Ness.The race that never was !!!

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
One that always sticks in my mind, and I'm not sure why was when we lost to Cambridge by two or three goals in the promotion year 78/9 - the one and only time I sat in the Goldstone, in the south stand.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I seem to remember a game in the early 90s when we lost at home to nine-man Doncaster (?). That was pretty bad.

Rotherham 93?

One of their reds was their keeper too

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
Brighton 3 Rochdale 4 - 1999 at a freezing wet Withdean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Walton & Hersham ....losing to the Leatherhead lip....8/2 to Bristol Rovers ..probably my top three ..purely from memory
Recent years Palace in the play offs and that trouncing by Bournemouth

I can't improve on that woeful list, with the possible exception of the Walsall nine man defeat at withdean

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
Southampton in the FA Cup quarter final 1985? One of the best and worst home games for me. First time I saw 25000 crowd at the Goldstone, brilliant atmosphere, really hyped up before the game....then the biggest disappointment when we lost. I moved away from Sussex in ‘89 so I missed all the games leading up to the demise of the Goldstone in the ‘90s, otherwise it probably would have been one of those.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Millwall under Hyypia. The only time I was gone at half time.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Brighton 3 Rochdale 4 - 1999 at a freezing wet Withdean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was just going to mention that game. That night was a horrific assault on the senses. It was a December evening so it was freezing cold, and it rained like it was a monsoon. I've been to cold football matches before, but being absolutely soaked made it bone chilling. And to top it off we lost the game.

You might think 4-3 was entertaining, but to get ourselves back in the game and then lose it on, a night that no sane human should have been outside, left me not only pondering why I had to come to the game but seriously questioning my ability to make life decisions.

Last edited:

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Palace in the playoffs.
Yes, depressing.... but whilst not at home, for a real anti climax, the 5-0 defeat at SP, after all those years of not playing them, the anticipation, and the old bill not even allowing us to leave.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Millwall under Hyypia. The only time I was gone at half time.

Harty Junior got thrown out that night after some handbags with the Millwall fans near the family stand, I was in the west in my box, and went and got him back in, the bloke on West reception was spluttering saying that I couldn’t really bring him back in.

To which I replied.
“If I’ve got to watch this crap so has he” 😂

monkeymz

Sep 27, 2011
Preston at home around 86 raining shit night they came with 6 cb at the back and they got the point they wanted

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
Against Stockport at Withdean on a return visit to UK, early 2006 I think - we lost 4-2.
It wasn't so much the scoreline, it was the absolute dire form of football we played - I was at the Goldstone for the 8-2 Smash & Grab exhibition and we were far worse than that.
Paul Reid played in that game and I was chatting to him about it at the Sydney REMF match a few years ago and he remembered as the lousiest in his time with the Albion.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Haven’t seen anyone mention it yet, but how about the original York game at The Goldstone? Abandoned very quickly and I don’t think I’ve felt quite as depressed at a football match ever. It felt like it could all be over, was expecting us to be expelled from the League. Luckily, we lived to fight another day....

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
I was just going to mention that game. That night was a horrific assault on the senses. It was a December evening so it was freezing cold, and it rained like it was a monsoon. I've been to cold football matches before, but being absolutely soaked made it bone chilling. And to top it off we lost the game.

You might think 4-3 was entertaining, but to get ourselves back in the game and then lose it on, a night that no sane human should have been outside, left me not only pondering why I had to come to the game but seriously questioning my ability to make life decisions.

Another vote for this. Think we turned up late, and may well have been 2-0 down early?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here